Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for bringing old tack back to life

Options
  • 02-05-2015 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

I bought a second hand saddle recently, and it looks like it sat in the back of a shed unloved and unused for a few years. I've been cleaning and oiling it regularly to get it back to its former glory, but it is still drinking the oil every time I put it on. If I start in one corner of a panel that will be bone dry by the time I finish the panel. I'm just using glycerine soap and vegetable oil at the moment on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions of products to use or methods to try to help speed the process up? I have it to where I can ride in it and I don't think it will actually crack (I hope anyway!) but its still stiff and the combination of stiff leathers, straps etc. and a slightly scatty mare makes adjusting anything while on board difficult!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Neatsfoot oil?

Massage it into the leather after riding. I leave it at least overnight before riding on it again.

I use it about once a week on a newish saddle and bridle. Dunno how long it would take to see any benefits on older leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

You're better off with a good leather food/conditioner I think as opposed to oil, sounds like it needs a good feeding :) I'd suggest something like the Stubben Hamanol Leather Conditioner and let it soak in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

A second vote for Neatsfoot oil here. It's brilliant at softening old leather and rehtdrating it. It can make the leather appear dull, so a saddle soap with glycerine will help shine it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Im actually working on 2 Brooks Leather Bike Saddles( Think Rolls Royce ) that are on 1952 frames that have sat in a shed since 1978.
    I cleaned them with Stubben Soap. Soaked them for a week in Neatsfoot( they looked dry within the hour of coming out) ? Now they are getting Goose Grease everyday this week and have really softened up.

Goose Grease has been used on Leather the world over for Centuries. (Sometimes old is best);-)
    Neatsfoot also been around a long time.

Time and Nourishment and you will get it back to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Kocholine! Its brilliant. Thicker than neatsfoot oil.
    Link http://www.carrdaymartin.co.uk/product/ko-cho-lineleather-dressing/
    A thick grease to protect and revive saddlery leather
    Description

A unique thick, pink grease which protects leather from mould and mildew when in storage. Ko-Cho-Line will not rot stitching and can be used on metal to prevent rusting. This specially formulated conditioner can also be used to renovate and revive tired saddlery.

Application

Apply a generous layer to both sides of clean, dry leather prior to storage. For general use, apply to clean leather and leave for 12 hours. Wipe away any dressing that remains. Not suitable for aniline or untreated leather, suede or nubuck. Test on a hidden area before use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

fits wrote: »
    Kocholine! Its brilliant. Thicker than neatsfoot oil.
    Link http://www.carrdaymartin.co.uk/product/ko-cho-lineleather-dressing/

I'd fotgotten about kocholine. It really is fantastic. A bit messy, but brilliant for the tack (and your hands, too ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Brilliant, thanks guys! will try and get my hands on some Kocholine and see what happens! (although I was unceremoniously dumped out of the saddle this evening so having second thoughts about anything remotely slippy!! ;))

The next question is does anyone have any ideas for completely seized bars and D rings that are un-moveable at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

TG1 wrote: »
    Brilliant, thanks guys! will try and get my hands on some Kocholine and see what happens! (although I was unceremoniously dumped out of the saddle this evening so having second thoughts about anything remotely slippy!! ;))

The next question is does anyone have any ideas for completely seized bars and D rings that are un-moveable at the moment?

WD40. It will not damage the leather. Spray it on as often as you can for a few days . D rings should move with a bit of pressure. Bars may need a good tap with a hammer. Shoeing hammer being the best size ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Normally i;d swear by effax as its brilliant stuff however I bought this the other week as I ran out of effax and the shop didnt have any. This stuff is unreal - its brought a noseband I was going to throw out back to life!

https://www.triequestrian.ie/cms/cms.jsp?menu_id=24043&prodref=700-0021-01&proddesc=SCHOCKEM%C3%96HLE-Leather-balm-500ml&category=pg_HORSE+174717&catdesc=Horse-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    You're better off with a good leather food/conditioner I think as opposed to oil, sounds like it needs a good feeding :)

Eh?
    Neatsfoot oil is a leather conditioner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Valentina wrote: »
    Eh?
    Neatsfoot oil is a leather conditioner.

No it's not. Both prevent the leather drying out but a conditioner/food seals the leather, which oil does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

I always use the Stubben Hamanol, then when that has soaked in, I use the Albion Leather Balm which gives a shine when buffed out. :)

Advertisement