Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion drawing power but not heating water

Options
  • 02-05-2015 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

Had an issue with the immersion about 6 months ago, had someone over to look at it. They said to leave it on for a few hours to test. After that the water was still totally cold, never bothered to get back as we had the gas on all the time.

Called him back there today and he tested that current was being drawn for both sink and bath. Said the power has to go somewhere so the water must be heating. Asked us to do a test again.

Can any of you explain what might be going on?

Also, he said that sometimes they can stop working intermittently which sounds a bit far fetched.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Had an issue with the immersion about 6 months ago, had someone over to look at it. They said to leave it on for a few hours to test. After that the water was still totally cold, never bothered to get back as we had the gas on all the time.

Called him back there today and he tested that current was being drawn for both sink and bath. Said the power has to go somewhere so the water must be heating. Asked us to do a test again.

Can any of you explain what might be going on?

Also, he said that sometimes they can stop working intermittently which sounds a bit far fetched.

There are a few possibilities including:
    1) The temperature stat (located in the head of the immersion) may be turned down.
    2) A tap may be running meaning that the water is used before it is heated.

How many amps were measured?

Immersions are very straight forward, there should be a noticeable increase in the water temperature after about 20 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

How did he test that current was flowing?

If he simply did a voltage test, then declared that the power has to be going somewhere, then he hasn't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Bruthal wrote: »
    How did he test that current was flowing?

If he simply did a voltage test, then declared that the power has to be going somewhere, then he hasn't a clue.

Pretty much this! Just because there's 230v on a meter when the element is switched on (or worse a light is on in a phase tester) doesn't mean it's working. Was this person a REC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Might be as simple as the cut off stat?

backer-backersafe-immersion-heater-2.jpg

Just press the red button in the middle of the black stat. (Switch off the mains first)

(It might also be part of the main stat that requires pressing to reset)

Some newer immersions have a button on the outside to make it safer for householders to reset it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

If you watch your esb meter while someone turns the immersion on and off it should be very obvious if the disc speeds up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Easy enough to check OP, just get someone to turn the immersion on and off while another keeps an eye on the meter, they should notice the meter speeding up when the immersion is switched on and slow down when it is switched off.

Not very scientific but a start to seeing if the thread title is true or false.

Edit> As above beaten to the obvious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

He tested the current being drawn. It was around 6 amps if I remember correctly. As for him being a REC (i assume that means registered electrical contractor) I don't think so. He is the rental agency handyman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

But did you test yourself as suggested above?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I shall have a look but I saw the current going from 0 -> 6 when the switch was turned on. Could it be a faulty thermostat? Do they normally cut off when they reach a certain temperature?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Do they normally cut off when they reach a certain temperature?

Yes, which is adjustable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

He tested the current being drawn. It was around 6 amps if I remember correctly. As for him being a REC (i assume that means registered electrical contractor) I don't think so. He is the rental agency handyman.

What test did he do? It would be very unlikely to draw 6 amps and for something not to get hot. I'd be surprised if this handyman knows how to test it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Have you checked the level in the water tank in the attic?

Do you have a mixer tap in the kitchen? High pressure water could be crossing into the hot water pipe and pushing water back into the attic tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Have you checked the level in the water tank in the attic?

Do you have a mixer tap in the kitchen? High pressure water could be crossing into the hot water pipe and pushing water back into the attic tank.

That would become noticeable by water coming from overflow out of house at the roof.

Advertisement