Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD or nVidia -whick works better for linux

Options
  • 01-05-2015 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Thinking of adding a basic video card to my system (currently Im just using onboard graphics) Not after anything too fancy as Im not really into gaming but would like to occasionally dabble with a spot of video editing.

As my system is dual boot (Win 7/Ubuntu) I want something that will work ok with Linux. Ive heard that some GPU vendors don't fully support drivers for Linux :confused:

At the moment Ive my eye on on either MSI GeForce GT730 (nVidia) Asus R7 240 (AMD) or Radeon R7 250 1GB boost.

Will any of the above prove unsuitable for my needs ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Nvidia, ati / AMD drivers still suck on linux

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Nvidia is the better option ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

nVidia have better Windows drivers in the first place so it stands to reason their Linux ones will be better too. I could have it completely wrong either though. Probably nVidia though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭I swindled the NSA

Nvidia is the better option ;)

Can you elaborate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SimonFM

AMD is generally more in favour of being open source, and should have good drivers.
    But Nvidia might be a better choice, depends on what card you get really.

• Advertisement

Can you elaborate ?

The Nvidia drivers seem to be updated more often than AMD, and are (based on forum reading) much less problematic in use.
    Also Nvidia have held support for more older cards than Ati/AMD in their recent driver releases.

From an overall perspective Nvidia would be my recommendation.
    Others will have their own views of course. ;)

Also I have had very good results from Intel in recent times.

... I do not game but have used video apps quite a bit in the past.

The Nvidia drivers seem to be updated more often than AMD, and are (based on forum reading) much less problematic in use.
    Also Nvidia have held support for more older cards than Ati/AMD in their recent driver releases.

From an overall perspective Nvidia would be my recommendation.
    Others will have their own views of course. ;)

Also I have had very good results from Intel in recent times.

... I do not game but have used video apps quite a bit in the past.

Intel=/=nVidia :confused:

I think googling how a certain card runs on your distro is the best idea OP, obviously its much more diverse than x86 or x64 Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Well torvalds gave nvidia the finger if I'm not mistaken, take that for what you will..

ED E wrote: »
    Well torvalds gave nvidia the finger if I'm not mistaken, take that for what you will..

He did indeed ...... and things have improved greatly since ..... :D

nVidia have better Windows drivers in the first place so it stands to reason their Linux ones will be better too.

It does :confused:

• Advertisement

It does :confused:

Well it does to me? If you've better windows drivers no reason why you'd have inferior Linux ones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Well it does to me? If you've better windows drivers no reason why you'd have inferior Linux ones

That doesnt make a lot of sense to me. What if they're super interested in developing their Windows drivers and couldnt give a rats ass about their Linux development (as was the case with Nvidia until Torvalds slated them in the media)?

I've an ATI card in my laptop and play a few games on Linux and have no complaints at all. Not got any experience with Nvidia Linux drivers so cant really give any feedback on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

My own experiences are that nVidia are better, had terrible problems with ATI before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

My experience over the last 15 years of using Linux has been the exact opposite.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    That doesnt make a lot of sense to me. What if they're super interested in developing their Windows drivers and couldnt give a rats ass about their Linux development (as was the case with Nvidia until Torvalds slated them in the media)?

I've an ATI card in my laptop and play a few games on Linux and have no complaints at all. Not got any experience with Nvidia Linux drivers so cant really give any feedback on them.

I'm only talking out my ass on what may work, I haven't a bulls notion on who gives a **** about Linux drivers, it just stood to me that if they've better windows they may be investing more time into making their Linux ones better too?

Just speculation, as I've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

nvidia i say may be better, i did have problems with amd , but pushed through them to be able to play games
    May be worth looking at some of the graphics card that comes with the steam boxs and they will make sure to have the best linux support

I'm just gonna bow out of this one as I'm obviously getting this arsebackwards :o Apologies for misinformation op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'm only talking out my ass on what may work, I haven't a bulls notion on who gives a **** about Linux drivers, it just stood to me that if they've better windows they may be investing more time into making their Linux ones better too?

Just speculation, as I've said.

If there are Linux drivers then they are usually open source. Someone can go and take the open source, Linux compatible drivers and either make Open Source, windows compatible drivers or make closed-source windows compatible drivers.

If there are Windows drivers to begin with, they are most likely distributed only as a binary, with no source code. If you want anything other than basic functionality, you have to reverse engineer the windows compatible binary to create Linux compatible drivers which is a long, and arduous process.

syklops wrote: »
    If there are Linux drivers then they are usually open source. Someone can go and take the open source, Linux compatible drivers and either make Open Source, windows compatible drivers or make closed-source windows compatible drivers.

If there are Windows drivers to begin with, they are most likely distributed only as a binary, with no source code. If you want anything other than basic functionality, you have to reverse engineer the windows compatible binary to create Linux compatible drivers which is a long, and arduous process.

The main graphics card manufacturers produce proprietary Linux drivers for their products as they do for Windows.

Those are the drivers that most users employ and not the open source drivers.

Came across this today on a Linux forum
    An Intel from 2011 (sandybridge) built in graphics on an I5, decimates an AMD R290 in steam on Linux. It's totally the other way round on a win box, AMD have some serious Linux Driver issues.

• Advertisement

Ok so Im thinking NVidia GT 730

Now Ive just discovered there is a 2GB version and a 4GB version. At first glance the 4GB version looks like the better option but a closer look at the specs shows that the memory clock speed on the 4GB version is only 1000MHz (as opposed to 1600MHz on the 2GB version)

Is the 4GB still the better option (despite the higher price) or does the lower memory clock speed count for much ?

Or will either offer a significant improvement over my current onboard (Intel HD4600/Asus Z97-E) graphics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Ok so Im thinking NVidia GT 730

Now Ive just discovered there is a 2GB version and a 4GB version. At first glance the 4GB version looks like the better option but a closer look at the specs shows that the memory clock speed on the 4GB version is only 1000MHz (as opposed to 1600MHz on the 2GB version)

Is the 4GB still the better option (despite the higher price) or does the lower memory clock speed count for much ?

Or will either offer a significant improvement over my current onboard (Intel HD4600/Asus Z97-E) graphics ?

Linux aside, the amount of VRAM usage will depend on the proposed screen resolution you are planning to use and if you will be doing alot of 3D work or gaming in which case IMO I'd be leaning towards the higher VRAM otherwise a 2GB card will suffice. Why not see how you get on with current onboard Intel prior to parting with your hard earned cash?

Advertisement