Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sacred Cows (people no one dares criticise)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Michael Collins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

deseil wrote: »
    Nelson Mandela

That reminds me of something the comedian Jerry Sadowitz once said. Back in the 1980s, when the stand-up comedy circuit was very 'right-on', another comedian dared him to slag Nelson Mandela off. So he walked on stage and began his routine by saying: "Nelson Mandela, what a cunt."

The next night, he thought of a punchline: "You lend some people a fiver and you never hear from them again."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

blackcard wrote: »
    Gene Kerrigan
    Shane Ross
    Eddie Hobbs
    I met Eddie snobbs but who are the other two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

blackcard wrote: »
    Gene Kerrigan
    Shane Ross
    Eddie Hobbs
    Eddie Hobbs gets slated. Haven't noticed any real adulation for Shane Ross or Gene Kerrigan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

I wonder will this thread end up being reams and reams of people who are constantly criticised? Yes. Yes I think it will.

It already has.
    I think the OP means individuals who are fawned over and it seems totally against the grain to criticise them.

I did mean that, but people just like to bitch about the same tired topics and people over again. I thought this thread might be a chance for some originality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Yeah, I can't say I agree with the disabilities one.

As somebody who works with children and adults who have physical and cognitive difficulties, they all differ hugely in terms of personality and to say "they" as a group, can be horrible people is to make a completely unfair sweeping generalisation...

Then again, that is the point of the thread. However, maybe you should consider a change of career if somebody who has had to endure physical or mental pain and anguish every day of their life, who is in your care, for money, strikes you as a real c*nt. Just a thought.

In fairness, Gene Kerrigan's tendency to 'nail it' every week in the Sunday Independent has made him a bit of a sacred cow. Although I can't think of anything critical to say about him.

Eddie Hobbs, on the other hand, seems like a bit of a bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

Eddie Hobbs gets slated. Haven't noticed any real adulation for Shane Ross or Gene Kerrigan.

Agreed. But they constantly criticise others and have never done anything positive themselves to

RayM wrote: »
    That reminds me of something the comedian Jerry Sadowitz once said. Back in the 1980s, when the stand-up comedy circuit was very 'right-on', another comedian dared him to slag Nelson Mandela off. So he walked on stage and began his routine by saying: "Nelson Mandela, what a cunt."

The next night, he thought of a punchline: "You lend some people a fiver and you never hear from them again."

How is that a punchline? A punchline complements a feed line, creating a joke.

See this example, from Les Dawson.

Feed line: "There is a remote tribe that worships the number zero."

+ Punchline: "Is nothing sacred?"

= Joke

Sadowitz's line is not a punchline. It's just a sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Scumbags...

In the eyes of easily swayed judges; "Poor Rashers never stood a chance in life, coming as he did from a long line of scumbags who forcefully inducted him against his will into the fraternity of the scumbag, none of his crimes have been his fault. Twenty minutes community service you loveable little rascal".

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Have you seen the film?
    Everyone in the Republic of Ireland remembers where they were when they heard that Veronica Guerin had been murdered on the Naas Road.

That was a bit of cringy line in the script

And ignoring threats while you have a young family and sensationalising criminals in the Sunday Independent does not make you a saint. Turned them into celebrities.

Paul Williams writes much the same style and gets slated for the standard of his journalism

The thread is for sacred cows. She got plenty of criticism when she was alive and was called a publicity seeker and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Travellers and muslims and gay people and black people will obviously be included but they're all regularly criticised.

There's at least a couple of posters I've noticed who would hold those groups under "sacred cow" status. I mean criticizing notorious traveller behavior, The Halawa family and the Baltimore riots just doesn't bode well with some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Mary Sue. Seems like everyone loves her but I just don't get the adoration personally. I think she's a bit fake.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mary+Sue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Che Guevara.. was a pretty homophobic guy tbh

He also made overtly racist at times.
    There's an extensive list of racist remarks that are attributable to him on a wiki quote page.
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Che_Guevara.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

Constantly being criticised - the McCanns to the point of being regularly accused, not just suspected of but accused, of murder, with zero concrete evidence.

