Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can they ask to pay more for bills?

Options
  • 01-05-2015 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

When I moved here it was a fixed price for bills, now it seems every month something extra comes on the bills, trash bin 25 euro a month, I don't know if that's total or each person, water but we already pay for water every month.

Last time the guy said we used for 300 euro gas in one month which I don't even believe!

Anyway is it normal? Of can I use it to get rid of the contract? Because I hate living shared anyway

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Asmooh wrote: »
    When I moved here it was a fixed price for bills, now it seems every month something extra comes on the bills, trash bin 25 euro a month, I don't know if that's total or each person, water but we already pay for water every month.

Last time the guy said we used for 300 euro gas in one month which I don't even believe!

Anyway is it normal? Of can I use it to get rid of the contract? Because I hate living shared anyway

Ask to see the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

kceire wrote: »
    Ask to see the bills.

Yes you need to see the bills. For all you know the guy is making profit from the fixed price on bills. Of course it could be completely legit but you won't know until you see the bills. Ask to see all the bills and sit down together so you can understand how they're working out. If they make a big deal about showing you the bills, that would be a major red flag and I'd refuse to pay above the agreed amount

On the second point about hating living in shared accommodation. Do you live with the landlord and have you signed a contract? If you do live with the landlord and you haven't signed a contract, then you're a licensee which means you can leave whenever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Tho are "they"? Who is the "guy"? Can you be more clear in your post please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Yes you need to see the bills. For all you know the guy is making profit from the fixed price on bills. Of course it could be completely legit but you won't know until you see the bills. Ask to see all the bills and sit down together so you can understand how they're working out. If they make a big deal about showing you the bills, that would be a major red flag and I'd refuse to pay above the agreed amount

On the second point about hating living in shared accommodation. Do you live with the landlord and have you signed a contract? If you do live with the landlord and you haven't signed a contract, then you're a licensee which means you can leave whenever you want.

I did sign it, he also

I did sign it, he also

Fair enough. Its in the contract then. If you want to get out of the contract you could refuse to pay above the agreed amount. If they make a fuss you could propose ending the contract by mutual agreement.

You still need to see the bills. I wouldn't pay a cent until I know exactly what I'm paying for. That's not beign a d1ck, it's just making sure you're not being taken for a mug.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Its in the contract then. If you want to get out of the contract you could refuse to pay above the agreed amount. If they make a fuss you could propose ending the contract by mutual agreement.

You still need to see the bills. I wouldn't pay a cent until I know exactly what I'm paying for. That's not beign a d1ck, it's just making sure you're not being taken for a mug.

Yea I will talk with the other people in the house that we want to see the bills, we only pay every 3 months but I don't like when It starts with some amount and then it gets more expensive the longer I'm living here?

Yea I will talk with the other people in the house that we want to see the bills, we only pay every 3 months but I don't like when It starts with some amount and then it gets more expensive the longer I'm living here?

Fair play, be sure of yourself when asking them to go through the bills with you and let us know how you get on.

Hi,

I just got the bills and I calculated the following, we are 3 guys and all 3 working on normal days so nothing is being used.

Electricity: 285
    Gas: 180
    Broadband: 135
    TV: 45
    Water: 45

This is every month, but we don't even have the fastest internet connection and when I check UPC it's only 85 euros (or 90 including phones) a month for the fastest but we pay 135? and how about TV ? here it says 160 a year, but we are paying 45 a month?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hi,

I just got the bills and I calculated the following, we are 3 guys and all 3 working on normal days so nothing is being used.

This is every month, but we don't even have the fastest internet connection and when I check UPC it's only 85 euros (or 90 including phones) a month for the fastest but we pay 135? and how about TV ? here it says 160 a year, but we are paying 45 a month?

Ask to see the bills before you pay them?

Who is giving you the bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,595 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi,

Those bills are outlandish for one house per month for three people no matter what the contract. Are you sure those are the correct figures?

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Those bills are outlandish for one house per month for three people no matter what the contract. Are you sure those are the correct figures?

Yeah I can even post the original E-mail here, he says he is paying 145.86 a month for gas, every month. and 78.50 for internet and don't charge the TV license but where does the rest comes from? oh and he is angry at me that i question the bills

Adrien / Alexander / Raphael

Can someone can print this e-mail for Raphael as he has no e-mail address – Thank you. I got a chance to look through the bills today for this month, April 15’ and March 15’. As you are aware I like to do bills every 3months and hopefully this gives you plenty of notice on same and payment can be made within the next 3-4weeks.

This term we will pay for 3months as agreed and I would appreciate if you could pay them as mentioned above. The average of the electricity is still at €95 and the Gas has been reduced as per my e-mail below from Christmas time to €60 until June 15’.

- March 2015

- April 2015

- May 2015

The Bills were as follows –

March 2014 – Electricity €95
    Gas €60
    TV €30
    Broadband €45
    TV Licence €15
    Water €15

Tot. €86.67 each (Adrien, Alex & Raphael)

April 2015 – Electricity €95
    Gas €60
    TV €30
    Broadband €45
    TV Licence €15
    Water €15

May 2015 – Electricity €95
    Gas €60
    TV €30
    Broadband €45
    TV Licence €15
    Water €15

Taking the above figures into account - The total amount is due from each of you within the next 4 weeks (Adrien, Alex & Raphael is €260.01 each

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

kippy wrote: »

I'm confused on this too op said earlier they pay bills every three months

I'm also confused as to what tv is as op linked a comparison to the tv licence

Yeah I can even post the original E-mail here, he says he is paying 145.86 a month for gas, every month. and 78.50 for internet and don't charge the TV license but where does the rest comes from? oh and he is angry at me that i question the bills

We're those the bills and amounts you three renting originally signed up to pay?

