Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[req] Eye Pieces - live viewing before decision made

Options
  • 02-05-2015 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade me eye pieces.
    I'm using a Celestron C8 Starbright XLT Telescope OTA.
    I have 1.25" and I am going for the 2".
    I will trade or sell my current set and looking to get something in range of 8x - 14x - 24x - 30x.

Few key points, as explained by Ktech:

-good eye relief
    -multicoating
    -multiple glasses
    -size/weight matter for my scope / mount

Kind of short stopped at TeleView and / or Explore Scientific.
    Beside the price (I have a very strict budget now) I don't quite understand / visualise the field of view:100,68,58 degrees angle

Not lastly, Stephen said that he can source a best recommendation based on my current scope, range, power, capacity / capabilities as some EP does not bring the maximum performance out of a scope, mine been f/10 is a "slow" one !?

My Q is there a place or someone that uses those EP so I can see them live before placing an order ?
    Cannot ask someone to purchase them and/or have it in stock for me to check, i'm guessing someone are using them already ... :)

I'm waiting for my scope to be repaired so I have patience in sourcing the b€st solution.

Many thanks .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

From the little i've learned i have found that faster scopes place more demand on eyepieces and make it harder for them to keep an image clean at the edges. Slower scopes have less aberration etc. so you could use a bigger range of eyepieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

From the little i've learned i have found that faster scopes place more demand on eyepieces and make it harder for them to keep an image clean at the edges. Slower scopes have less aberration etc. so you could use a bigger range of eyepieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks.

I've done the maths and based on my C8 output OTA diameter, the 2" will be fine.
    Not sure about the FoV, i will stick with the 82" so far.

I'm going to order few EP made by Explore Scientific.
    I guess... 30mm ,18mm and 11mm.
    Im I going wrong with the choice here !?

Found the below links that assist me in making me decision:

Explore Scientific Eye Pieces

Eye Piece's Exit Pupil

Very good discussion about the 82" EPs

Basic about Eye Pieces in SCTs

EP magnification

Celestron KB

Advertisement