In your opinion.

The way murak was accused by one of the friends of the mccanns was disgusting.

And before you even start, it's a class thing. If the McCanns were chavs and not doctors with friends in very high places, the outcome would be very different. Leaving the kids at home to go drinking.

• Advertisement

How is that a punchline? A punchline complements a feed line, creating a joke.

See this example, from Les Dawson.

Feed line: "There is a remote tribe that worships the number zero."

+ Punchline: "Is nothing sacred?"

= Joke

Sadowitz's line is not a punchline. It's just a sentence.

I didn't say it was a good punchline. In this case, it adds a pretext to the feed line: The pretext being that Sadowitz had lent Mandela a fiver, and then never saw him again (because he was imprisoned in 1962, and hadn't been released yet). The joke falls down on two scores though - firstly, it's highly unlikely that Sadowitz wouldn't have known that the high-profile Mandela had been imprisoned and therefore unable to repay the small debt. Secondly, Sadowitz was only one-year-old in 1962 and therefore wouldn't have had either the financial means or the intellectual capacity to lend a South African resistance leader a fiver.

I hope this clears things up.

microsim wrote: »
    In your opinion.

The way murak was accused by one of the friends of the mccanns was disgusting.

And before you even start, it's a class thing. If the McCanns were chavs and not doctors with friends in very high places, the outcome would be very different. Leaving the kids at home to go drinking.
    "Before I even start"... what?
    Anyway, there isn't sufficient evidence to just decide the McCanns murdered their daughter; this is fact, my opinion doesn't even come into it.
    I'm not saying people can't *suspect* them (I can see where people are coming from) but suspicion is not enough to make something fact.
    Yes the Robert Murat case was disgusting - no arguments from me there.
    I agree with you about the class angle and I think it was appalling of them to leave the children without a babysitter - I am not saying the McCanns are angels.
    I am just saying though that they're not sacred cows - they may be defended a lot but they are also slated a lot. A sacred cow is someone or something that is virtually never criticised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

deseil wrote: »
    Nelson Mandela

Good one,The man was a monster no matter how its sugar coated,FFS He went to jail and then presided over one of the most corrupt states known to man,He allowed social corruption business corruption and stripped the whites and blacks of their wealth while rewarding big american business and failing to combat hate killings and the general murder rate. Instead of trying to tackle the issue of rape he allowed school yard abortion the man was an animal. He was either that or grossly incompetent.

..........He'd give Enda Kenny a run for his money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Trent.

His gun makes a funny noise and everybody falls about laughing, what's that about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Boards.ie mods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Have you seen the film?

That was a bit of cringy line in the script

And ignoring threats while you have a young family and sensationalising criminals in the Sunday Independent does not make you a saint. Turned them into celebrities.

Paul Williams writes much the same style and gets slated for the standard of his journalism

The thread is for sacred cows. She got plenty of criticism when she was alive and was called a publicity seeker and worse.

Everyone in the Republic of Ireland remembers where they were when they heard that Veronica Guerin had been murdered on the Naas Road.

That's unusual considering most people in Ireland didn't have a clue who she was until she was murdered, unless you were one of those people that bought that sh1t rag of a Sunday world every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Kids with a disability

Or worse, parents of kids with a disability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Trent.

His gun makes a funny noise and everybody falls about laughing, what's that about?

Don't start on Trent or we'll send FaceKicker after you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Sadowitz made that joke about Terry Waite not Mandela...

Trent.

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Boards.ie mods

uh oh, nice knowing ya kid

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Sam Kade wrote: »

That's unusual considering most people in Ireland didn't have a clue who she was until she was murdered, unless you were one of those people that bought that sh1t rag of a Sunday world every week.

Ah jaysus this reminds me ... :pac:

It happened during Euro 96' and my 'aul lad went up to the Green isle hotel for pints. He arrived late for the match unaware of the shooting and asks the barman "Did I miss much ? Any good shots on goal ?"

"No .. but there was a few good shots up the road".

