Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey water level - Newbridge.

Options
  • 01-05-2015 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Anyone notice that the level of the water in the liffey at Newbridge has dropped over the last Month or so. First noticed it when an island started to form at the bridge. It's due to the weir at the college being broken. Eventually the whole weir will break away unless the break is repaired and will cause the water levels to drop even further. I was wondering who is responsible for repairing it. The college, inland waterways the bord of works ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

The flow of the Liffey is controlled, nothing got to do with a broken weir

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Does the weir look much different from this older photo?
    Where is the damage?

347265.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

The damage is on the college side, about fifteen feet gone. While the flow of water in the liffey is controlled from the dam in Ballymore the drop in the water level has nothing to do with generating electricity , from the weir back upriver the water levels have never been as low. There is now no water flowing over the weir it's all going through the broken part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

lanomist wrote: »
    The damage is on the college side, about fifteen feet gone. While the flow of water in the liffey is controlled from the dam in Ballymore the drop in the water level has nothing to do with generating electricity , from the weir back upriver the water levels have never been as low. There is now no water flowing over the weir it's all going through the broken part.

Sounds like it's the cause ok. Waterways Ireland seem to be more into maintenance of waters for recreational navigation so don't think this stretch would fall into this category. It might take some political influence and will of the people to get the funding necessary for repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Make.Modern(15 feet) = 5 metres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Make.Modern(15 feet) = 5 metres

If you're going to do that at least get it right. 15 feet is a little under 4.6 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I'm not familiar with the weir in Newbridge but isn't the level of the Liffey in Newbridge controlled by the dam in Leixlip?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Diego messi

The Broken part of the weir is like that for as long as I can remember. So I'm not sure if it's a contributing factor to the low water level now! I have noticed a small weir up stream opposite the entrance to the Grange estate, on closer inspection there seems to have been some type of barrier installed to form a weir. I'm guessing that this may have some factor in what ever is at play at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

The Broken part of the weir is like that for as long as I can remember. So I'm not sure if it's a contributing factor to the low water level now! I have noticed a small weir up stream opposite the entrance to the Grange estate, on closer inspection there seems to have been some type of barrier installed to form a weir. I'm guessing that this may have some factor in what ever is at play at the moment.

That small weir is actually a pipe that was laid a couple of years ago, it wasn't noticeable until the water level dropped due to the broken weir at the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Here's a few pic of the weir at the college today.
    The water level is down about 18 inches because of it.

• Advertisement

Here's a couple of more pics from the other side of the river.
    It's mad how much water the weir was holding back. I'd say you can cross the river at any point and it wouldn't be up to your knees. I suppose like anything a weir has a life time too and the river is going back into its natural state

Thankfully all is fixed up at the college and the water level has returned

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Diego messi

Noticed the repair and the water level returning. Thanks to those who repaired the weir. Interesting thread and photos on here thanks to the persons who posted the photos

Advertisement