Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sacred Cows (people no one dares criticise)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Women playing sport....there I have said it. ...:D

Women's sport is rubbish. I know we all love Katy Taylor but come on- it's crap.

Has anyone been to a ladies football GAA match? It's so bad its entertaining and my sister has an All Ireland.

Guess you've never seen Women's Beach Volleyball?
    Now that's what you call sporting legends.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Adi Roche, saw her wearing a fur coat in Dublin once. That's all you need to know about Irish charities.
    Well it could have been a fake fur. She's done far, far more for the children of Chernobyl than you or I have ever done. It's pretty bizarre logic to conflate the wearing of a fur (possibly fake) coat by one charity representative, with Irish charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Women playing sport....there I have said it. ...:D

Women's sport is rubbish. I know we all love Katy Taylor but come on- it's crap.

Has anyone been to a ladies football GAA match? It's so bad its entertaining and my sister has an All Ireland.

I like watching their tennis, they have better rallies more often because they don't hit as hard. Women's golf can be interesting also, however things like women's soccer, GAA no thanks. I've umpired camoige games at my club and their level is absolutely abysmal, 80% ground hurling, most seem to struggle to rise the ball at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

any **** that dies. A good example is that one who died from pills in dublin the other month, she was on drugs thats the risk, no need for the big she was an angel outcry imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

any **** that dies. A good example is that one who died from pills in dublin the other month, she was on drugs thats the risk, no need for the big she was an angel outcry imo

Taking a few pills doesn't make you a bad person.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Taking a few pills doesn't make you a bad person.

hardly the perfect angel she was made out to be, why was it even covered in the news anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭SummerSummit

I like watching their tennis, they have better rallies more often because they don't hit as hard.

It turns my stomach hearing them grunt like that. Gross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

John F Kennedy (specifically in Ireland) was(is) revered in Ireland due to him being Irish and "Catholic". He was a hipocrite and exacerbated cold war tensions.Before he helped initiate the Cuban embargo, he made damn sure he'd get 1,200 boxes of Cuban cigars for himself too.

He really did treat himself well, even if it meant sacrificing his family by having extramarital affairs with other women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

That's a horrible. insensitive and juvenile comment. Shame on you.

John F Kennedy (specifically in Ireland) was(is) revered in Ireland due to him being Irish and "Catholic". He was a hipocrite and exasperated cold war tensions.Before he helped initiate the Cuban embargo, he made damn sure he'd get 1,200 boxes of Cuban cigars for himself too.

He really did treat himself well, even if it meant sacrificing his family by having extramarital affairs with other women.

Yes they were all very frustrated by the whole thing

• Advertisement

LorMal wrote: »
    how is it

Exacerbated*

LorMal wrote:
    Yes they were all very frustrated by the whole thing

Thanks for noticing this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

No it's not. The poster is dead right. Little sweet innocent Mary was off popping pills in some shady nightclub and paid the ultimate price for gambling- stupid yes- sympathy- no.

how is it

The fact that you have to ask says it all

The fact that you have to ask says it all

Go on...enlighten us....what does it say?:rolleyes:

No it's not. The poster is dead right. Little sweet innocent Mary was off popping pills in some shady nightclub and paid the ultimate price for gambling- stupid yes- sympathy- no.

You would appear to be bitter about something. There is really no need to target your bitterness at an 18 year old girl who recently died in tragic circumstances.

You would appear to be bitter about something. There is really no need to target your bitterness at an 18 year old girl who recently died in tragic circumstances.

LOL....bitter? Do you now the meaning of the word? or is that just the amateur pop psychologist in you.

Tragic was the 400+ people that drowned in China during the week.

Immature girl dies from popping pills in a nightclub. Shameful waste of a young life-sure but certainly not tragic. It was stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yes, clearly taking pills that are normally not fatal that end up killing you in a nightclub means you deserve death.

Whats "shady" about the nightclub? 'Young people, getting up to sex n drugs'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

LOL....bitter? Do you now the meaning of the word? or is that just the amateur pop psychologist in you.

Tragic was the 400+ people that drowned in China during the week.

Immature girl dies from popping pills in a nightclub. Shameful waste of a young life-sure but certainly not tragic. It was stupid.

Thanks for that partyguinness.........

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Thanks for that partyguinness.........

Ermmmm.....no problem mikom..:confused:

Nodin wrote: »
    Yes, clearly taking pills that are normally not fatal that end up killing you in a nightclub means you deserve death.

Whats "shady" about the nightclub? 'Young people, getting up to sex n drugs'?

'deserve death'- I didnt say that so kindly refrain from putting words in my mouth.