The Master wrote: »
    Sadowitz made that joke about Terry Waite not Mandela...

He called Nelson Mandela a 'cunt' and Terry Waite a 'bastard'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

RayM wrote: »
    He called Nelson Mandela a 'cunt' and Terry Waite a 'bastard'.

Indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Trent.

so you admit you're a rereg
    who were you
    are you Her?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Christy Moore

Ordinary singer & songwriter & a most rudimentary guitarist.

Beloved by those up for 'the craic' though, Olé, Olé, Olé, Olé.....

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Ordinary singer & songwriter

Nothing special, nothing grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

Chloris wrote: »
    Yeah, I can't say I agree with the disabilities one.

As somebody who works with children and adults who have physical and cognitive difficulties, they all differ hugely in terms of personality and to say "they" as a group, can be horrible people is to make a completely unfair sweeping generalisation...

Then again, that is the point of the thread. However, maybe you should consider a change of career if somebody who has had to endure physical or mental pain and anguish every day of their life, who is in your care, for money, strikes you as a real c*nt. Just a thought.

Yeah I have a disability. I'm in a wheelchair myself from my spine being broken from a car crash that I was a passenger in. I know all about 'physical pain and anguish', more than I'd wish on my worst enemy, so go easy on the passive agreesiveness.

I still stand by (excuse the pun) my statement that a disproportionate amount of people with disabilities are selfish and self centred. They can't help it, they've had people making excuses for them all their lives so they eventually buy into it and come to expect special treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Completely agree. I work with people with physical and sensory disabilities and find a disproportionate amount to be pricks.

They have been shielded and spoiled all their lives that they now hold a huge belief of self entitlement.

Jayzis. Why not throw out bitter and chippy while you're there. Your attitude towards the people you 'work with' is beyond shìt.

But you're in good company in AH. Where people with disabilities, a group as heterogeneous as the larger population, are the evergreen pariah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Dev

Michelle Smith De Brun.

There was a story about a taxi-driver at the time throwing out a passenger for saying "Well, maybe she's not innocent" and got a load of praise for doing it.

Fuq me, idiocy hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

a disproportionate amount of people with disabilities are selfish and self centred. They can't help it, they've had people making excuses for them all their lives so they eventually buy into it and come to expect special treatment.

Ffs. Catch yourself on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭shaymus27

Gráinne Seoige

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

razorblunt wrote: »
    I thought that poor kid Walsh who lost his battle with cancer got away with some pretty idiotic attitudes towards suicide/depression just before he passed away.

He surely did. Was called out for it on here though, if I recall. Nothing gets past us boardsies. :D

Sad case of exploitation really. Sad in many other ways, obviously. He did a lot of great work raising money and that was what should have been focused on. Totally RTE's fault IMO, he was too young to fully understand the effects of depression, nevermind be given the medium to talk about it to thousands of people. Someone involved in production should have stepped up and prevented it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Ffs. Catch yourself on.

You most likely missed the bit where she told us that she is a wheelchair user and knows more about the subject than most of us can ever dream of?

Jayzis. Why not throw out bitter and chippy while you're there. Your attitude towards the people you 'work with' is beyond shìt.

But you're in good company in AH. Where people with disabilities, a group as heterogeneous as the larger population, are the evergreen pariah.

I have never once seen a post on AH that was ever seriously discrimstory towards persons with a disability. And if you read my previous post, you'll see that I would be fairly alert to it.

Yeah I have a disability. I'm in a wheelchair myself from my spine being broken from a car crash that I was a passenger in. I know all about 'physical pain and anguish', more than I'd wish on my worst enemy, so go easy on the passive agreesiveness.
    Alright, I'll accept in that case that you certainly have more grounds than most to pass judgement.

I still stand by (excuse the pun) my statement that a disproportionate amount of people with disabilities are selfish and self centred. They can't help it, they've had people making excuses for them all their lives so they eventually buy into it and come to expect special treatment.
    I was at a course with some colleagues today and a girl down the back said that a client she works with had a history of going off on the employees. The lady is paralysed, elderly and infirmed but God does she have a mouth on her. I've worked with her and I can kind of understand where the girl was coming from, but any time the lady started getting cantankerous and nasty with me, I'd distract her and throw her off course rather than let myself get messed up in her crankiness. She actually asks for me from the other carers, because she spends way less time being resentful and nasty when I'm around, thus probably enjoying things more as a result.

