Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breathalysing Football Fans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/11578118/Football-fans-to-be-breathalysed-before-matches.html

Cambridge United will breathalyse fans before entering the stadium at their match against Burton Albion today.

Absolutely crazy stuff, that the authorities resort to these kind of tactics. Between kettling away fans, enforcing bubble matches, giving the police power to move fans from an area for 48 hours without any evidence of an offence, specifically targetting football fans with legislation - banning terraces, drinking alcohol in sight of the pitch etc. Some of these are just counter-productive and aggravate what they seek to eliminate. Eg, the banning of drinking in the stands leads to more supporters necking drinks just before kick off or at half time, instead of supping away during the match.

Having breathalysers at the entrances places further burdens on people who just want to watch a match and further stigmatises football fans.

I think you'll find it stigmatises drinking. Sober football fans will have apparently have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Kirby wrote: »
    I think you'll find it stigmatises drinking.

It gives the perception that all football fans are pissheads that are only out for trouble. It's absolutely ridiculous when public order laws are already there to deal with intoxicated fans causing trouble. Football-related arrests in England are at an all-time low. 1 arrest for every 16,800 fans. So, let's make it look like the other 16,799 are pissheads to catch that one fella? (And that's generously assuming that every single arrest is alcohol-related, which it's not.)
    Sober football fans will have apparently have nothing to worry about.
    Sounds like the old "if you have nothing to hide" argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I wonder if this will count for the people in the business seats or boxes who can get absolutely wasted on champagne etc.

Doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I wouldn't have been allowed into a game for the last 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

When we played Hannover in EL few years, they had a drunk tank outside the stadium. As everyone was being breathalysed the pats fans were having a high score game, i got 4.2(i think) and got to sit in the drunk tank for a few minutes.

Highest was 5 something, cops gave up after about 30 people and just let us all in.

Good times :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I assume it'll be the same for rugby fans, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

We could do with breathalysing some posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Another decision made by people that have no understanding of the game or the people that follow it.

Wow, what a waste of police time and money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The sanitisation of football rolls on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I think you'll find it stigmatises drinking. Sober football fans will have apparently have nothing to worry about.

Yeah, what type of demonic fiends go to a football ground after a few pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Demonic fiends :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Might actually start remembering some away trips which could be good or bad depending on the era.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A thread title/subject straight from the mid 1980s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/11578118/Football-fans-to-be-breathalysed-before-matches.html

Cambridge United will breathalyse fans before entering the stadium at their match against Burton Albion today.

Absolutely crazy stuff, that the authorities resort to these kind of tactics. Between kettling away fans, enforcing bubble matches, giving the police power to move fans from an area for 48 hours without any evidence of an offence, specifically targetting football fans with legislation - banning terraces, drinking alcohol in sight of the pitch etc. Some of these are just counter-productive and aggravate what they seek to eliminate. Eg, the banning of drinking in the stands leads to more supporters necking drinks just before kick off or at half time, instead of supping away during the match.

Having breathalysers at the entrances places further burdens on people who just want to watch a match and further stigmatises football fans.

What do you expect from a nanny nazi big brother SS state like the UK ?

• niallo27 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have been allowed into a game for the last 10 years.

Spot on, just because someone enjoys a few beers towards the build up of game doesn't mean there pissheads looking for trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Alcohol is pretty much the only thing that makes League 2 football tolerable.

Stupid idea which will hopefully be forgotten by next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I assume it'll be the same for rugby fans, right?
    No because you are allowed to have a drink at rugby matches because rugby fans are able to mingle together without trying to murder each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Spot on, just because someone enjoys a few beers towards the build up of game doesn't mean there pissheads looking for trouble
    anncoates wrote: »
    Yeah, what type of demonic fiends go to a football ground after a few pints.

People who have a few pints have nothing to worry about. The binge drinkers who have ten, they are the ones who will be effected.

No because you are allowed to have a drink at rugby matches because rugby fans are able to mingle together without trying to murder each other.

Cmon, that's hyperbole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

People who have a few pints have nothing to worry about. The binge drinkers who have ten, they are the ones who will be effected.

Did you even read the article? It says in the fourth paragraph that admission is refused for those who test at twice the legal drink-driving limit will be refused. That's about 3.5 pints. It can also give false positives for things like mouthwash and a recent drink, which can cause delays at best or denial of entrance for fans under this arbitrary limit at worst.

Don't you think the legislation in the UK is equipped to deal with heavily intoxicated fans?
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Cmon, that's hyperbole.

The Taylor Report actually highlighted the heavily enforced segregation increasing the risk of trouble (para 185). Fans of opposing teams become more anonymised with one another and there's more bravado going on behind the safety of a fence/a line of security, increaing tension. Strict, draconian measures increases antagonisation between fans and security, as well.

This stuff is normal in Europe.

havent been to an english game in a long time sort off assumed they started it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

dreamers75 wrote: »
    This stuff is normal in Europe.

I've been to games in Spain, France, Germany, Poland, Belgium, Netherlands,... and never have I seen people being forced to take a breathalyser before entering the game.

Hell, in all of those countries it was apparently fine to take beer in the stands.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I've been to games in Spain, France, Germany, Poland, Belgium, Netherlands,... and never have I seen people being forced to take a breathalyser before entering the game.

Hell, in all of those countries it was apparently fine to take beer in the stands.

Yeah, I've been to games in Europe and both North and South America. No breathalysing at any. Definitely isn't "normal".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've often sat beside opposition fans at Dalymount. Have even had a few drinks with St. Pats fans in the bars there before/after a game and nothing is ever said bar a few friendly jibes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm a bit of a ground hopper, have been to a lot of grounds. Never seen it once. It's not the norm anywhere.

Not a big drinker myself, but this is shocking stuff altogether. Those who display an inability to function, or aggressive threatening behaviour should not be permitted entry to a stadium. Those who have a few drinks, and even dare to get a bit drunk on their weekend off should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Of course. I forget about all those corpses clogging up the stands at the Aviva when Ireland played Poland.

Jelle1880 wrote: »

Its normal for away fans, Odense, Hannover, Warsaw all had it. Dont recall Hertha doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

That_Guy wrote: »
    I've often sat beside opposition fans at Dalymount. Have even had a few drinks with St. Pats fans in the bars there before/after a game and nothing is ever said bar a few friendly jibes.
    Stop lying. We both know you've tried to murder opposition fans any time you were let into their stand. As have I. We can't be trusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The problems stem from too many away football fans at games.

Advertisement