Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No ID for my 18th?

• 02-05-2015 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi! It was my 18th birthday on the 1st, but my party isn't until the 16th for reasons. I've sent off for the Garda Age Card as a form of ID but I'm certain it won't be here in time! I've no passport, or Student ID... Is there anything I can do the night of the 16th when I go out with friends?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

First world problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Hi! It was my 18th birthday on the 1st, but my party isn't until the 16th for reasons. I've sent off for the Garda Age Card as a form of ID but I'm certain it won't be here in time! I've no passport, or Student ID... Is there anything I can do the night of the 16th when I go out with friends?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Be older

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Go to a field and drink like every other teenager does and has done for decades.
    Don't break traditions!!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Have you a learners permit or Driving License?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    First world problems.

Well obviously?

Unless you're posting from a hut in deepest Africa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Drink Sprite or 7UP. Turning 18 doesn't have to be about alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Go to MacD's for a couple of Chocoalate Milkshakes.

Splash out and "go large".

• Registered Users Posts: 9 darraghjegan

Unfortunately not, since you need either a Garda Age Card or passport to do the theory test!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Where are you going?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Nothing I hate more than seeing bloody youds in town

At least someone here isn't full of unhelpful sarcasm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

If you're going to the one venue, you could always try make an appointment with the manager and bring your birth cert and see if they could make arrangements with the bouncers when you give your name at the door? Obviously doesn't cover for the fact that some/all of your friends could be carded, but it's worth a shot! It's your best bet really - other than that all you can do is wear about 11 badges and a huge sash so everyone knows it's your birthday :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Where exactly are you going?
    If it's just for a pint and you have a family member/older friend who's a local in a pub, the owner might take their word for it. Other than that you could just try to get in. Not all places will ask for ID. It depends on the place/how old you look, if you're in a group, etc.

That's great for you but I really don't care and it doesn't contribute in any way to this conversation.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    If you're going to the one venue, you could always try make an appointment with the manager and bring your birth cert and see if they could make arrangements with the bouncers when you give your name at the door? Obviously doesn't cover for the fact that some/all of your friends could be carded, but it's worth a shot! It's your best bet really - other than that all you can do is wear about 11 badges and a huge sash so everyone knows it's your birthday :p

I'm the last one to turn 18 so they'd have no problem anyway! Yeah, I was going to try that, it's worked in the past for my friends

Well obviously?

Unless you're posting from a hut in deepest Africa?
    http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l486/meodenchina/InternetCat_zpsf908683e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

RayM wrote: »

It doesn't, but it's the way I want to celebrate it. :)

Town's crazy this weekend, and next weekend everyone has communions to go to. And then weekdays everyone is in college! The party is mostly for family members and I'll be going out with my friends after a small while spent with the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    If you're going to the one venue, you could always try make an appointment with the manager and bring your birth cert and see if they could make arrangements with the bouncers when you give your name at the door?

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Has worked in the past for someone I know.

At least someone here isn't full of unhelpful sarcasm...

Everyone hates 18 year olds in town, even with your id you probably won't be allowed in to 90% of places

RayM wrote: »

Will ya stop.

Of course it is. So is Fridays and Saturdays.

Everyone hates 18 year olds in town, even with your id you probably won't be allowed in to 90% of places

I'm fairly sure I have no reason to be hated considering you're basing your discrimination on a stigma that's been placed on youth.

I'm fairly sure I have no reason to be hated considering you're basing your discrimination on a stigma that's been placed on youth.
    Bouncers don't have the time to check your personality. They'll see a bunch of 18 year olds rocking up to the joint and refuse access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Has worked in the past for someone I know.

It's what I did for my own 18th, as the day fell on a Saturday, which was the only day to go out in my town. I stuck to the one place that catered for us young'uns, and went with my mother (who would have been well-known by the owner of the disco bar) with my birth cert, and there were no issues. The initiative to go through that much effort to get into a bar is not usually wasted and it means the bouncers and manager will know you for again if you ever want to go back out in the meantime and are still waiting on an ID. For what it's worth though, you might want to look into getting the passport - a lot of establishments will not accept an Age Card, including offies! I had my Age Card handed back to me at a nightclub in Louth about 2 years ago, because I simply couldn't have been 25, it was obviously a fake, my passport was out of date (with the same DOB on it :rolleyes: ) and my pleas were disregarded! I never have any trouble with the passport now that it's renewed, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Go in with a lady friend, reduces your risk of being ID'ed by at least 75%. This has been statistically proven in the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

How did you get your application for the age card approved without forms of ID? Anyway it should arrive by the 16th. Two weeks would be the standard, I got mine in about ten days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

why are you trying to act the big shot?

a bag o'cans should be sufficient to mark the occasion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

Advertisement