Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything we can do for injured stranger?

Options
  • 01-05-2015 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Myself, my boyfriend & our two friends saw a bouncer absolutely hop off a fella outside a well known pub in the city lastnight.
    They ended up calling an ambulance for him, he was beaten to a pulp, very drunk & bleeding badly but the police didnt seem to come with the ambulance. Four of us saw it and I'm still a bit shook from it and would like to know if he's okay or even help the guy if he needs witnesses etc.
    Is there anyway to go about finding him, even just to see of he's okay?
    My boyfriend says we should stay out of it & just not give our custom to that pub but I don't think that's enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Isolt wrote: »
    Myself, my boyfriend & our two friends saw a bouncer absolutely hop off a fella outside a well known pub in the city lastnight.
    They ended up calling an ambulance for him, he was beaten to a pulp, very drunk & bleeding badly but the police didnt seem to come with the ambulance. Four of us saw it and I'm still a bit shook from it and would like to know if he's okay or even help the guy if he needs witnesses etc.
    Is there anyway to go about finding him, even just to see of he's okay?
    My boyfriend says we should stay out of it & just not give our custom to that pub but I don't think that's enough.

Are you sure you saw the whole thing,

were you beside the fella all night just saying as you would want to know the whole story.

he could have attacked the bouncer or another person in the pub.

Could have been dealing drugs, threatened.

I would hazard a guess he was up to something as a bouncer wouldn't smash someone up for no reason.

To answer your question there is no way to find out who he was unless you report to the cops but they won't tell you.
    Honestly best stay clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

personally I would consider going to the guards..... you appear to have witnessed an assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Are you sure you saw the whole thing,

were you beside the fella all night just saying as you would want to know the whole story.

he could have attacked the bouncer or another person in the pub.

Could have been dealing drugs, threatened.

I would hazard a guess he was up to something as a bouncer wouldn't smash someone up for no reason.

To answer your question there is no way to find out who he was unless you report to the cops but they won't tell you.
    Honestly best stay clear.

When I was younger we frequented a large rural nightclub, the Oasis near Carrickmacross. Bouncers would routinely beat seven bells out of lads for near no reason.
    While I'd agree it's hard to know the whole story I wouldn't just say bouncers are ALL nice fellas and they don't get carte blanch to administer justice for crimes either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Isolt wrote: »
    I don't think that's enough.

You are right, your boyfriend is wrong. As the saying goes, the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good (wo)men to do nothing.

Ask to make a statement at your local cop shop. Don't let anyone talk you out of it by speculating that the guy 'was up to something' - whether he was the victim or the aggressor is for the guards and/or courts to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

You are right, your boyfriend is wrong. As the saying goes, the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good (wo)men to do nothing.

Ask to make a statement at your local cop shop. Don't let anyone talk you out of it by speculating that the guy 'was up to something' - whether he was the victim or the aggressor is for the guards and/or courts to decide.

Absolutely agree here, if he needed an ambulance then a line was crossed. Good bouncers know how to deal with aggressors without much hassle, if he was that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Definitely report it to the Guards. A person was assaulted seriously enough to require an ambulance. Do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Okay thanks guys, most of you pretty much backed up my own train of thought. No, i didn't see the whole thing obviously, just a young guy getting beaten badly by a doorman & an ambulance came within I'd say 2 mins of us arriving! There were a few bouncers present so he could have been easily restrained if needed, the guy was very drunk or maybe just disorientated by the head punches & did not have a weapon (visible) or anything so the force at which he was being bashed was really rather distressing.
    I'll call the guards & see what they see. The place was packed so they've probably already had some calls about it but I'll feel better knowing I've reported it at least.
    Maybe the guy is a dirtbag but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with big giant bouncers getting to dish out the punishment. The guy's head was bounced off of like!

I'll give th we guards a call anyway & then try forget about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

The guards could check out the cctv

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Jaysus you have more faith in bouncers than I have. I have seen numerous times bouncers pummelling people for no reason other than being a bit drunk (drink bought in their establishment:rolleyes:). I remember once seeing a poor guys head being used to open a fire exit as they threw him out of a nightclub for the henious crime of falling asleep.

