Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ignition sparker

Options
  • 01-05-2015 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

How does this work? (push button manual type)

Mine deosn't on my cooker and I don't know how to fix it

Comments

It may need a 12V or might be manual. Might even be 240VAC if it's a domestic cooker.
    Any photos?

You can send me a PM with the photo or photo link and I'll post because you haven't enough posts to upload photos yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

How does this work? (push button manual type)

Mine deosn't on my cooker and I don't know how to fix it

I installed a Smev oven and the 12v igniter didn't work,discovered it is polarity dependant. Switching around the wires fixed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

it's manual, sorry, i thought I said that.

you press the button and it sparks, same as my fridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Electrodes can get shorted out by carbon .. bits of burn food etc. Check and clean if necessary. Also if gap is too large the spark cant jump so check the gap.

• Advertisement

there is no spark.....would it have electrodes as it is manual? I assumed it was some sort of flint spark like a fag lighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

It has electrodes the spark has to come from somewhere lighters usually have a spring for electrode. In manual the voltage it generated by piezoelectric generator like a gag lighter. Actually that's another thing to be aware of the faster you depress a piezo the higher the voltage.

would it be the case that the sparker lights a pilot light and the oven and rings ignite from that? There's no spark at the ring that I can see, but maybe i'm looking in the wrong place?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

I have a smev hob, the igniter wasn't working, found a replacement on the net but would only supply to Italy!!! otherwise it was Dick Turpin Ltd in UK and would cost about £50. Got an Italian friend to order it for me, he got it posted to his home address and then to here and onward to me, TOTAL €25, I fitted it and hey presto, it didn't work!!!! I had inadvertently fitted the old one. Put new one in and now perfect.

sounds dear, think I'll continue with the box of matches...

• Advertisement

Make sure it's isolated from the cooker it may be sparking in the wrong place. Also check the wiring is intact. It's usually dirt though.

I don't even know where it's located.....behind the front panel somwhere I guess

You did say it was manual most of them are push button types. The truly manual ones are mechanical, there's other kinds that are electric with a manual switch. The manual, manual ones are clunkin' things.

yes it's a manual manual clunking type...the one in the video is a electric one.

I'd be surprised if all four pales plus the oven were blocked

Put up a pic of the push button, if its a 12v it will look something like this,
    smev button.jpg,

yes it's a manual manual clunking type...the one in the video is a electric one.

I'd be surprised if all four plates plus the oven were blocked

digger58 wrote: »
    Put up a pic of the push button, if its a 12v it will look like this,
    smev button.jpg

it's s not a 12v one....great big plunger button.....can't put a pic up, van in bodyshop

If its a piezoelectric, it may look something like this one,

that's more like it. So tell me would it spark all the plates at once or would it only spark the one that the gas is turned on for (and presumably the button depressed)

• Advertisement

If you can get at it, there should be a wire coming off it to the gas burners, see if it is sparking on any of them, test it by holding wire near to earth point on body of push button, it should spark across the gap. It should spark to all burners at once.

I just posted the video so you could identify the electrodes. The ceramic usually gives them away.
    Check the continuity between the electrode and cooker top metal with a DMM. There has to be an air gap for it to arc. I believe it should spark all the electrodes at the same time.

I found a piezo on ebay so if that's what it is, a replcement will be cheap. I don't think any of the plates is sparking, so i.m thinking the sparker needs replacing. Will check when I get the van back. Thanks for help so far all

If you can find an old "superser" gas heater they have them, I have one from an old heater for lighting my gas torch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

This is what you need!!

i have similar, they came in a box of 72 of them with a Swan on the box..... :-)

Advertisement