Stheno wrote: »
    We're those the bills and amounts you three renting originally signed up to pay?

We never got anything else to signup for, only got renting contract and howmuch it is, bills wern't mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 18,595 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thats a bit more realistic. The figures are for three months although am still a bit confused as to why you would sign up to this method.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Wouldn't electric & gas bill be for 3 months?

Remember, the amounts I posted is howmuch we pay * 3 persons each = total a month.

This is the last E-mail i got

Alex

Readings from my account statement – you are incorrect as the total per month each is €86.67 (€2.90 per day) and as you can see I am not charging the full amount to my tenants in most situations and I do not charge anyone for bins or Local Property Taxes throughout the year either. As you can see from my own account readings and I do not like to be accused of misleading people – this is not the first time I have been questioned by you Alex!..

UPC – TV & Broadband / if there is a cheaper bundle let me know as in April I have been charged €101 from UPC for either exceeding the download limit or missing the direct debit payment too many times.
    · 05/01/2015
    · D/D UPC Communicat
    04/02/2015
    D/D UPC Communicat
    09/03/2015
    D/D UPC Communicat
    19/03/2015
    D/D UPC Communicat

19/03/2015
    D/D UPC Communicat

Bord Gais – Electricity & Gas as you can see I have been passing the saving on and I never charged for the additional gas usage in March when I went up to the house and discussed this with you all.
    02/03/2015
    D/D BORD GAIS EIRE

12/03/2015
    D/D BORD GAIS EIRE
    30/03/2015
    D/D BORD GAIS EIRE
    28/04/2015
    D/D BORD GAIS EIRE
    Water charges I can do nothing about because as a country they have only been introduced.

Remember, the amounts I posted is howmuch we pay * 3 persons each = total a month.

I think you mixed things up here
    you are being sent the total bill and its being divided by three so for may the total of 260 means you each pay 86 something

The broadband is billed at 45 Euro each month your tv package is 30, tv licence per month looks correct as does the monthly gas and electricity charges

Will you each pay the 86 Euro per month as 260 each once every three months?

Hmm maybe you are right...

• Advertisement

Each person is paying 86 euros a month for the bills shown, so for 3 people do it * 3

That looks fine to me I'm not sure what your issue is?

Personally I'd get the bills in your own names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Your landlord mentions missing the direct debt?

surely thats his responsibility if he's collecting the money in the "system"

bjork wrote: »
    Your landlord mentions missing the direct debt?

surely thats his responsibility if he's collecting the money in the "system"

Yes but he didn't include it in the bills it was the standard 75 Euro for tv and broadband they are getting a couple of Euro cheaper each month compared the the posted bill

I can see why the landlord would be getting pissed off if op managed to mess up his figures and questioned if they were being overcharged due to ops own mistake

Well, maybe I'll start paying rent + those 86,67 in advance so I don't have to pay every 3 months

Well, maybe I'll start paying rent + those 86,67 in advance so I don't have to pay every 3 months

No harm in asking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Yes but he didn't include it in the bills it was the standard 75 Euro for tv and broadband

Ah, ok

I agree with getting the bills in your own name. The landlord calling around to discuss how much extra gas you've used seems an odd set up, unless it's some type of student digs/

When you say he sent you the bills, do you mean that he sent you the actual bills as posted or emailed by the service provider or he told you the amounts by email? If he simply told you the amounts then it's no different than him saying you owe him money. You need to see the original bills before you hand over a cent.

Him getting annoyed by you asking for the bills is a major red flag in my view. He asked you to sign a contract and now he wants more money. He should be going out of his way to justify the increase.

If I had signed a contract and he offered to amend the contract by increasing the amount without providing any evidence that his costs had increased, then I'd simply decline and continue to honor the contract as agreed.

When you say he sent you the bills, do you mean that he sent you the actual bills as posted or emailed by the service provider or he told you the amounts by email? If he simply told you the amounts then it's no different than him saying you owe him money. You need to see the original bills before you hand over a cent.

Him getting annoyed by you asking for the bills is a major red flag in my view. He asked you to sign a contract and now he wants more money. He should be going out of his way to justify the increase.

If I had signed a contract and he offered to amend the contract by increasing the amount without providing any evidence that his costs had increased, then I'd simply decline and continue to honor the contract as agreed.

The landlord appears to be getting annoyed at being accused of overcharging

If you read the ops first few posts the figures for monthly bills are exaggerated compared to the reality posted later

The landlord appears to be getting annoyed at being accused of overcharging

If you read the ops first few posts the figures for monthly bills are exaggerated compared to the reality posted later

They signed a contract. LL now wants more money so it's up to him to justify the increase, not to get annoyed at being asked to justify the increase.

• Advertisement

They signed a contract. LL now wants more money so it's up to him to justify the increase, not to get annoyed at being asked to justify the increase.

But from what they posted that was just a lease regarding rent, and not specific amounts for bills at one point op claimed they were paying 135 per month for broadband whichb turned out to be 45

Advertisement