Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bringing dog to uk?

• 02-05-2015 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Im thinking about leaving for the uk in the next 12 months. Would it be possible to bring a rottweiler with me ?

If I cant bring him then im not going

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Yes, you can take a rottweiler over, and in fact he will be more accepted there, he won't be on any list, so won't need to be muzzled etc.

Get him passported, rabies vacced etc at least 3 weeks before you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

muddypaws wrote: »
    Yes, you can take a rottweiler over, and in fact he will be more accepted there, he won't be on any list, so won't need to be muzzled etc.

Get him passported, rabies vacced etc at least 3 weeks before you go.

Thanks it doesnt seem like too much hassle anyway. Id probably come home every 2nd weekend tho and I assume that would b a problem bringin him home and back over all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

There shouldn't a problem taking him back and over, the rabies is usually valid for 3 years (depends on what brand is your vet using, so better check with him/her) and the passport is for the pet's lifetime, so you should be fine. Would you be driving and taking a ferry or flying?

ACD wrote: »
    There shouldn't a problem taking him back and over, the rabies is usually valid for 3 years (depends on what brand is your vet using, so better check with him/her) and the passport is for the pet's lifetime, so you should be fine. Would you be driving and taking a ferry or flying?

Im not too sure yet tbh I have nothing planned yet. I dont think id bring a car tho so most likely id be flying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Flying with him would be a hassle, but the ferry is no problem at all, if you have a crate in the car/van, he can stay in that for the crossing, or you can put him in one of the on board kennels.

If you are going to be coming home so frequently though, I'd suggest you find a really good kennel or home boarder near you and put him in there. Alternatively, if your house sharing (and manage to find a house that will accept a dog) then your housemates might look after him each weekend you're away. I lived in London for years and was in a houseshare for a while with 2 dogs, wasn't an issue with the landlord.

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    Flying with him would be a hassle, but the ferry is no problem at all, if you have a crate in the car/van, he can stay in that for the crossing, or you can put him one of the on board ferries.

If you are going to be coming home so frequently though, I'd suggest you find a really good kennel or home boarder near you and put him in there. Alternatively, if your house sharing (and manage to find a house that will accept a dog) then your housemates might look after him each weekend you're away. I lived in London for years and was in a houseshare for a while with 2 dogs, wasn't an issue with the landlord.

kind of scared to drive in england tho ive no city driving experience really :O

But ya I taught flying would be a bit of hassle alright. I have plenty time to sort it all out anyway

Advertisement