Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Corps Cadetship 2015 - Any Interview Advice?

Options
  • 02-05-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Sorry if this is the wrong section, first time posting and I'm not entirely sure about the categorical/correct forum rules.

I've applied for the Air Corp Cadetship this year as I've just turned 18 and I'm finally eligible. I've done a lot of research so I'm not looking for any information on the Air Corps itself really more just any advice on how to carry myself in the interview and how I should prepare.

I'm 18 as I said, about to sit my Leaving Cert. My grandad was RAF during WW2 and that's the main reason I've always wanted to be a military pilot. Few more little things to point out:

1) I've no interest in commercial flying at the moment, not an incentive for me.
    2) I have a meeting with an Ex-RAF helicopter pilot and current recruiter for a large airline - Any questions I should ask him? (no interest in RAF fyi)
    3) As I don't have a Degree from college what should I try emphasise on my CV?

Anyone who's currently in the Air Corps or anybody who has gone through the interview process I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

itsmerob wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong section, first time posting and I'm not entirely sure about the categorical/correct forum rules.

I've applied for the Air Corp Cadetship this year as I've just turned 18 and I'm finally eligible. I've done a lot of research so I'm not looking for any information on the Air Corps itself really more just any advice on how to carry myself in the interview and how I should prepare.

I'm 18 as I said, about to sit my Leaving Cert. My grandad was RAF during WW2 and that's the main reason I've always wanted to be a military pilot. Few more little things to point out:

1) I've no interest in commercial flying at the moment, not an incentive for me.
    2) I have a meeting with an Ex-RAF helicopter pilot and current recruiter for a large airline - Any questions I should ask him? (no interest in RAF fyi)
    3) As I don't have a Degree from college what should I try emphasise on my CV?

Anyone who's currently in the Air Corps or anybody who has gone through the interview process I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks

Hi there,

To the best of my knowledge the format of the selection process is roughly;
    1. Fitness test
    2. Psychometric exams/prelim interview
    3. Final interview/psychologist interview and motor skills test
    4. Medical

The preliminary interview is generally a panel of 2/3 officers. It is semi formal and is more a method for them to get a feel for the candidate and assess suitability. You will be asked about your motivation for joining and they will examine your knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of the Air Corps and of each aircraft. There will be a technical aspect of the interview and you would be well advised to learn about the principles of flight and the relavent theories as well as knowing how piston and turbine engines work and be able to demonstrate this knowledge.

The final interview is far more formal and it is a competance based interview. The required competencies are listed or at least should be in the applicant booklet. The interview panel will consist of a minimum of five which each member focusing on a specific area. You would be well advised to have a minimum of two good individual examples of how you demonstrated these qualities in real world situations.

Ultimately, you will need to demonstrate superior ambition, determination and knowledge than the other candidates. Using unique examples aid you here. Avoid the cliches of 'sports team captain' etc as it will have been heard many times before.

From looking at flickr, out of the last three Air Corps classes there has been only 3 non graduates with the other 8 being graduates. On the surface it would appear that they seek older candidates with more life experience which obviously lends itself to gaining max points in the interview, along with the obvious 10% bonus in the final interview.

Given your age you will need to demonstrate an ability to work in a team and show individual leadership qualities. You can use examples from school, work, local community activities, personal goals you have achieved. For example if you have completed the Gasice award, completed volunteer work, carried out maintenance on your own car or household machinery.

I hope this is of some help for you. If you have anything specific please ask and I'll offer any assistance I can.

Given that this is your first application. Get your fitness in order. Start practicing psychometric tests. Presumably you havent had much interview experience so start practicing how you would answer questions. This can be done looking in the mirror or have a family member ask and give feedback.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 itsmerob

Negative_G wrote: »
    Hi there,

To the best of my knowledge the format of the selection process is roughly;
    1. Fitness test
    2. Psychometric exams/prelim interview
    3. Final interview/psychologist interview and motor skills test
    4. Medical

The preliminary interview is generally a panel of 2/3 officers. It is semi formal and is more a method for them to get a feel for the candidate and assess suitability. You will be asked about your motivation for joining and they will examine your knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of the Air Corps and of each aircraft. There will be a technical aspect of the interview and you would be well advised to learn about the principles of flight and the relavent theories as well as knowing how piston and turbine engines work and be able to demonstrate this knowledge.

The final interview is far more formal and it is a competance based interview. The required competencies are listed or at least should be in the applicant booklet. The interview panel will consist of a minimum of five which each member focusing on a specific area. You would be well advised to have a minimum of two good individual examples of how you demonstrated these qualities in real world situations.

Ultimately, you will need to demonstrate superior ambition, determination and knowledge than the other candidates. Using unique examples aid you here. Avoid the cliches of 'sports team captain' etc as it will have been heard many times before.

From looking at flickr, out of the last three Air Corps classes there has been only 3 non graduates with the other 8 being graduates. On the surface it would appear that they seek older candidates with more life experience which obviously lends itself to gaining max points in the interview, along with the obvious 10% bonus in the final interview.

Given your age you will need to demonstrate an ability to work in a team and show individual leadership qualities. You can use examples from school, work, local community activities, personal goals you have achieved. For example if you have completed the Gasice award, completed volunteer work, carried out maintenance on your own car or household machinery.

I hope this is of some help for you. If you have anything specific please ask and I'll offer any assistance I can.

Given that this is your first application. Get your fitness in order. Start practicing psychometric tests. Presumably you havent had much interview experience so start practicing how you would answer questions. This can be done looking in the mirror or have a family member ask and give feedback.

Best of luck.

Thank you very much, wasn't too sure whether or not i would have needed to know about how engines work etc, I'll become acquainted with all that technical info. Thanks for the detail!

Advertisement