Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lock Nuts

Options
  • 02-05-2015 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi There, I am in a spot of bother. The locking nuts on three of the four alloys on my Volvo s60 are woren down. The volvo garage tried without luck to remove all three. They managed one. I have been quoted EUR 970 inc VAT which includes labour by them to get them removed.

Is there a more cost effective way of getting them off? Anyone out there want to quote a cheaper price?

Thanks, M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 grimmys

Hi you can buy a lock nut removal set in the motor factors for about 40 or 50 euros and do it yourself its not that difficult hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

grimmys wrote: »
    Hi you can buy a lock nut removal set in the motor factors for about 40 or 50 euros and do it yourself its not that difficult hope this helps

Yep, I'll concur with that. I was having severe difficulty locating the bit for my MR2 locknuts (which of course I should have checked when I was buying the car). Went into one particular motor factors and he said that worst case scenario he could sell me a tool that would break the locknuts and allow me to remove them. He mentioned a price of circa €40-50 as I recall. He said he was actually mindful of who he'd sell the tool to but would have being happy to sell it to me plus the car was outside.

In the end managed to track down the bit I needed but point is you can get such a tool...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Halfords sell removal kits: http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/tools-diy/tools-tool-kits/laser-locking-wheel-nut-remover

I have no idea if these work though. Has anyone tried these?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Get 3 old socket heads and get someone to weld them onto the locknuts. Then just screw them off like normal. Then throw locknuts as far away as possible!! :D

Worked for me in the past, and worked for a friend stuck on the M18 with a puncture just a few hours ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

The volvo will have a free spinning outer sleeve if they are original.

A hammer and chisel should be able to remove them though.

Make sure it's not too sharp though as it'll just cut chunks out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭cletus

Stoolbend wrote: »
    The volvo will have a free spinning outer sleeve if they are original.

A hammer and chisel should be able to remove them though.

Make sure it's not too sharp though as it'll just cut chunks out of them.

If you're going this route, a cold steel chisel is your best bet

Advertisement