Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily rate for a child minder?

Options
  • 02-05-2015 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all
    Does anyone know what the daily rate is for an experienced childminder/nanny? I'm looking for someone to mind a 7 month old 3 days a week in our own home in south Dublin area. I hear prices vary but have yet to hear a price!
    Thanks for any info!!
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

If it's in your own home you would have to pay minimum wage at the least and you'd also have to pay PRSI etc on top of that as you are effectively an employer. Having had my children minded both in my own home and in someone else's, I far prefer bringing them to someone else (my current childminder). The costs really add up having them in your home as apart from paying them, you also have the cost of heating/electricity during the day and then your food bill will be significantly higher. The girl I had coming to our house ate biscuits and chocolate constantly. The childminder I currently drop my two to provides most of the food (I choose to send in my younger child's dinners), charges me less and I come home to a clean house after I collect them.

I know there are pros and cons to both scenarios but it will cost you a lot to have someone come to your house especially when you only have one child.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 miryan

Thanks very much for the reply on that Bagheera, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm currently looking into this and the rate is from €10-€15 per hour, plus the hassle of organising tax and PRSI. I have my children in a minder's home at the moment and it works out much cheaper, but there are pros to having someone come to your home.

Thanks for the response on that Lazygal, yes I'm leaning towards the minder's home at this point (for financial reasons!)
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

miryan wrote: »
    Thanks for the response on that Lazygal, yes I'm leaning towards the minder's home at this point (for financial reasons!)
    Cheers

I pay €12 per hour for 2 children in my own home. I've heard the normal rate for 1 child in the minders home is about €5 per hour.

• Advertisement

Cheers Silgo1 for the response!

Advertisement