Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way for a large breed dog to travel in a car?

• 01-05-2015 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

What's the best/safest way for a large breed like a German Shepherd to travel safely in a car, for example an average hatchback, in your opinion?

What would be my options? What is your preferred method of travel for a large dog?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

My shep travels in the boot on my hatchback, usually with a wire-mesh guard screen that clips to the back headrests.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

My large old english mix is harnessed and clipped into a seat belt catch on the back seat, as is my border collie. Both settle well and I've never had an issue in the 4 and a half years they've been in my life.

Some people I know crate their dogs when travelling. They believe the dog feels more secure that way, and I suppose there is less danger of them being flung all over the place in the event of an accident.

It'll boil down to whatever suits you, and your dog, best. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I don't have a large breed, but my two also travel in the boot of my hatchback, it's lined with vetbed, and I have a dog guard that clips onto the rear headrest. (This guard allowed more space than the ones with legs)
    There is a thing on the back of the seats in my car that I have clipped a harness to in the past for extra safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ra0044

Ours travels in the boot of my estate with a mesh guard up to stop him flying in to the car in an accident.

If we are going any distance we put his bed in with him and he settles in and sleeps.

We have a harness that the seat belt goes through and then clips on that we use if in another car. Both ways seem to work well but he is really a great traveller. I would imagine a nervous dog would be a bit of a handful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Hatchback boot with a mesh guard for our lad. I have a padded boot liner that I can take out if I need to use the boot for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Thanks, guys!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement