Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race packs for the run

• 02-05-2015 12:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Anyone else severely under whelmed by the contents of the race packs they're giving out today for entries, few leaflets, jellies and wart cream!! Didn't even get the sticky sided race numbers Uve to safety pin to the T-shirt (which they didn't include in the pack) for the cost of entry into the event it's looking like a bit of a rip off

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I don't know about that but they really need to organise things better out there.

Why collection of packs can't be staggered over different locations / days /times etc I don't know.

We went out there this morning, no parking - as usual.. people were queueing out of the sports building and up past the first car park - in the rain.

Decided to drive straight through and head home. Will attempt again this afternoon - my son is doing the kids run. No doubt will be the same farcical approach.

Their planning and organisation is an absolute disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

angeldaisy wrote: »

Their planning and organisation is an absolute disaster.

As a resident on the route I have to agree, every year it is the same farce trying to get information out of them. Even the simple things like the supposed letter with general information about race times and road closures never arrive. I have been told twice this year that they have been delivered to every house on the route and that they would stick another one in the post but neither I or my neighbors have got one. Last year they didn't even place the marshals where they said they would.

Just to be clear I have nothing against the race, just its organisers inability to organise anything properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Very disappointed!

2mpem0z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

As a resident on the route I have to agree, every year it is the same farce trying to get information out of them. Even the simple things like the supposed letter with general information about race times and road closures never arrive. I have been told twice this year that they have been delivered to every house on the route and that they would stick another one in the post but neither I or my neighbors have got one. Last year they didn't even place the marshals where they said they would.

Just to be clear I have nothing against the race, just its organisers inability to organise anything properly.

Same for us. we are on the route and its PAIN, its so badly organised and i was actually blocked off from walking to my home last year. Its really poorly run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

A bit crap really, hopefully the day will be better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyone else severely under whelmed by the contents of the race packs they're giving out today for entries, few leaflets, jellies and wart cream!! Didn't even get the sticky sided race numbers Uve to safety pin to the T-shirt (which they didn't include in the pack) for the cost of entry into the event it's looking like a bit of a rip off

I've never had sticky race numbers at any running event (just the sticker for my bike in a duathlon) but they had loads of boxes of safety pins on the tables this afternoon for people to help themselves.

The bag is outrageous though. It would have been less insulting if they just gave out the jerseys and didn't bother with the pretence of a "race pack".

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

How do you expect them to make as much money as possible if they put some good stuff into the goodie bag?

Need to ask more questions than just about the goodie bag. Why is it a 6 mile run and not a 10K?

The expo was a disaster, majority of stands had nothing to do with running or sport. Lovely stand as you come in the door with just junk food.

Most of the volunteers were good but in the Raheen area I came across two young lads leaning up against a large rock while a driver attempted to pull out in front of runners.

Why is the race that is meant to be advertising Limerick running through housing estates.

NYC manage to shut down 1st Avenue / Verzanno Bridge / Central Park etc... Why can't Limerick close down a few streets and give the runners some room to run.

Bought time they start looking at this as a way to attract runners and supporters to Limerick instead of just a money making practice for some company.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

NY is about $250 to enter and there are 50,000 people doing the marathon

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    NY is about $250 to enter and there are 50,000 people doing the marathon

I know, I have ran in it 9 times. In giving it as an example I was trying to show that:

In one of the busiest city's in the world (1.6 Million people living there - Manahattan alone) they can shut down bridges, avenues for a marathon.

With 50,000 entrants, never once have I had to queue to enter the Jacob Javitts Center, not to mind queue again before you can get into the registration area and they do baggage checks on entering there.

There were thousands running the 6 mile run yesterday and there was no room for them out by Thomondgate, they were running on the opposite side of the road against oncoming traffic.

Is that the sign of a properly organised race?

And as for the goodie bag, a sample packet of sweets that were probably provided to the race organizers for free along with wart cream.

The Joey Hannan gave a lovely pair Giro cycling gloves last weekend and the Hell of the West give amazing goodie bags every year.

If they want to get this race growing and have higher numbers in the marathon they need to start organizing the race not throw it together.

