Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Fit vs Strava

• 01-05-2015 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I hardly ever bother using strava lately. I downloaded Google Fit and that requires no inputs to record an activity. It has both an autostart and autostop. Just leave the phone in your pocket and it does all the work. The downside is that it's pretty low on data. It really only gives you elapsed time. No elevation. No distance. No average speed. I was wondering if there is a way of uploading activities to strava from Google fit or a way of getting Strava to automatically record activities. It would be cool to set up a private segment that started outside my driveway and finished outside work and vice-versa just to track improvements on the commute.

Alternatively is there another app with an autostart feature?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Just use Strava FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

fcon wrote: »
    I hardly ever bother using strava lately. I downloaded Google Fit and that requires no inputs to record an activity. It has both an autostart and autostop. Just leave the phone in your pocket and it does all the work. The downside is that it's pretty low on data. It really only gives you elapsed time. No elevation. No distance. No average speed. I was wondering if there is a way of uploading activities to strava from Google fit or a way of getting Strava to automatically record activities. It would be cool to set up a private segment that started outside my driveway and finished outside work and vice-versa just to track improvements on the commute.

Can you not already do that with Strava? Create a route based on that and mark it private. Google should stick to being a search engine and thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Just consider the 5 button presses to start strava as a finger work out and incorporate it into your fitness program. You should use your left index finger on alternate days so you don't end up with odd sized fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

bazermc wrote: »
    Can you not already do that with Strava? Create a route based on that and mark it private. Google should stick to being a search engine and thats it

Google is well past been a search engine and has been for years. The strava on my mobile is running on Android which is made by ........?????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

neris wrote: »
    Google is well past been a search engine and has been for years. The strava on my mobile is running on Android which is made by ........?????

Some lads in China

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

FFS there's me like an idiot using the start and stop button for ages!!!111oneoneone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

godtabh wrote: »
    Some lads in China

But if Revenue ask they are in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

I was wondering if there is <> a way of getting Strava to automatically record activities.

If the few seconds to use fingers is too much, here's details of two over-engineered options - NFC tag start and voice activation...

https://www.reddit.com/r/tasker/comments/2c9rwt/how_to_task_to_automatically_start_and_stop_a/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    If the few seconds to use fingers is too much, here's details of two over-engineered options - NFC tag start and voice activation...

https://www.reddit.com/r/tasker/comments/2c9rwt/how_to_task_to_automatically_start_and_stop_a/

If you have an android wear watch you can just say 'start a bike ride' and it will start a cycle in strava.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

mcgovern wrote: »
    If you have an android wear watch you can just say 'start a bike ride' and it will start a cycle in strava.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeJ0ED4oISMYyPu5QSy562psQGKAEXKlVSCYp5jTfChNAIOS25vw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

mathie wrote: »
    FFS there's me like an idiot using the start and stop button for ages!!!111oneoneone

I nearly spat my tea out!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭fcon

Thanks for all the helpful replies, great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭27cyrix

Google - My Tracks, simple and it works

- record
    - stop
    - map
    - chart
    --- speed
    --- elevation
    - distance
    - calories
    - total time
    - moving time