Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ted Simon in Coventry this June.

• 02-05-2015 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

https://www.facebook.com/TheTedSimonFoundation/posts/833001390112368

The great man is giving a talk in Coventry this June and will have the Triumph Tiger 500 he used for his four year round the world journey on display.
    If you haven't heard of Ted Simon he is the original Round The World rider who made the journey in the early 1970s. His book Jupiter's Travels inspired McGregor and Boormann to do the Long Way Round in 2004.
    He's now in his eighties and living in the US so it's a rarity to get a chance to hear him speak live.
    So it's off on the boat to Pembroke with the Bike on the morning. Blast across to Coventry and find a pub for b&b. Few beers afterwards and a meander back to the boat the following day....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Thanks. I see that he's launching a new book. Maybe the presentation part will be brief - and not include travel tales and visuals.
    Even so, I'd like to see him. And entry to the museum is free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Thanks. I see that he's launching a new book. Maybe the presentation part will be brief - and not include travel tales and visuals.
    Even so, I'd like to see him. And entry to the museum is free!

I think you might be right. For me though, it would be a bit of a pilgrimage as I have been reading the Jupiter books since the early '80s when I was a teenager. I reckon I'll manage to do a bit of photobombing at some point during the proceedings. :D
    In fact I think I will make a three day trip of it altogether and do some camping in Snowdonia along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I suppose it would be cheeky to ask him to sign my copy of "Jupiter" unless I bought his new book.
    There's a Horizons Unlimited meeting in Enniskillen this summer. Maybe he'll make an appearance there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

So I biked it over to Coventry. Tented in Wales and got locked in to a pub the first night after a 5am start so I looked and felt my best the following evening. He talked for three hours with a slideshow. Nothing new for anyone who knows the books. Got my picture taken and shook hands. A bit like touching a relic. Nice man.
    The thing was held in coventry transport museum. Went back there the following day - a cracking place. Two
    Landspeed record cars including the one that did Mach 1. . Any amount of Jaguars including the one from the next bond film. All free. While on the way home I saw on Facebook that Ted was somewhere in Germany. Amazing how he keeps going at 85. He looks and talks much younger. Also must say how friendly people were while in the UK. Lock in aside - all attempts to pay for drink rebutted - people kept walking up once they saw the plates and luggage, to talk about the bike (it's nothing special) and trips they've made or might make. It restores my faith on the world.

-1 on the bucket list.

Advertisement