It could be a great event bringing in much needed business to the city but has to be done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I do the 6 miles every year and this year I was completely disappointed with the whole affair and it had nothing to do with the rain. The race pack was terrible. They could at least have given those string bags instead of the plastic ones.

The organisation at the start of the race was atrocious. I didn't set off until 10 to 2 and then was dodging walkers for first 2 miles. The route is too narrow for them not to separate walkers and runners at the start of the race. When we got to the narrow tunnel under st michaels boat club there was spectators standing in under the bridge forcing the 'runners' to all walk through a tiny jammed space. I barrelled head first into a spectator on the pavement but I literally had no where else to go.Surely the great limerick run should have anticipated this bottle neck with the rain and made sure spectators were not standing under the bridge.

The great limerick run have sponsorship from barringtons hospital and other parties. The cost of entry to race is high enough. I appreciate that the running an event this size is expensive but they don't appear to be putting any money into it whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I was in the six mile as well, but near the front. We were let out in the third bunch (they held people back to prevent bottlenecks).

Just before that underpass I had to dodge four walkers with umbrellas walking in single file!

They do ask walkers to go a different way in, but I presume some just ignore them, we were just saying they could have closed more roads as well, thomondgate specifically as loads of people were running outside the cones to overtake others into oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

This is my first year living in a house on the marathon route and I wouldn't have known it if I hadn't looked up the route on Friday night as I normally walk my dogs along the river/canal and wanted to check what times it would be closed off for the runners. I was pretty shocked to find out that the marathon would be going past my house not once, but twice as I'm on a street where the race doubles back on itself. Once I saw that that section of the marathon would be over by midday, I changed my plans for the morning until after 12pm as I assumed that the roads would be closed for the race. I used to live near the Dublin City Marathon route and the route roads near me were completely closed for that.

I liked having the race come past the house, I went out with my 2yo yesterday morning and he had a great time cheering on the runners and was chuffed whenever any of them gave him a high five or ruffled his hair but it was really bad form of the organisers to not let residents know what was going on. Even a few signs up on lamp posts the week before telling people they were on the race route and that they wouldn't be able to drive in or out of their driveways between 9.30am and 11.30am would have been enough.

I also agree that it's poor form to have the race route go through traffic. At times while runners were on my street there was two way traffic trying to go by. Later in the afternoon I was driving past Thomondgate and saw cars being able to drive across the race route. They were being directed by the guards but it still seemed quite dangerous and completely unfair to everyone involved. As much as possible the roads should be closed along the route at the times the racers will be on it, if there are sections of the route where parts of the road have to be open, traffic should never be allowed to cross the route and residents of the route need to be given plenty of advance, detailed notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

There is so much rubbish around the city from this race. I was up early and saw it first hand. Pery square is strewn with abandoned clothes/plastic bags/bottles. There were so many plastic bottles thrown on the ground around The Strand Hotel and Ard Scoil.

Runners will always throw water bottles they are given - the organisers should have tidied ALL of them up before going. People shouldnt, but always will leave old jumpers etc at starts of races - the race organisers know this...or should know this. I dont want to see this rubbish left all over the city - the organisers of this race need to clean it up before leaving. I think its disgraceful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

As mush as it pains me to say, it was pretty much a trainwreck from start to finish.

- 2 hours in traffic to and from expo. No parking.

-Incredible queues to get into the expo.

-No organisation of queues, we were waiting 20 minutes only to be told that queue was only for people who didn't print their sheet. Told had to go to back of other queue. In the pouring rain.

-Rude staff

-couldn't try on tech top for size. I asked they point blank refused me. Ended up with poor size.

-the expo was a joke. Solicitors, junk food and a few clothes stalls. Nothing for any serious runner. Half the stalls from last year. We stayed about 20 minutes.

-the goodie bag was a joke. Short-dated Wart cream and a bag of horrible sweets. That was it. Nothing for a runner. No gear bag.

- before race day, they were separating the runners and walkers prior to entry only to lead them into the same area! No segregation. I ended up avoiding walkers all day.