I used the word 'gambled' which is what you are doing when you accept and take pills from untrusted sources on a night out. Unfortunately, the house won this time. Sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Winston Churchill in my experience. The man is hailed as a national hero in the uk and saviour of a nation. The man sent thousands to their death with stupid, ill-thought tactics and ignorance as well as nearly financially ruining Britain. A few words of bravado and he's a hero forever more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bridge93 wrote: »
    A few words of bravado and he's a hero forever more.

drunken bravado

exactly what you need at the wheel taking on the Third Reich murder machine

drunken bravado

exactly what you need at the wheel taking on the Third Reich murder machine

And then turned a blind eye to the atrocities against the German civilian population in the 6 months after WWII.

He was a rubbish politician and his career was marked with failures and that should have been that until WWII.

I think you can add any British leader (military or civilian) during WWI or WWII- the British media are remarkably silent when it comes to criticizing it leaders during WWI. Prefers to hide behind a misty eyed wall of glorious 'sacrifice' covered with Poppies- a lot easier...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

And then turned a blind eye to the atrocities against the German civilian population in the 6 months after WWII.

He was a rubbish politician and his career was marked with failures and that should have been that until WWII.

I think you can add any British leader (military or civilian) during WWI or WWII- the British media are remarkably silent when it comes to criticizing it leaders during WWI. Prefers to hide behind a misty eyed wall of glorious 'sacrifice' covered with Poppies- a lot easier...:rolleyes:

Have been watching the Aussie drama 'Gallipoli' on RTE and the attitude of those in charge is shocking, scary and disgusting in equal amounts. They just didn't care about the common soldier and didn't have the balls to go in themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The media aren't all dewy eyed. Well, maybe the telegraph and mail. The rest are generally ok.
    Remember the Tories claiming that it was wrong that peoples views of WW1 were clouded by Blackadder :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

He surely did. Was called out for it on here though, if I recall. Nothing gets past us boardsies. :D

Sad case of exploitation really. Sad in many other ways, obviously. He did a lot of great work raising money and that was what should have been focused on. Totally RTE's fault IMO, he was too young to fully understand the effects of depression, nevermind be given the medium to talk about it to thousands of people. Someone involved in production should have stepped up and prevented it.

I remember being in Kerry at the time and tentatively criticising what he said and how it was over simplistic of suicide/depression. You'd swear I had two heads for daring to say this heresy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Don't know if Ming Flanagan has been mentioned but I've grown to a stage where I can't stand him. I find him a self serving, anti everything conspiracy theorist. Dismal attendance at the EU parliament, coupled with his no effort or support for the Marriage Equality referendum just confirms the above.
    Actually trust him much less than "normal" politicians because at least you know what you might be getting with them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Have been watching the Aussie drama 'Gallipoli' on RTE and the attitude of those in charge is shocking, scary and disgusting in equal amounts. They just didn't care about the common soldier and didn't have the balls to go in themselves.

Very very true. Gallipoli was a horrible battle and the attitude of those in control did not care who would die or how many. We have all this rememberance day stuff and the like but we are seldom told of the many people in the UK who had a loved one return from these wars to live out his days either maimed, blinded, deaf or (if not any of these) depresssed, shell shocked and traumatised by what they saw. Many a family was ruined due to this and that is never reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Churchill suits propaganda of today and recent times. The fact that he was deeply unpopular in the UK at the time is forgotten. Churchill was as I said earlier very much a product of his times and supported colonialism and dealing with preemptive threats. Like Hitler, Churchill clearly suffered from a depression condition and again like Hitler, was basically a useless leader hiding behind a propaganda machine in both cases designed to cover up their shortcomings.

When one has poor leadership, that's when major wars break out. Hitler was clearly bipolar and when in the manic state, thought he could take over anywhere with little effort. That and the fact that he had wellknown gangsters like Goering in his regime allowed the war to begin. Churchill seemed to be the same makeup as Hitler (artistic, depressive) with a penchant for booze thrown in as well. He brought the UK into a war it may never even have needed to be in. We will never know how things would have panned out but my prediction would be a war between Germany and Russia only with Stalin coming out on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

*reads post...twitches*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The only one I've really agreed with so far is Mother Teresa, who is considered a saint in Ireland and anyone pointing out her horrible suffering fetish and low sanitary standards, the charitable donations that were sent to the Vatican bank instead of being spent of basic medical supplies, and her forced baptisms of the dying is quickly shouted down.

yep, she wouldn't help those street children unless they converted to Catholicism, some christian attitude that is

she was a demented old bint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Daniel and Majella O'Donnell
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭captainfrost

Marthin Luther King JR

• Advertisement

Churchill suits propaganda of today and recent times. The fact that he was deeply unpopular in the UK at the time is forgotten. Churchill was as I said earlier very much a product of his times and supported colonialism and dealing with preemptive threats. Like Hitler, Churchill clearly suffered from a depression condition and again like Hitler, was basically a useless leader hiding behind a propaganda machine in both cases designed to cover up their shortcomings.

