Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching devices every 7-8 months to early?

Options
  • 01-05-2015 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a perfect working phone and no issues whatsoever but I just noticed I already have it for 7 months since the release which is for my almost EOL

There isn't anything on the market (yet) that I'm interested at, the only device I'm interested at is a rumored device and it will be released 'somewhere' this year (around November) which makes my phone more than a year old!

Do you think switching high-end phones earlier than 12 months or maybe even 8 is too early or just right on time?

I buy my phones unlocked so i'm not stuck to any contract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Asmooh wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a perfect working phone and no issues whatsoever but I just noticed I already have it for 7 months since the release which is for my almost EOL

There isn't anything on the market (yet) that I'm interested at, the only device I'm interested at is a rumored device and it will be released 'somewhere' this year (around November) which makes my phone more than a year old!

Do you think switching high-end phones earlier than 12 months or maybe even 8 is too early or just right on time?

I buy my phones unlocked so i'm not stuck to any contract.

Personally I couldn't afford to switch my phone every few months. I used to before there was smartphones. The prices were cheaper then. I think the mobile market has slowed down recently with improvements and generally I wouldn't change for about 2 years.

But if you want to change your phone you should certainly do so. After all if that's what makes you happy that's what makes you happy. What phone are you thinking about getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

But if you want to change your phone you should certainly do so. After all if that's what makes you happy that's what makes you happy. What phone are you thinking about getting?

I'm thinking about the rumoured blackberry slider

10985381_984740428202989_7381774783971046049_n.jpg?oh=1d8b98b6a7593cfa8e259a93115ef231&oe=559861DE&__gda__=1440225108_8d20e605a8dcec6128a3d51b9fe5d460

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I switch between 16-24 months, and I'd be a heavy user.

Realistically my GS3 thats sitting in my drawer as a backup phone is still totally usable (NB: when the samsung bloat is removed), only downside for it is no 4G and a weaker camera. And that just turned 3yo. There really isnt the need to super aggressively upgrade anymore.

Best I can suggest is buy with an 18mo lifespan in mind, and then any extra time you get before an updgrade is a nice bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

ED E wrote: »
    I switch between 16-24 months, and I'd be a heavy user.

Realistically my GS3 thats sitting in my drawer as a backup phone is still totally usable (NB: when the samsung bloat is removed), only downside for it is no 4G and a weaker camera. And that just turned 3yo. There really isnt the need to super aggressively upgrade anymore.

Best I can suggest is buy with an 18mo lifespan in mind, and then any extra time you get before an updgrade is a nice bonus.

I can understand, but most of the time after few months I feel like buying something else unless there isn't something else or its not worth the upgrade.

Example my Z10 i got in 2013, but the Z30 wasn't worth the upgrade so I wait till the Passport I have now.
    I love my phone, but since the slider will be released Q4 I really want this.
    And next year if there is something that going to be released I want I will feel the same.

Advertisement