Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on new bike?

• 02-05-2015 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Could be the wrong place for this, sorry mods! I'm planning on getting a new bike and I'm seriously stuck on what type I want. I'm a casual cyclist, sea front cycles, cycles to the shops, cycling into town and work etc. I live in a pretty pothole scattered area, and I'm wondering what bike would be good for daily commuting. I've a budget of about €500-€700

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Can you avail of the bike to work scheme?

What distances would the trips you mentioned be?

Would you have any future interest in taking part in sportives/joining a cycling club?

Any plans to cycle on forest trails?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭MW2FAN

Yes I can get the scheme through my work

The furthest would be 10-20 km

I don't really plan on doing so

Very very rarely. I've relatives up in Leitrim so I might do some trails up there. But I doubt it.

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I assume you know the benefits of bike to work and significant savings if you're in the higher tax band the lower rate discount is not to be sneezed at either.

If you are on the higher rate probably best to use the entire €1000 and the bike will cost €480 iirc.

A hybrid (flat bar road bike) would probably suit your needs best. If you can get one with disc breaks that would be ideal for days like today.

This would be a nice high end one but something that fits full mud guards might suit better

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ie/bikes/model/fastroad.slr/20131/79377/
    2015_Giant_Fast_Road_SLR.jpg

It probably wouldn't be ideal for muddy trails but across compacted tracks it should suit fine.

If you have issues with your wrists a relaxed road bike setup might suit better as you have the option if a number of hand positions on the bars to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭MW2FAN

Cheers, appreciate the help!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Cycling Adverts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mark callaghan

Hello there I have a felt Q 920 there for sell it's on the boards page put it up last week if you would be interested in it.my name mark callaghan.I was selling it for 600e would sell it to u for 500e it's in great condition.let me know if you would be interested thanks.mark

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mark callaghan

MW2FAN wrote: »
    Could be the wrong place for this, sorry mods! I'm planning on getting a new bike and I'm seriously stuck on what type I want. I'm a casual cyclist, sea front cycles, cycles to the shops, cycling into town and work etc. I live in a pretty pothole scattered area, and I'm wondering what bike would be good for daily commuting. I've a budget of about €500-€700
    I have a felt Q 920 there for sell.put it on boards last wee in good condition was selling it for 600e will let it go for 500e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I assume you know the benefits.......

now thats nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I have a felt Q 920 there for sell.put it on boards last wee in good condition was selling it for 600e will let it go for 500e

nice looking bike but wouldnt recommend it to the op as its not suited for the purposes intended. best of luck with selling it.

Advertisement