When one has poor leadership, that's when major wars break out. Hitler was clearly bipolar and when in the manic state, thought he could take over anywhere with little effort. That and the fact that he had wellknown gangsters like Goering in his regime allowed the war to begin. Churchill seemed to be the same makeup as Hitler (artistic, depressive) with a penchant for booze thrown in as well. He brought the UK into a war it may never even have needed to be in. We will never know how things would have panned out but my prediction would be a war between Germany and Russia only with Stalin coming out on top.

This is just so wrong, I find it difficult to even argue against. Churchill was not 'deeply unpopular' during WW2. He lost the election after the war because people saw him as yesterday's man and wanted more from the new emerging society, such as an NHS. But he was undoubtedly seen as a hero.
    Churchill did not 'bring the UK into a war'! Chamberlain declared war on Germany.
    You need to read up on this stuff if you are going to present such trenchant arguments.

More nonsense. How on earth can you say the media are silent on the carnage of WW1? Secondly, there was much sacrifice in both wars - by Irish men as well as British and the are rightly commemorated.
    And Churchill was a poor military strategist (perhaps) but he was a brilliant politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Mo Farah :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Aidric wrote: »
    Mo Farah :cool:

The media is waiting with bated breath to get their teeth into Mo. Tabloids love a good hero to zero scandal, mega $$.

Hopefully nothing of the sort emerges and any doubts hanging over him can be quashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The media is waiting with bated breath to get their teeth into Mo. Tabloids love a good hero to zero scandal, mega $$.

Hopefully nothing of the sort emerges and any doubts hanging over him can be quashed.

His defense is pretty tenuous and his coach is up to his eyes in suspicion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Reddit took down a joke by some guy who did a little parody picture calling himself 'trans-financial'.

cant be questioned.

sacred cow.

http://imgur.com/gallery/nRcupr5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Saw an article in the Guardian (I think) where a journalist tried to match Churchill's daily intake of alcohol. He was completely pissed by about 11am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Jon Stewart's monologue on the Charleston church shooting was all over my Facebook feed like a rash today. Idiotic comments like "You need to hear Jon Stewart's take on the Charleston shooting".

No. No I don't.

I listened to it, and there wasn't a single insight Stewart had or statement he made that anyone with two brain cells to rub together wouldn't have figured out on their own.

Self-congratulatory, back-slapping horseshit from people who think sharing the opinions of a multi-millionaire comedian makes them look compassionate or intellectual.

Yet, point this out, and people feign outrage. Complete Sacred Cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Jon Stewart's monologue on the Charleston church shooting was all over my Facebook feed like a rash today. Idiotic comments like "You need to hear Jon Stewart's take on the Charleston shooting".

No. No I don't.

I listened to it, and there wasn't a single insight Stewart had or statement he made that anyone with two brain cells to rub together wouldn't have figured out on their own.

Self-congratulatory, back-slapping horseshit from people who think sharing the opinions of a multi-millionaire comedian makes them look compassionate or intellectual.

I think there's a general sacred cow about the notion that "everything is ****ed".

It's not really. The world is the best it's ever been (from humanity's perspective, at any rate).

In some senses, it's a good thing. We don't want to rest on our laurels and stagnate, but at the same time, we need to recognise that 80 years ago, half the US would be jumping for joy at such news of killing a load of black people (slight hyperbole but you get the idea).

People need to keep pushing for things to improve, but it can get obnoxious when they act like they're not already improving virtually across the board in every metric in every country in the world (allowing for ups and downs in the relative short term, like ISIS popping up and all that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Gbear wrote: »
    I think there's a general sacred cow about the notion that "everything is ****ed".

It's not really. The world is the best it's ever been (from humanity's perspective, at any rate).

In some senses, it's a good thing. We don't want to rest on our laurels and stagnate, but at the same time, we need to recognise that 80 years ago, half the US would be jumping for joy at such news of killing a load of black people (slight hyperbole but you get the idea).

People need to keep pushing for things to improve, but it can get obnoxious when they act like they're not already improving virtually across the board in every metric in every country in the world (allowing for ups and downs in the relative short term, like ISIS popping up and all that).

Couldn't agree more.

As Penn Jillette once said, "...two things have been true throughout history.

One, the world is always getting better.

And two, people always think it's getting worse".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

homosexuals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

No. No I don't.

I thought something similar about it.
    Seemed like a case of bandwagon hopping.

Which is another thing, sht just trends and snowballs these days, everyone just fvcking hops on board because everyone else has hopped on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Dickie10 wrote: »
    homosexuals

What fair criticism of homosexuals as a group do you have that you feel you're not allowed to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

lizzyman wrote: »
    Saw an article in the Guardian (I think) where a journalist tried to match Churchill's daily intake of alcohol. He was completely pissed by about 11am.

He was a serious boozer alright. Here's the article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11371641/The-day-I-tried-to-match-Churchill-drink-for-drink.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Kev W wrote: »
    What fair criticism of homosexuals as a group do you have that you feel you're not allowed to make?
    Common sense says it's unnatural but of course you can't say this anymore because we're all equal now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement