Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donkeys on the farm

Options
  • 01-05-2015 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

What is the point of having donkeys on the farm nowadays? Are they any use? Do they give you more of a grant. I don't understand. Please help. Modest farmer just got into it looking at ways at improving my few fields. Complete novice please help? Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭lab man

Cattle wont get red water if a donkey grazes with them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

halter training show animals

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Have seen them used as companion animals with horses etc, they are meant to be great at helping keep an injured horse calm during recovery in the stables.

Apparently in the USA they are sometimes bonded with sheep, and left out in the pasture with them as many donkeys would have no problem protecting lambs from fox or wild dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Have seen them used as companion animals with horses etc, they are meant to be great at helping keep an injured horse calm during recovery in the stables.

Apparently in the USA they are sometimes bonded with sheep, and left out in the pasture with them as many donkeys would have no problem protecting lambs from fox or wild dog.

They are used with sheep here too, for protection from foxes / dogs. Apparently better when they have a small foal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Some people not into cattle just after the payments keep them ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Land needs to be maintained by grazing it
    Not always a lot out of cattle and more work and expense eg. Slurry they make a lot of it tb testing brucellosis testing vet fees bvd testing calf regs getting cards signed and stamped vet fees silage slurry spreading
    A few donkey's or horse's will graze tighter and you would have to worry about none of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

lab man wrote: »

Is that true and how does it work ?
    A mate of mine always has a donkey with the cows when they're ready to calve . He reckons there is no need to get up checking them because he can hear the donkey roaring when a calving starts . I don't know if it's just his donkey or are they all prone to do that .
    Personally I can't stand them around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mercury80

Omg that's great, how is red water prevented like this

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Mercury80 wrote: »
    Omg that's great, how is red water prevented like this

Donkey is a sponge for all the ticks, he'll be riddled with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Does that not have an effect on the donkey tho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I've heard of guys training young bulls to walk by tying them to a donkey and the donkey leads them around the pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Some laden near us run goats for the same reason.
    I've never seen any proper reasoning for it though. Would donkeys eat weeds like ragworth?? Goats seem to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Horse and donkeys shouldn't actually pasture together due to parasites. They are fiercely loyal animals and have been used with racehorses to help calm them as you say. There was a famous racer whose name escapes me who would refused to load in the lorry without the donkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I have a negative memory regarding donkeys on mixed grazing and been active in the life cycle of liver fluke :confused:
    Wouldn't have one around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

For years my grandfather used to tell me that an ass was good for two jobs on a farm.
    Taking in hay, and putting out dung. I think I was a teenager before it finally dawned on me what he was on about!

In recent years though I've softened towards asses. The countryside would be worse for their demise.
    The same asses drew some turf off the bogs around me in their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Had a few donkeys here over the years. Last one was let go May 14 and we took over the milking ourselves!!

My Dad used to say 'in business if you meet an ass you should ride it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Alot of lads say they're lucky on the land. Now I'm not the superstitious type but who knows. Have nothing against them. Nice animal imo, though they can mow some ground

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

I'm a bit confused ... I hear regularly about donkeys spreading this and that and spreading worms but if you dose them like you would a horse is that not problem solved at least that's what I do with mine ... never ever heard about horses and donkeys not to be mixed because of parasites could you elaborate please .. ours are mixed all the time and never have a problem .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Apparently they shouldn't be seperated if in pairs as they form bonds with other animals. Saw this myself last year and had a lucky escape. A relation asked me to keep an eye on place while he was in hospital. Horse donkey and a dozen cattle. Donkey has since passed on but was nearly 40 yrs. Dont believe it but anyway. One day no sign of donkey with horse in field. His legs were giving trouble. Went to see if he was in the shed. When i went to the door the donkey was stretched flat out. Went to sit him up as i thought the worst. Next thing i know horse came flying in the door. She turned on me and reared up on her hind legs. Needless to say i made for the door. Any time i came between horse and donkey in field the horse would come running. Knew donkey was vulnerable. They'd been together for nearly 20 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mercury80

I would be very worried about the donkey if it took all the parasites, is there a way to prevent red water and say dose the donkey to prevent parasites harming the donkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I would be very worried about the donkey if it took all the parasites, is there a way to prevent red water and say dose the donkey to prevent parasites harming the donkey
    Yes regular dosing the same as you would with horses etc, not that hard really.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

All sheep here and got a couple of donkies to help with mixed grazing. Seems to help reduce to worm burden in lambs and donkies are easily kept over the winter. Bit of hay and shelter and they are grand. Wouldnt be without now.

Do need moving before i go working the dog tho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Odelay

Ard_MC wrote: »
    All sheep here and got a couple of donkies to help with mixed grazing. Seems to help reduce to worm burden in lambs and donkies are easily kept over the winter. Bit of hay and shelter and they are grand. Wouldnt be without now.

Do need moving before i go working the dog tho!!

Why do you need to move them before working the dog?

Odelay wrote: »
    Why do you need to move them before working the dog?

When i send the dog for the sheep, the donkies decide its fun to chase the dog!!

Probably a good thing as keeps the sheep safe from other dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Odelay

Ard_MC wrote: »
    When i send the dog for the sheep, the donkies decide its fun to chase the dog!!

Probably a good thing as keeps the sheep safe from other dogs.

I was assuming the dogs chased the donkeys! Do you think the donkeys are protective of them?
    Also, are the donkeys feet hard to manage?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Got 2 donkey and 2 Shetlands on the place in North Mayo. Hardy but hoof care is important, especcially on soft ground. Donkeys are orginally desert/steppe species so cold/heat/snow doesn't really bother them, but some sort of a simple shelter from extended wet spells is important as their coats aren't as water-proof as other types of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

It's nice to hear that some of ye with sheep have a use for the donkeys. I like them, but have a mare that absolutely hates the sight. When I used to ride around the roads I knew where every donkey was. She would try and attack them across the gate/fence, teeth bared etc. Was a nuisance. She must have had a bad experience with one when young.

Odelay wrote: »
    I was assuming the dogs chased the donkeys! Do you think the donkeys are protective of them?
    Also, are the donkeys feet hard to manage?

I get a lad in twice a year to trim the feet. Its only 20 quid each time. But is important to keep right.

Not sure if they are protective or just like chasing dog's...either way it works!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Does anyone know if grants can be drawn with just an equine number like basic farm payment
    Das or its new name glas etc.
    Or do you have to have a herd or flock number

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

djmc wrote: »
    Does anyone know if grants can be drawn with just an equine number like basic farm payment
    Das or its new name glas etc.
    Or do you have to have a herd or flock number

I think they can be, in my GLAS conversations locally I talked to a man who I think only has ponies. In my innocence I asked had he a herd number and got cut down to size :o

Check it out, but I don't think he has any other type of animal only the ponies.

Advertisement