Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rare Is Back!! Yooka-Laylee!!!

Options
  • 01-05-2015 9:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭

You might remember RareWare from the days of Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo-Kazooie....

They pumped out great game after great game.....and then when Microsoft took them over it all went to shiit. The company now is in a shambles but the guys that made that company what it was back in the day left and formed Playtonic Games.

Today they announced Yooka-Laylee! From the sound designers to the artists and coders this is Rare through and through...

The Kickstarter has only been up a few hours and already they've surpassed their goal. :D

www . kickstarter . com / projects / playtonic / yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Put a few Bob in shortly after it started.
    Hoping for a WiiU version myself, but it looks like, if the momentum keeps up, that it will reach the million mark within a couple of days.
    And nice that they acknowledge the stupid number of pickups in DK64, terrible bloody game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Well_H0ly_God

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hoping for a WiiU version myself, but it looks like, if the momentum keeps up, that it will reach the million mark within a couple of days.
    And nice that they acknowledge the stupid number of pickups in DK64, terrible bloody game.

Nintendo should have brought these guys on board...

Who better to put out a 3D Donkey Kong Country? Don't get me wrong, I think Retro Studios have done a magnificent job with DK over the years but Rare have experience with the franchise and will have learned from past mistakes.

Rare making DKC3D - not that would be something to look forward to...

Nintendo should have brought these guys on board...

Who better to put out a 3D Donkey Kong Country? Don't get me wrong, I think Retro Studios have done a magnificent job with DK over the years but Rare have experience with the franchise and will have learned from past mistakes.

Rare making DKC3D - now that would be something to look forward to...

They just passed 1 million dollars!

.....in 6 hours......insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

It brings back such good memories of Banjo Kazooie, I loved that game. I hope Yooka-Laylee does well, the video look very promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I'm kind of tempted to back it myself. Never backed anything on Kickstarter before.

Now....PC or console (PS4)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see the campaign cancelled and the project bought up by Sony, Nintendo or MS, maybe even converted into a proper Banjo game

I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see the campaign cancelled and the project bought up by Sony, Nintendo or MS, maybe even converted into a proper Banjo game

Nobody wants Microsoft anywhere near this....look what they did to RareWare....

Besides, didn't Don Mattrick let Chris Sutherland, Gavin Price, Steve Mayles, Steven Hurst, Grant Kirkhope, David Wise and the rest of the Rare guys go because they "didn't know what to do with them"?

Microsoft must be gutted at this moment. I can't see those old Rare guys having anything to do with Microsoft at this point. I'd love Nintendo to tie them down to a contract for a 3D DKC tho!

I just backed this now.

Nine people at work also backed it.

I'd love Nintendo to tie them down to a contract for a 3D DKC tho!

Gods no, I'd love if it became a new Nintendo IP, perhaps if they went mad and became 2nd party devs for them again, like in the classic Rare days.
    I'd say the idea of a quality game for that kind of small money would be music to Ninty's ears.

• Advertisement

Gods no, I'd love if it became a new Nintendo IP, perhaps if they went mad and became 2nd party devs for them again, like in the classic Rare days.
    I'd say the idea of a quality game for that kind of small money would be music to Ninty's ears.

I'd expect nothing less than to see Yooka-Laylee in Smash Bros U and MK8 if this is the case....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They're up to £1,115,000 now and they've added more stretch goals.

2D platformers have come back in a big way recently but quality 3D platformers are fairly scarce these days so I can't wait for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wouldnt exactly blame Msft for what happened Rare, I would blame the Stamper brothers for selling the company and walking away.

1st competition I ever won was on their website a signed Jet Force Gemini print :)

Mr Pants :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Wouldnt exactly blame Msft for what happened Rare, I would blame the Stamper brothers for selling the company and walking away.

1st competition I ever won was on their website a signed Jet Force Gemini print :)

Mr Pants :D

Microsoft weren't to blame for the actual Rare saga, but they were criminal in their misuse of the talent they bought. One of the ex Rare designers, in a video Playtonic put up online, said his last job at Microsoft was to design the shirts on a crap Kinect sports game. Unbelievable waste.

Once the team were bought by MS they could do with them what they wanted.
    And what they wanted by the time of the 360 was a team to head up Kinect software.
    Bugger....
    The Kinect wasn't the wonder it was supposed to be, it ended up the unpopular tripe it is, on console at least.
    And the software they made was polished and playable but just toys at the end of the day, as shallow as the contents of the WiiPlay title, each and every one.
    And that's what Rare has been wasted on for the last near decade.
    Viva Pinata and it's sequel were the last time Rare got creative.
    And, not to throw water on the kick starter flames and also bear in mind I have backed it as well, this Yooka Laylee game is basically a reheat of an old game, with precious little innovation and, basically, the same game as we played on the old N64.
    A placeholder of sorts for Banjo Kazooie HD
    Nothing wrong with that per se, but wouldn't it have been so much better to have seen something new and innovative from them instead of this.
    But, I'll celebrate this new game, given how much fun it really is going to be, but a part if me will wish there was something newer.

#notatroll

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm going to play devils advocate any say that Rare were no strangers to reheating genres.
    Killer Instinct for example and Diddy Kong Racing.

That said I love Rare and their work. So many classic SNES and N64 games; DKC games, Blast Corps, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini. They probably single handily kept the N64 afloat.

5uspect wrote: »
    I'm going to play devils advocate any say that Rare were no strangers to reheating genres.
    Killer Instinct for example and Diddy Kong Racing.

That said I love Rare and their work. So many classic SNES and N64 games; DKC games, Blast Corps, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini. They probably single handily kept the N64 afloat.

Diddy Kong Racing is one of my favourite games of theirs, with the karting, hovercrafting and flying, it was a far better game for me, in single player, than MK64 ever was.
    Jet Force was the business, and I've owned their whole N64 output and most of their SNES stuff too, and they produced good stuff, but the stuff on the Xbox and particularly the stuff on the 360 was just tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Diddy Kong Racing kicked 7 shades of sh!t out of MK64 no matter how you spin it.
    The way they handled item pickups and how each course could be played in so many ways was great
    Also didn't the fragments of what was left of the Rare team go on to work on series like Timeplitters and such which all great too.

They fixed the game play problems with Mario Kart and released it as Mickeys Speedway, also on the N64 and also by Rare.
    Beetle Adventure Racing is another racing game on the N64 and a better choice than MK64, at least in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

On the topic of music...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Trying to decide between Wii U and PC versions.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Trying to decide between Wii U and PC versions.

Can't you only get the PC version for 10 quid?

Not sure, haven't looked at the milestones since....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, PC for £10 and console for £15

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Bumping this. It's on its final day (ending 10 hours from this post), so if you want to back it, should do it soon. They made it to their last stretch goal of £2million; free DLC to all backers. Maybe some other kickstarter made people forget about this game!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival/

Advertisement