Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Overheating

• 01-05-2015 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

Had the Diversion a few months now, everything grand so far. Usually once the temperature gets close to 100 the rad fan kicks in and keeps it down.

Riding home the other day and the engine light comes on (this was in city traffic). Noticed the temp was up around 115 and the fan was on, but was able to go on open roads for a bit, so that kept it down.

Noticed the coolant reservoir was close to empty so topped it up, but since then I'm noticing the engine temperature can go above 100 fairly often (especially in city traffic, natch), which it never seemed to before.

Anything else I should be checking? I popped the rad and it's got plenty of coolant in it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

fans coming on, so thats good

Could be worthwhile flushing and replacing the coolant entirely. Give the rad a careful clean (they're delicate enough) at the same time - could potentially remove it while the coolant is drained

make sure you fully bleed the system when you're refilling

how olds the bike? 600?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Wossack wrote: »
    fans coming on, so thats good

Could be worthwhile flushing and replacing the coolant entirely. Give the rad a careful clean (they're delicate enough) at the same time - could potentially remove it while the coolant is drained

make sure you fully bleed the system when you're refilling

how olds the bike? 600?

That was the next step, sourcing some wee spares (the gasket for the coolant drain bolt, etc.). Would you just use tap water to flush or something different?

Bike is the 2011 600cc so possibly about due a flush anyway, don't know if it's been done before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea I'd just run hose water though the system for a little while, then flush with a jug of distilled water, and then filled with proper coolant. Look after the coolant you drain, as its lethal to pets.. (smells sweet too, so theyre attracted to it). Cant just pour it down a drain either Im afraid

do check the vanes in the rad though - it acts like a sieve for the road shite, which when dries, blocks the air flow. Dont power wash it.. its more delicate then you'd think. I reckon that might be your issue more then anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A lot of this is pretty universal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

All those tips are very useful but instead of checking to see if coolant is in the bottle, check if it's in the rad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Fabio wrote: »
    All those tips are very useful but instead of checking to see if coolant is in the bottle, check if it's in the rad!

Rad was full!

Topping up the expansion with distilled water seems to have fixed it for now, but gonna do a coolant flush anyway for ****s and giggles. Cheers for the advice all.

Advertisement