- unannounced phased start times. Some people were still waiting go 25 mins after the gun time! Warm ups gone to waste for many.

-very poor signage. No sign of any mile markers.

- anyone that finished the 6 mile after the hour hadn't any official timings. They took the timers down!!!

-still waiting for my text message to state my time.

- plenty of marathon runners had no medals. Utter disgrace.

-lots of people have incorrect times or times associated with the wrong runner.

-many chips didn't work.

If this wasn't in my home situ I wouldn't even think about running it again. A farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

The race pack was an utter joke. Wart cream?? They might as well have just given everyone the pack of jellies with their t-shirt and not wasted all that paper and plastic.

They do ask walkers to go a different way in, but I presume some just ignore them, we were just saying they could have closed more roads as well, thomondgate specifically as loads of people were running outside the cones to overtake others into oncoming traffic.

I actually don't think they did this year :rolleyes:

The walker thing wa s on the email they sent out telling you where to go, and they asked me going in to the "runner's" area. I assumed people just ignored them but maybe they gave up!

The wart cream is definitely the bizarrest part! At least blister cream might have made more sense...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

The walker problem is every year for the 6 mile. The only solution is to make the walking part cheaper by a little bit and issue them different coloured numbers, as they do with the Marathon and Half marathon. I made it to the front this year and it was still chaos until after the Curragower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

They were telling walkers to go via Barrington Street, and not Hartstone street, but with that volume who is going to be able to police it.

I was in the 3rd group to go 6 mins after the serious contenders went and we were pushing past walkers at the Glentworth hotel, some with golf umbrellas up??

They were telling walkers to go via Barrington Street, and not Hartstone street, but with that volume who is going to be able to police it.

I was in the 3rd group to go 6 mins after the serious contenders went and we were pushing past walkers at the Glentworth hotel, some with golf umbrellas up??

Was in that same group. Passed 4 walking abreast with umbrellas shortly after that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

FutureGuy wrote: »
    As mush as it pains me to say, it was pretty much a trainwreck from start to

-No organisation of queues, we were waiting 20 minutes only to be told that queue was only for people who didn't print their sheet. Told had to go to back of other queue. In the pouring rain.

-Rude staff

-couldn't try on tech top for size. I asked they point blank refused me.

-very poor signage. No sign of any mile markers.

- anyone that finished the 6 mile after the hour hadn't any official timings. They took the timers down!!!

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but also think you are being very unfair with some points which simply aren't true!

I have no connection with the run by the way, I did do the half marathon so I was out on the course!

Regarding mile markers, they were there, I saw them all! I don't see how you can say there were none!

About not being able to try on the t-shirt, I honestly don't think that would be practical, let's be honest, there were 10,000 people to get through! I've heard in some races there is no t-shirt size choice, it's one size fits all, at least you had a choice!

About joining the wrong q, there were 2 signs up over that desk saying ticket reprint station, maybe there also should have been a volunteer, but it was signed!!

I have a friend who did the 6 mile in 1hr35 official chip timed, so again your point about taking timers down after 1 hour is untrue!

As I said, I've no connection to the run, it certainly wasn't perfect, but I think a lot of your comments are unfair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

And what happened to the little bags with lucozade etc at the end?? Disaster from start to finish
    Walkers with the cop on of a slug with unbrellas up wandering in front of people but no organisation from start to finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I certainly didn't see any email about designated places for walkers or runners. I really do not think it's too difficult to patrol. They should clearly mark the two entrance ways for runners and walkers, and put any walkers to the back of the race. I also didn't see any mile markers until the 3rd mile.

I don't like giving out about local events and have always championed the great limerick run. However, it really was shambolic this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

panda100 wrote: »
    it really was shambolic this year

Not to mention the 6 Miles medals ribbon stating May 2nd instead of May 3rd. (Pink Ribbon's)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Awful to hear it was so badly run and this is two years in a row now. How they let people into it with umbrellas is incredible. No medals again for the second year running for a lot of people that did it. I had heard it was a money racket for the guy who runs it and it looks like that is the case.

For sign ups you could easily have one in UL, one in LIT and one in mungret GAA or somewhere out that side of town. You will still have queuing but surely it will spread it out and speed things up.

How the local papers aren't asking questions about it is strange. Unless someone pulls them on it they will continue to run it the same way.

When you are charging for something there is no excuse for not doing it right.

Skuxx wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying but also think you are being very unfair with some points which simply aren't true!

I have no connection with the run by the way, I did do the half marathon so I was out on the course!
    Regarding mile markers, they were there, I saw them all! I don't see how you can say there were none!

Well myself, my wife and many number of people didnt see any mile markers in the 6 mile race so if they were there, they must have been very poorly marked.
    About not being able to try on the t-shirt, I honestly don't think that would be practical, let's be honest, there were 10,000 people to get through! I've heard in some races there is no t-shirt size choice, it's one size fits all, at least you had a choice!

Yes, there were 10,000 to get through but not everyone needed to try it on, just a small fraction who were unsure. I lost 2 kg in the 5 weeks before the race and I wanted to check a medium (and this was the first year they stopped people doing it btw). You were able to try them on at your leisure last year and it caused no problems. BTW I've never been to a race this large to find a one sized t-shirt and I have run alot of races.
    About joining the wrong q, there were 2 signs up over that desk saying ticket reprint station, maybe there also should have been a volunteer, but it was signed!!

And how can someone see those signs when they are in a queue OUTSIDE the building (all they way back to the car park) and the two queues appeared to be one larger queue?
    I have a friend who did the 6 mile in 1hr35 official chip timed, so again your point about taking timers down after 1 hour is untrue!

It's not untrue because they were not there! When you cross the line, the official timers were not there. They were hanging above the line all day long (three of them) and they were not there when we crossed the line!
    As I said, I've no connection to the run, it certainly wasn't perfect, but I think a lot of your comments are unfair!

We I don't think they are unfair. Many people have the same problems, far worse than mine.

As I said, I don't like the fact it was poorly organised but it was.

Not to mention the 6 Miles medals ribbon stating May 2nd instead of May 3rd. (Pink Ribbon's)

I know!

You. Had. One. Job.

I have taken part in races where there are +45,000 runners and they allow you to try before you choose a size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Havnt been online all wknd but found the race packs an absolute farce.

I ran the 6 miles about 3 years ago and the difference is astounding. I got a Mach4 razor and a load of other stuff. Plus the tshirt is fairly substandard to that one aswell.

I think the event is definetly going downhill and there seems to be very little put into the organisation of running a city marathon.

Go to the likes of Clonakilty in December and you'll see how a proper race is organised. Mile placards with inspirational quotes to drive you on over the course, water stations evenly spread out.

I hate the barricades as well, why fence the whole street makes it a dogs dinner to try and meet people after.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭CONSI

Didnt do the run this year so disappointed to hear it was such a mess. 13000 people involved is a considerable number and it continues to grow, maybe now they need to sit down and figure out where they want this to go....15000/20000 within the next 3 years, is that feasible, how would we do it from a logistics point of view, how do we solve the issues we are having, medals, tops, expo (is there a need for the expo, is the race big enough to warrant it when 10k seem to do the 6mile race which is for a lot of fun runner or people with umbrellas)...there's a lot of good things about the run and some bad...if they ironed out the bad it could be a memorable date for the annual diary..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

one fault I have to add which hasn't been mentioned is the bottle neck where the full and half marathon runners meet up with the 6mile (think its Glentworth Street/O'Connell st junction). there is no one to tell the full/half people which direction to go in, nothing to keep bystanders from wandering across the road in front of them, or wandering off the footpath into the track of runners. why these important junctions aren't marshalled is beyond me.

I was at the finish line waiting for people and saw countless runners go back and get 2 and 3 medals which they then gave to their kids outside the mesh barriers. surely easy enough to ensure everyone gets their one medal. its the slower people who almost deserve the medal more than the faster as usually its a much bigger achievement to the guy who spent 6+ hours on a marathon than the 4 hour person.

Advertisement