Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election posters everywhere, why?

Options
  • 02-05-2015 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondered if anyone could explain why there are loads of election posters everywhere. I know there is the marriage referendum and Presidential age referendum but the various political party posters have no connection to either vote, or do they?

Doesn't really make any sense, or is there an election I wasn't aware of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Do you have any pictures of them? They could just be doing it to align themselves with a side in the referendum so you'll give them your support when the elections do roll around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Chloris wrote: »
    Do you have any pictures of them? They could just be doing it to align themselves with a side in the referendum so you'll give them your support when the elections do roll around.

They are all the prospective candidates in a general election but none of them state yes or no or even mention the referendums. Its just their picture and their party name. So it's just a way to stick their faces on lampposts for a couple of weeks? That is a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Carlow Kilkenny by-election coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I can only presume it's for a by-election because none of the posters make any reference to either referenda.

Well that explains it then, thanks, unusual not to get any literature through the door, maybe I'll get a torrent of it soon, I asked a couple of people at work and no one knew there was a by election either, so I don't feel quite so bad for not knowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Just realised I'll be sampling the delights of Offaly on polling day so no vote for me. Wouldn't have had a clue who to vote for anyway really. Not FF or FG or Renua or Labour anyway, so don't think my vote would have made a blind bit of difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The Anti Austerity Alliance have Yes posters but I'm not sure if they have a candidate for the byelection. I imagine they do as it would be a complete waste of money when the No campaign are already doing a great job of ensuring a Yes vote. Even Betfair paid out five weeks in advance!

Then again given AAA belief in the magic money tree I shouldn't be surprised what they blow their cash on!

Conor Mac liam, I think is AAA candidate again this year. There's also a people before profit candidate apparently. So the zero chance the leftist candidate had anyway is now less than zero with them splitting the few votes they will get.

Funny I hadn't read anything about the election and then I read the People and Carlow Nationalist and it's everywhere! Not fussed about not getting to vote anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

There is a by-election in Kilkenny to fill the seat that was left empty when Phil Hogan went to europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Conor Mac liam, I think is AAA candidate again this year. There's also a people before profit candidate apparently. So the zero chance the leftist candidate had anyway is now less than zero with them splitting the few votes they will get.

Funny I hadn't read anything about the election and then I read the People and Carlow Nationalist and it's everywhere! Not fussed about not getting to vote anyway.

There is a new candidate now afaik. Some crowd called "IdentityIreland" have put someone forward.

Usual guff about cleaning up politics, getting rid of EU influence and clamping down on immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Genuinely shocked at the poor quality candidate FF have put up. Even for them. Heard him speak a few times there on radio and its obvious where the Dunbelievables get their material.

He has ran numerous times and never elected. Either people just not connecting with the message or the candidate

road_high wrote: »
    Genuinely shocked at the poor quality candidate FF have put up. Even for them. Heard him speak a few times there on radio and its obvious where the Dunbelievables get their material.
    Have Fianna Fail actually come out as a party on where they stand on the marriage vote? All the rest seem to at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

catbear wrote: »
    Have Fianna Fail actually come out as a party on where they stand on the marriage vote? All the rest seem to at this stage.

I'd take any party's stance on the equality referendum with a pinch of salt to be honest.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'd take any party's stance on the equality referendum with a pinch of salt to be honest.
    Political parties have as many views as they have members but they still have to come out as a party on national votes. FG, Labour, the Greens, SF and AAA have all come out for a Yes vote, I've seen AAA and FG posters backing Yes but I don't think FF as a party has actually published their position.

Are FF abstaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Political parties have as many views as they have members but they still have to come out as a party on national votes. FG, Labour, the Greens, SF and AAA have all come out for a Yes vote, I've seen AAA and FG posters backing Yes but I don't think FF as a party has actually published their position.

Are FF abstaining?
    They're in favour of a yes vote.

http://www.fiannafail.ie/news/entry/dail-speech-by-niall-collins-on-34th-amendment-of-the-constitution-marriage/

Thanks for clarifying that as I had heard FF have been collecting again outside churches and as far I understand the mens club that is the RCC are against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Saw a poster for Bobby Aylward on the M9 southbound outside Carlow on Monday, thought there weren't meant to be any form of postering on the motorways.

David Fitzgerald's posters say that he's in something called a BYE election

Are FF abstaining?

Read last week that FF voters were most likely by some way to vote No. 40% of them would vote No. Older, less educated rural demographic. Typical of how this dinosaur party have tried to hold up any social progress in this country. Not to mention run the economy in the ground on numerous occasions. And will do the same if given a chance again.
    As for "Bobby", heard he has "concerns" about giving all couple marriage equality. So it's safe to say he is opposed to the idea. Dreadful dreadful candidate.

• Advertisement

If ever there was a case for banning election posters, this bi-election shows that. Kilkenny is absolutely plastered. It seems to be getting worse and worse each election, worse even than the last local election I think. Defo get rid of them and have a (more) level playing field regardless of budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

nootroc wrote: »

David Fitzgerald's posters say that he's in something called a BYE election

By-election or bye-election can be used.

The government/civil servants tend to use bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Thought it might have been a 'bye bye' Phil election

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

road_high wrote: »
    Read last week that FF voters were most likely by some way to vote No. 40% of them would vote No. Older, less educated rural demographic. Typical of how this dinosaur party have tried to hold up any social progress in this country. Not to mention run the economy in the ground on numerous occasions. And will do the same if given a chance again.
    As for "Bobby", heard he has "concerns" about giving all couple marriage equality. So it's safe to say he is opposed to the idea. Dreadful dreadful candidate.

At 8/11 he's well ahead in the betting stakes and should top the poll. Carlow / Kilkenny is one of the most conservative constituencies in the country. It's like the last 10 years never happened.:eek:

mountcisco wrote: »
    At 8/11 he's well ahead in the betting stakes and should top the poll. Carlow / Kilkenny is one of the most conservative constituencies in the country. It's like the last 10 years never happened.:eek:

Hopefully he'll prove transfer toxic.

One big factor against him though is that this by election shares the bill with a referendum that's drawing younger voters that are less forgiving of ff tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

The Anti Austerity Alliance have Yes posters but I'm not sure if they have a candidate for the byelection. I imagine they do as it would be a complete waste of money when the No campaign are already doing a great job of ensuring a Yes vote. Even Betfair paid out five weeks in advance!

Then again given AAA belief in the magic money tree I shouldn't be surprised what they blow their cash on!

Conor MacLiam is running for the AAA again. He does have posters up indicating he's voting Yes for the Marriage referendum [Doubt that will help him though.]

God, I can't wait for all of those posters to be gone. They're just an eysore now. Too many of them with the Marriage ones and Candidate posters stacked on top of each other.

Shame we have to look forward to this all over again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

What a chronic waste of money. What an eyesore. The only enjoyable aspect is the use of photo shopping on them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

holyhead wrote: »
    What a chronic waste of money. What an eyesore. The only enjoyable aspect is the use of photo shopping on them :p

The sad irony is that most of people run on saving the environment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement