Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Examples of failed projects in Business

Options
  • 02-05-2015 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I am working on a presentation at the moment to put to the management of my company in which I hope to outline the benefits of developing and implementing a 5S project around tooling and workshop organisation. The project has already been commenced but lacks any proper planning and the people involved seem to have different visions as to what the final objective is and how to get there.

I am looking for an example I can use in industry to show how critical it is to the success of the project that it is planned properly. So basically Im looking for an example of a failed project, due to poor planning. Ive scoured the internet but just cant come up with anything which is comparable to use in the presentation. I can find plenty that have failed because of cost over runs or scope changes, but none because of poor planning.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

richiee wrote: »
    I can find plenty that have failed because of cost over runs or scope changes, but none because of poor planning.

Why do you think there was cost over runs and scope changes mid project... I'm guessing poor planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

I honestly think it would be easier to demonstrate the benefits to the whole business of 5S rather than showing examples of where its gone wrong due to poor planning.

5S is a tool that will certainly deliver some short term gains, but always tends to taper off after a while. The most common reason is that the philosophical tenants of lean and lean six sigma are not embraced from the top down and become intrinsic fundamentals of organisational culture. Even the way you have referenced your question OP...you refer to 5S as a project. Lean and its principles in its purest form is woven into day to day activities of the organisation and are not a project to have a start, middle or end...its always happening.

There a great book called World Class Manufacturing by an Irish academic who now works with Enterprise Ireland- Richard Keegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭richiee

Thanks guys, yes I realise that 5S is just part of a wider initiative and mindset. The reason I want to find an example of a failed project (doesn't have to be 5S), is because my company have already started to implement a 5S system but they have failed to do any proper planning. So I was looking for an example of a failed project, so I could use it as a comparison as to where we are headed if we continue on the path we are on. The benefits of the 5S have already been stated and documented from HQ.

The Millennium Dome is the best one I can find at present

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Geniass is correct - the outcome of poor planning is scope creep and cost over runs. As the pm adage goes, forget to plan - plan to fail.

I'm taking it that you are talking about a project to implement 5S? I'd be focusing around change management tbh rather than any specific pm methodology. But you'd have to give a bit more detail.

In any case the classic Project Management gone wrong Case Study is Denver Airport which spends considerable time around the planning aspect. If you have library access to JSTOR etc you should be able to pull the case study but this link is pretty much it and gives references.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Another topical one is Irish Water. While it hasn't failed, through poor planning it has encountered huge opposition and if it was a completely private company it would have failed.

DeLoren Cars might be another one to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hi everyone. I am working on a presentation at the moment to put to the management of my company in which I hope to outline the benefits of developing and implementing a 5S project around tooling and workshop organisation. The project has already been commenced but lacks any proper planning and the people involved seem to have different visions as to what the final objective is and how to get there.

I am looking for an example I can use in industry to show how critical it is to the success of the project that it is planned properly. So basically Im looking for an example of a failed project, due to poor planning. Ive scoured the internet but just cant come up with anything which is comparable to use in the presentation. I can find plenty that have failed because of cost over runs or scope changes, but none because of poor planning.

Any suggestions?
    Firstly, to stand up and lecture anyone on what they are doing RIGHT you must be an expert. Do it on what they are doing WRONG and you need to be an expert with considerable experience. Were you a 5-S expert and fully understood its complexities you would not be posting here.

Secondly, no insider is going to write up how they mismanaged a project so badly that it failed. They have been fired, gone bankrupt, or if very lucky have changed jobs and are keeping their heads down, hoping their screw-up has been forgotten. Unless of course they were so broke and hopeless that to make a few bucks they sold the story in a book, full of rancour and why they were not listened to, inevitably extolling their own worth and how they could have got it right if allowed/backed/supported.

Thirdly, the 5 –S method is now about 20 years old and soo over. (“Isn’t that the Japanese $#itake thingy?”)

Fourthly, from what you wrote you are not running the project. What you propose doing is to march in to your manager & team, tell him/her (in front of everyone) what a monumental cock-up they are making of running the project, that ………..”it lacks any proper planning and the people involved seem to have different visions as to what the final objective is and how to get there.“

Finally, you might be thrilled with your ideas but it is never a good idea to tell the bosses how wrong they are. Particularly in front of an audience. That is the sixth “S”, and it’s known as doing it on your own doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Firstly, to stand up and lecture anyone on what they are doing RIGHT you must be an expert. Do it on what they are doing WRONG and you need to be an expert with considerable experience. Were you a 5-S expert and fully understood its complexities you would not be posting here.

Secondly, no insider is going to write up how they mismanaged a project so badly that it failed. They have been fired, gone bankrupt, or if very lucky have changed jobs and are keeping their heads down, hoping their screw-up has been forgotten. Unless of course they were so broke and hopeless that to make a few bucks they sold the story in a book, full of rancour and why they were not listened to, inevitably extolling their own worth and how they could have got it right if allowed/backed/supported.

Thirdly, the 5 –S method is now about 20 years old and soo over. (“Isn’t that the Japanese $#itake thingy?”)

Fourthly, from what you wrote you are not running the project. What you propose doing is to march in to your manager & team, tell him/her (in front of everyone) what a monumental cock-up they are making of running the project, that ………..”it lacks any proper planning and the people involved seem to have different visions as to what the final objective is and how to get there.“

Finally, you might be thrilled with your ideas but it is never a good idea to tell the bosses how wrong they are. Particularly in front of an audience. That is the sixth “S”, and it’s known as doing it on your own doorstep.

:pac:

Oh Pedro....

For someone so intelligent I can't believe you haven't twigged that this is clearly a student trying to get help with their coursework...

(Still, why miss an opportunity to do what you do best, I suppose... :rolleyes:)

I work in a pretty open and progressive organisation which promotes input and engagement from all within it. I am not going to stand up and `lecture`, I am however going to present my thoughts on where we are lacking in what we are doing, and recommend some solutions to address the issues. You certainly don't need to be an `expert`, to have an opinion and recommend where improvements can be made.

And yes, the people involved, including myself, do have different visions of what the objective is and we don't have a strategy to achieve whatever vision it is we need to formalise. I will be pointing that out and suggesting what I believe we should be doing. If I get shot down, so be it.

It has been posted here and on other sites, that 5S cant be run as a standalone project. That may be correct, but in my company there will be a lot of work in implementing the actual `work`, part of it. By that I mean, redesign of workshop and tool store and then the actual doing of the work. This part of the process in my mind needs to be treated as a project. The continued success of the 5S is mainly on instilling a mindset, receiving top down support and bottom up buy in. I think thats probably more of an operational concern.

And yes, I am also a student :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

The classic case of poor planning used by business schools across the world is the planning of the
    Ford Edsel. Google it.

:pac:

Oh Pedro....

For someone so intelligent I can't believe you haven't twigged that this is clearly a student trying to get help with their coursework...

(Still, why miss an opportunity to do what you do best, I suppose... :rolleyes:)

Good boy Barny! Great to have the benefit of your perspicacity, acuity and on-topic posts. Where would this forum be without your insight and helpful input!

• Advertisement

I work in a pretty open and progressive organisation which promotes input and engagement from all within it. I am not going to stand up and `lecture`, I am however going to present my thoughts on where we are lacking in what we are doing, and recommend some solutions to address the issues. You certainly don't need to be an `expert`, to have an opinion and recommend where improvements can be made.

And yes, the people involved, including myself, do have different visions of what the objective is and we don't have a strategy to achieve whatever vision it is we need to formalise. I will be pointing that out and suggesting what I believe we should be doing. If I get shot down, so be it.

It has been posted here and on other sites, that 5S cant be run as a standalone project. That may be correct, but in my company there will be a lot of work in implementing the actual `work`, part of it. By that I mean, redesign of workshop and tool store and then the actual doing of the work. This part of the process in my mind needs to be treated as a project. The continued success of the 5S is mainly on instilling a mindset, receiving top down support and bottom up buy in. I think thats probably more of an operational concern.

And yes, I am also a student :)
    While your most recent post is much more informative, it does not really change my views. Despite the openness and progressiveness you claim your employer has, it is never a career move to tell the boss he is badly managing a project.

I disagree with the second part of your claim “You certainly don't need to be an `expert`, to have an opinion and recommend where improvements can be made” – everyone is entitled to an opinion, but unless you are an expert you should make suggestions, not recommendations. It would be far more instructive to tackle the matter in a positive way, pointing out positive items rather than negatives.

@Edsonx The Ford Edsel project failed primarily because of bad marketing/consumer research. It did not deliver to the expectations created and driven by marketing hype; it was not an engineering or production failure.

@Voltex – I agree Keegan’s work is interesting, but “World Class Manufacturing” was written by Schonberger, and is still regarded as ‘the bible’ by many.

For more engineering-focussed examples OP you should research the writings of Robert Reich - he was a proponent of ‘organized’ manufacturing (Although much of his writing criticizes US manufacturing being moved offshore because it allowed competitor nations to develop, to fine-tune processes and learn how to quickly transform ideas into product.) Bob Hayes of Harvard is another who wrote about manufacturing being a key factor in the chain and concentrated on the need to have structured manufacturing processes (“He who can only sell is at a great disadvantage” or words to that effect). Attaining Manufacturing Excellence by Hall is a bit dated but also good.

