Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

waterproof gloves

• 02-05-2015 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Seriously is there any such thing.when I check all the reviews on the so called waterproof gloves there always ones which say not at all water proof.nothing worse than cold wet hands cycling I so need real waterproof ones

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I actually don't think anything is really waterproof. Water can always get in at the wrists anyway. Degrees of protection alright and the level or rain also plays a part. I've a pair of castelli neoprone ones that keep my hands warm once the water warms up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I tried a pair of neoprene water proof gloves on in decathlon in Belfast. A few things:

They feel horrible to wear.
    Your hands will sweat like crazy and end up wet anyway.
    They're heavy and dexterity is severely restricted with them.
    They're expensive.

I had to do a sportive last year in the pudding rain. I wore latex disposable gloves under regular long fingered winter gloves and even though my hands were a bit sweaty they weren't overly warm and therefore swollen.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭willdill

I tried a pair of neoprene water proof gloves on in decathlon in Belfast. A few things:

They feel horrible to wear.
    Your hands will sweat like crazy and end up wet anyway.
    They're heavy and dexterity is severely restricted with them.
    They're expensive.

I had to do a sportive last year in the pudding rain. I wore latex disposable gloves under regular long fingered winter gloves and even though my hands were a bit sweaty they weren't overly warm and therefore swollen.

That's a good idea latex gloves under neath the normal gloves may give that a go cheers matey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

you can check these gloves

omri wrote: »

Look at some the reviews mate people saying there not waterproof

• Advertisement

willdill wrote: »
    Look at some the reviews mate people saying there not waterproof

I've been using them during the autumn/winter and they kept me dry.

Really even in heavy rain mate

Just done some more research on these.these seem like the will do the job mostly all good reviews

Really even in heavy rain mate

Yes at the time I've been using them (good old days) I'd cycle min 30km/day and very often that would go up to 70-80km rain or shine except the very windy storms. I also was using their socks and as far as I can remember the outer layer got wet but the inner kept your feet dry.

Yes at the time I've been using them (good old days) I'd cycle min 30km/day and very often that would go up to 70-80km rain or shine except the very windy storms. I also was using their socks and as far as I can remember the outer layer got wet but the inner kept your feet dry.

Ha ha my next question was any recommendations for keeping feet dry 😊😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

There's no such thing as waterproof gloves.
    Yes the fabric maybe water repellent but water will always get in the big massive holes in the wrists
    What makes a good pair of gloves is that they keep your hands warm when they get wet

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

Just done some more research on these.these seem like the will do the job mostly all good reviews

Had a pair on last Saturday for the Wicklow Skoda cycle.
    They kept my hands dry as far as Sallygap, but even when the water did get in my hands were nice and warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

dvntie wrote: »
    There's no such thing as waterproof gloves.
    Yes the fabric maybe water repellent but water will always get in the big massive holes in the wrists
    Even if the gloves go under the jacket sleeves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

I brought two pairs of gloves with me to the Randonee today, a pair of the above and a pair of these,

http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/winter-riding-gloves

I got about an hour and a half dry out of the winter riding ones before the water got in and after changing in Laragh about an hour out of the ultra grip ones, to be fair my hands were't really cold with either but I always find it's not a great idea to put back on wet gloves after a food stop, so if the weather looks bad I'll usually bring a spare pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Lumen wrote: »
    Even if the gloves go under the jacket sleeves?

Yeah, I find it's almost impossible to make a seal there, if there's a lot of water coming down a small proportion will get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I seen a good one today, a guy with cycling gloves with gardening gloves underneath. The ones with fabric on top and rubber on the palms and fingers. He said they kept his hands very warm and still good control of his bike

nilhg wrote: »
    Yeah, I find it's almost impossible to make a seal there, if there's a lot of water coming down a small proportion will get in.

You could possibly try to seal them with the electric tape :)

Ha ha my next question was any recommendations for keeping feet dry 😊😊

Just came back from 30km spin wearing a pair over the castelli nano flex leg warmers, the socks soak some water, so when got home I was leaving wet trail, but once taken off feet were dry with tiny bit of sweat. Having said that my feet got bit cold as wasn't wearing any overshoes. Shoes now in the oven drying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

These are waterproof to a point. I have had 2 pairs of these and same gig with both:- Dry for the first hour and then the rain just gets in.

They are great gloves and nice fitting but not totally waterproof. Might try that nice trick with the latex ... :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Skin is waterproof.
    Wouldn't worry about waterproof gloves ain't going to work over a long spin. They'll trap your body sweat.....which is water+

Spend yer money falsely.
    Keep your hands warm.....if that's the issue? with merino wool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I wouldn't wear latex gloves personally, I can wear them for short spells when doing stuff around the house but my skin doesn't like prolonged exposure to them. I believe that it's common enough that people become sensitive to latex - I use nitrile gloves these days when working on the bike, etc., but I'd be reluctant to wear those on the bike too as they are not breathable either so I'd expect them to cause me issues.

For me the holy grail of gloves are ones that are breathable and keep my hands warm, as others have mentioned they really don't need to be waterproof at all. I've yet to find that holy grail but I've had positive experiences with both merino and silk gloves as the first layer - it's tough to find decent quality merino glove liners though, I've only tried IceBreaker and they were okay but I don't think their merino is particularly good quality generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I use these with the latex gloves underneath if raining ever since my hands nearly froze off after a descent in the pouring rain. Not a problem since though.

Advertisement