Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Geography- Regional, Please Help!

Options
  • 02-05-2015 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I don't really understand certain questions,in other words what do I have to write about.
    I have studied the western region, Dublin region, Paris basin, Mezzogiorno and india.
    Examine the factors that influence the development of secondary economic activity in an Irish region you have studied.

I know i can do either the west or dublin but I'm not sure what I actually write about. Do I discuss manufacturing industries or what.

Discuss the factors that influence the development of one tertiary economic activity in one Irish region you have studied

What about this one as well.
    In my book it has only broken it down into physical process, economic activities and human processes.

These are just two examples of questions.
    Can someone please just tell me what exactly do i discuss in each essay.
    Please help, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

For the first one, it might be easier to talk about the GDA.

Obviously transport/government policies/human processes all affect how industry operates in a region. You could also talk about how it has developed throughout the years (talk about native manufacturing, low-level manufacturing, branch plants, EU 1973 and the benefits etc).

For the second one, you should talk about Services in the GDA.

You could discuss a few human factors, which stress the importance of development in services. As the population grows, obviously more services would be required so it'd be in higher demand and hence wages would rise in the sector. Stick a few facts and number in there.

Then talk about the IFSC and how it has developed.

You can also mention a few funds and government plans, which has helped develop services (Transport 21 encourages improvement in transport - LUAS is direct result. People can now move around more freely and greater access to services, hence more revenue.)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

For the first one, it might be easier to talk about the GDA.

Obviously transport/government policies/human processes all affect how industry operates in a region. You could also talk about how it has developed throughout the years (talk about native manufacturing, low-level manufacturing, branch plants, EU 1973 and the benefits etc).

For the second one, you should talk about Services in the GDA.

You could discuss a few human factors, which stress the importance of development in services. As the population grows, obviously more services would be required so it'd be in higher demand and hence wages would rise in the sector. Stick a few facts and number in there.

Then talk about the IFSC and how it has developed.

You can also mention a few funds and government plans, which has helped develop services (Transport 21 encourages improvement in transport - LUAS is direct result. People can now move around more freely and greater access to services, hence more revenue.)

for the second one there isn't much detail given in the book to answer this question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

nokia211 wrote: »
    for the second one there isn't much detail given in the book to answer this question

You can do some research. I got a few SRPs by researching a few sections.

 Major sector in economy – 2/3 work in services
     Demand increase = income levels rise
     Urban centres linked – Dublin Bus – Dart – Luas
     Easy access to services – rise in Marketing and Finance
     IFSC – 1986 – finance centre in Dublin
     Corporation tax lower – 10%
     Over 450 Service corporations
     6000 direct jobs – 11,000 indirect jobs
     Skilled and educated workforce
     Manage €360 Billion in funds
     Tourism – 75% all economic revenue
     Dublin – 3rd most popular city – 5 Million visitors
     Attractions – Trinity – Dublin Caste – GPO
     Renowned parks – Stephen Green – Phoenix Park
     150,000 work in tourism

Here is a list of SRPs I have saved on Tertiary. Make sure to mention stuff like Transport 21 and EU Structural Fund when talking about transport.

Advertisement