Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

'New' bike suggestions; 3k to spend

• 01-05-2015 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

After a year away from the bike, and the half-decent weather starting to roll in, I'm itching to get back on two wheels. My last bike was a K4 SV650 which I really enjoyed and managed to do a bit of touring on.

I'm primarily looking for something for weekend spins, possibly some lite touring, and that's not going to be hugely expensive/difficult to insure. I'm look to spend in the region of €2.5-3k (max). My current shortlist looks like this...

Suzuki SV 650
    Kawasaki ER-6
    Kawasaki Z 750
    Honda Hornet 600

I also like the Honda VFR 800 vtec but am not sure if I could pick up a decent one within budget. I was considering the Yamaha FZ6 but don't really like the styling. Any and all other suggestions are most welcome :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

dceire wrote: »
    After a year away from the bike, and the half-decent weather starting to roll in, I'm itching to get back on two wheels. My last bike was a K4 SV650 which I really enjoyed and managed to do a bit of touring on.

I'm primarily looking for something for weekend spins, possibly some lite touring, and that's not going to be hugely expensive/difficult to insure. I'm look to spend in the region of €2.5-3k (max). My current shortlist looks like this...

Suzuki SV 650
    Kawasaki ER-6
    Kawasaki Z 750
    Honda Hornet 600

I also like the Honda VFR 800 vtec but am not sure if I could pick up a decent one within budget. I was considering the Yamaha FZ6 but don't really like the styling. Any and all other suggestions are most welcome :D

You should be able to pick up a 2002/2004 VFR for that money. I've a 2006 one which I would sell for €4k, but the bike is faultless. Great commuter/ tourer and I've never been left behind by the super sports bikes eitherðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

ratracer wrote: »
    You should be able to pick up a 2002/2004 VFR for that money. I've a 2006 one which I would sell for €4k, but the bike is faultless. Great commuter/ tourer and I've never been left behind by the super sports bikes eitherðŸ˜႒

Yea, I've been having a look online for the last few weeks and have only seen 02-04 VFR's up for 3.5k upwards. That being said, there is one up now for €2.750 but it looks, from the pictures at least, that it's suffering a bit from rust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Bandit 1200 would be my 2cents.

Ticks all the boxes you have mentioned.

I might be biased ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I'd cross off the hornet 600 too, had one and it didn't handle too well, I think the front wheel was either too big or too small(can't remember which), and certainly not up for touring. On the plus side its a lovely looking machine!

Cheers, for the input. Again, I'm just not sold on the looks of the bandit; each to their own but it's just not my cup ;)

The Hornet was probably bottom of my list anyway, not sure if I'd get one; especially given your feedback on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I'm on a TDM 850 at the mo, its a bike I would consider a goer with the specs you posted. Its quite a tall bike, and you ride it in an upright position (which may not be your bag, but I find it less back breaking). Its a great all rounder, handles like a sports bike too!!

You'd get a minter for 3k

Yea, I've been having a look online for the last few weeks and have only seen 02-04 VFR's up for 3.5k upwards. That being said, there is one up now for €2.750 but it looks, from the pictures at least, that it's suffering a bit from rust.

You would get a bit of rust around the fork legs, so watch for worn/damaged fork seals. The down pipes are also very susceptible to rust, a lot of bikes would have them replaced by now, but be wary of it if you look at one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

ratracer wrote: »

Is 2006 the year they upgraded this bike ???? And do you know if its much of an improvement over the older model?

The VTEC model came out in 2002 I think. The 2006 model got ABS brakes. Issues with early models were a clunky operation of the VTEC system kicking in at 7000 revs. It was improved on later models and I've never had issue with mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I'd cross off the hornet 600 too, had one and it didn't handle too well, I think the front wheel was either too big or too small(can't remember which), and certainly not up for touring. On the plus side its a lovely looking machine!

The front wheel is 16 inch but only on 98-99 models. From 00 they have a 17 inch front so feel normal. the 16inch front wheel is still the same size as a 17 due to the tire being higher profile (130/70/16), same setup as a 98 blade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

What weather forecast are you looking at?:pac:

But from what you've listed there you say you've had an SV before and enjoyed it so why not go for same again? 'cept in the 1000cc trim this time.:cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you had a SV650 before I would go for a Hornet.

What weather forecast are you looking at?:pac:

But from what you've listed there you say you've had an SV before and enjoyed it so why not go for same again? 'cept in the 1000cc trim this time.:cool:

I would consider the SV 1000 , the twin exhausts look sweet too, but a friend of mine, who's a bike mechanic, said that they're not as smooth as the 650.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would consider the SV 1000 , the twin exhausts look sweet too, but a friend of mine, who's a bike mechanic, said that they're not as smooth as the 650.
    650 is a lot more modern than the 1000, which is a detuned TL1000 lump.

Advertisement