Good boy Barny! Great to have the benefit of your perspicacity, acuity and on-topic posts. Where would this forum be without your insight and helpful input!

I suspect in exactly the same place, on a not hugely utilised part of a popular website... the same place it would be without your very well-informed but unnecessarily pompous, self-important condescension... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Oooh, I do feel rather left out!!!

pedronomix wrote: »
    Oooh, I do feel rather left out!!!

Wait. Have I got my Pedros mixed up?! :eek:

Or are my comments applicable to both... ;)

Wait. Have I got my Pedros mixed up?! :eek:

Or are my comments applicable to both... ;)

I fear you may need quite a sizeable intellect to resolve that particular conundrum, but I am sure you will battle on, manfully!!

I fear you may need quite a sizeable intellect to resolve that particular conundrum, but I am sure you will battle on, manfully!!

It actually is interesting to see that the propensity to be mean anonymously on the Internet transcends boundaries of social class, education and wealth...

If that is a multi-choice question, I will take the monet (oops Freudian Slit!) , every time! For clarity..,. I was just teasing.... for perhaps a lengthy ban!!

If that is a multi-choice question, I will take the monet (oops Freudian Slit!) , every time! For clarity..,. I was just teasing.... for perhaps a lengthy ban!!

Freudian slit? Naw. Being “Fraud” for the crack. Poor old Barny has not forgiven the Manet Pedros for taking issue with his daft comments on insolvent companies and trading while insolvent a few months back. The chap gave up a career in the real world to become a minor public functionary and still has a chip… he still has to post some worthwhile management advice on this forum despite reaching 130+ (I wonder about the motivation of that job-change.....)

Barny, the truth is blunt and if I bother to respond to a post I do not always dress it up with perfume. And criticism on content, coming from you, who wrote to another poster
    I think you definitely are a couple of sambos short of a picnic on this one
    is more than a bit rich.:P

Instead of complaining about
    the propensity to be mean anonymously on the Internet...
    you should smell the coffee - in the real world go tell the boss s/he is mismanaging and presently expect the door – in your position it would be a transfer to (I won’t name the Depts.) where you would linger but get your increments annually. Contribute some on-topic useful advice to the OP or take your moans to me by PM.;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Contribute some on-topic useful advice to the OP or take your moans to me by PM.;)

The 3 of you would be better off contributing something useful to the thread and the op than the handbag nonsense and back seat modding...give it a rest.

Thanks for all the input guys. Some very interesting and well worthwhile suggestions. Ive finalised (I think), my presentation. Ive chosen the Millennium Dome as an example of poor planning, mainly because of the lack of proper planning for the use of the Dome after the millennium celebrations had concluded. It has links to how we need to plan for the future maintenance of the 5S program. I take on board your point Perdoiebar about suggesting rather than recommending, but I also want to be assertive, so am going to continue to describe my suggestions, as recommendations.. lol

Hopefully I get a positive response..... :o

Wish me Luck!!

• Advertisement

Best of luck Richiee. Get a mate/girlfriend to look at the presentation, they would be more subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Value Hunter

Let us know how it goes, a good manager will be happy to hear constructive criticism

Ok, so I did it!

Over all it went very well. My immediate boss loved it (I knew he was behind me), the service manager, who`s next in line said he liked it but as it was telling him where he`s failing, Im not flavour of the month with him or another supervisor who was involved in it already, however, I think they respect me for doing it. The branch manager, loved it and after I was finished, asked me to present my ideas to some other higher bosses. They loved it also.

So overall it went very well and I think when the dust settles, it will be viewed as a good idea by everyone. Its about being tactful now, Ive outlined my ideas and hopefully they will let me implement at least some of them. I got nominated as project manager for it so thats a good start. Im still very much answerable tho to the guys above me, which is fair, managing how I deal with them will be the key, and at the end of the day will only be measured by its success or otherwise.

Overall Im happy with the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

If you are the PM then start off by documenting the scope in as much detail as possible. Do you have full control of the project or will people bypass you? You won't be able to control the project unless the scope is agreed and that all decisions/changes are visible to you (preferably made by you).

If you are the PM then do you have overall responsibility for costs and schedule?

You will find that the scope will change so make sure that changes are documented and agreed. Once everyone agrees that the scope has changed then you will need to agree new timescales and costs.

Hold regular meetings with key people so that the "team" discuss issues and progress.

Advertisement