Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Converting iTunes to Windows/DOS format?

• 01-05-2015 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

I have a music player that will allow me to play my iTunes music via a USB connection (memory stick) but it will only play songs in Windows/DOS format.

How do I convert the songs to Windows/DOS?

I'm Windows 8

Thanks.

D.

Ps. Is MP3 different to Windows/DOS?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Dinarius wrote: »
    I have a music player that will allow me to play my iTunes music via a USB connection (memory stick) but it will only play songs in Windows/DOS format.

I'm Windows 8

Thanks.

D.

I think that it just means the USB stick has to be Windows format. Open Disk Utility and format it as NTFS and you should be grand.

The file formats are completely independent of Windows or OSX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dinarius wrote: »

I'm Windows 8

Thanks.

D.

I think you are mixing up your terminology.

The Windows/DOS thing is most likely what Zcott mentions - the filesystem on the USB drive needs to be in Windows format (i.e. formatted on a Windows machine, such as you have, Windows 8). Once the USB drive is formatted, you can then copy your music onto it.

The song format however, is probably irrelevant. There is a Windows Audio File format (ending in .wav), but I would highly doubt you need all your music in that format.

MP3 is a song format, these songs are stored on the USB drive. Usually, your filenames will end in .mp3. So yes, it is totally different in every way to Windows/DOS format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the replies.

In the end, only FAT32 worked, not FAT, nor NTFS.

D.

Advertisement