OP, goto the Guards and make a statement. You could also make a complaint to the owner of the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Nearly happened to me years ago when I fell asleep in a nightclub and was pummelled awake and told to go home using words rhyming with truck and duck.......

A colleague of mine ended up in hospital another night from the attentions of the same owner/bouncer.

The taxmen finally got him and closed him down. We were all delighted at that outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

a bouncer wouldn't smash someone up for no reason.
    lol, nice name/post combo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I woke up face down in a street in the pissing rain in Galway a few years back after being battered senseless by a couple of bouncers - giving them cheek at the door whilst drunk was the crime. It's not at all a nice thing to happen to anyone, so if you could help that guy by telling the Gardai what you witnessed, then it may go some way towards dealing with what he's going through right now and for some time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Write down everything that you remember. Now.

Type it up. Take it to the Garda.

_Brian wrote: »
    When I was younger we frequented a large rural nightclub, the Oasis near Carrickmacross.

Drove past it last week. Looked all boarded up and empty. Times change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Drove past it last week. Looked all boarded up and empty. Times change.

Customers don't like being assaulted shocker.

Hope something comes of this, OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

_Brian wrote: »
    When I was younger we frequented a large rural nightclub, the Oasis near Carrickmacross. Bouncers would routinely beat seven bells out of lads for near no reason.
    While I'd agree it's hard to know the whole story I wouldn't just say bouncers are ALL nice fellas and they don't get carte blanch to administer justice for crimes either.

Why nobody came back and shot them? It would be nice. If you shot 1 or 2 then other bouncers in that nightclub would think twice. If you beat a man for no reason, just because you bigger and stronger then you should be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,481 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

S.R. wrote: »
    Why nobody came back and shot them? It would be nice. If you shot 1 or 2 then other bouncers in that nightclub would think twice. If you beat a man for no reason, just because you bigger and stronger then you should be punished.

you serious?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    you serious?

you serious asking you serious?

you serious asking you serious?

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I'm all for an eye for an eye - if a bouncer, or anyone, hit me for no reason I'd make a point to get them back. But one does not simply shoot a few bouncers to make an example.

• Advertisement

genericguy wrote: »
    But one does not simply shoot a few bouncers to make an example.

some very strange people round here!

I'm all for an eye for an eye - if a bouncer, or anyone, hit me for no reason I'd make a point to get them back. But one does not simply shoot a few bouncers to make an example.

Very good! Some prefer literally to swallow blood and post here.

Some prefer literally to swallow blood and post here.

wow. scary stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Road-house-poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We're discussing Irish pubs/clubs in 2015 - not Chicago speakeasies in the 1930's. What you're talking about would be better suited to the Creative Writing forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭CFlat

I was playing a gig a few years ago in The Kestrel in Walkinstown. We were finished up and packing the gear when bouncers had either refused entry or was kicking out a pissed fella in his 20s.

It appeared to me to be done without excessive force and as the drunk lad was crossing the road clearly upset with the bouncers, he shouted out, " I'm going to get a f**king gun and come back and kill ye".

Of course whether these are idle drunk threats is one thing but these beautiful people really exist.

Re OP. Yes, I would report what you saw to the Gardai. Whatever happened that night will come out in the wash anyway. As someone said, there were probably CCTV cams recording the whole event.

Patrick Swayze was a good man! RIP.

We're discussing Irish pubs/clubs in 2015 - not Chicago speakeasies in the 1930's. What you're talking about would be better suited to the Creative Writing forum. :)

Actually the example discussed, not the OP's one, was deep Monaghan in the 1980s, so perhaps it mightn't have required a huge amount of creativity...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

kzo46.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

A bouncer once grabbed me by the neck and shoved me back as I soberly walked by. Didn't even see him. Definite assault but this was The Oasis in 1991 so, you know.

Advertisement