What I'm saying is, as somebody who doesn't have a physical disability, I don't have her or possibly your insights as to how difficult it is. So I have a lot more patience for somebody who is confined to a wheelchair than some shouty complainy person who can just get up and punch someone in the face and run away in literally any situation.

To get back to the sacred cows, I personally loathe George Hook and everyone who even attempts to defend him. He makes me furious to the point of insanity if I get so much as a whiff of him. I would sh1t on his wife's face just because she's married to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I would sh1t on his wife's face just because she's married to him.

now that is one a hell of a sentence..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

Des Cahill
    Bill O'Herlihy
    Hurricane Fly

Alright, I'll accept in that case that you certainly have more grounds than most to pass judgement.

I was at a course with some colleagues today and a girl down the back said that a client she works with had a history of going off on the employees. The lady is paralysed, elderly and infirmed but God does she have a mouth on her. I've worked with her and I can kind of understand where the girl was coming from, but any time the lady started getting cantankerous and nasty with me, I'd distract her and throw her off course rather than let myself get messed up in her crankiness. She actually asks for me from the other carers, because she spends way less time being resentful and nasty when I'm around, thus probably enjoying things more as a result.

What I'm saying is, as somebody who doesn't have a physical disability, I don't have her or possibly your insights as to how difficult it is. So I have a lot more patience for somebody who is confined to a wheelchair than some shouty complainy person who can just get up and punch someone in the face and run away in literally any situation.

I know what you're saying and perhaps I'm harder on people with disabilities, especially physical ones like myself because I try so hard to be independent, so hard to be treated the same as everyone else that when I see something 'milking' their disability for something and getting snotty if everything doesn't go their way, it's drives me mad!

I was recently at a convention for wheelchair users. All ages, all shapes and sizes, all different causes of them being wheelchair users. The self entitlement that some of them had was unreal. It's genuinely shocked me. I think that older people who have had a disability for years are probably the worse. I think this is because they had to fight for everything all along, PA hours, accessibility, independent living, that now they have it they can't get out of the habit and keep fighting!

They strived to be treated the same as everyone else, and now they have it, they don't know what to do but keep going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Nelson Mandela.

Obviously did a lot of good, but he is indirectly responsible for the murders of many innocent civilians.

He did plead guilty to over 150 acts of public violence. Many people seem to forget about that. Innocent people, including women and children, killed by Mandela’s MK terrorists. Mandela saw no issue with the planting of bombs in public areas.

Here is a list of some of MK's attacks:

-Church Street West, Pretoria, on the 20 May 1983
    -Amanzimtoti Shopping complex KZN, 23 December 1985
    -Krugersdorp Magistrate’s Court, 17 March 1988
    -Durban Pick ‘n Pay shopping complex, 1 September 1986
    -Pretoria Sterland movie complex 16 April 1988 – limpet mine killed ANC terrorist M O Maponya instead
    -Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court, 20 May 1987
    -Roodepoort Standard Bank 3 June, 1988

Yeah, and you even have the extra insight of having lived for a time without your injury so yours is definitely a perspective worth considering.

I don't care who you're after as long as I can have a go at the Greeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Clint Eastwood, legend, The Man With No Name, composer and Oscar winning film director.

He can have a monologue with an empty chair and people will still respect him.

This is what he did to Sondra Locke, the actress who made six films with him:
    Former longtime companion Sondra Locke blasted Eastwood in her autobiography, "The Good, the Bad, and the Very Ugly," writing that he persuaded her to have two abortions and a tubal ligation under false pretenses, sabotaged her directorial career after they split up, and secretly fathered two children with another woman during the last three years of their relationship.

Sondra Locke filed a palimony lawsuit against him in 1989, after he changed the locks on their Bel-Air home and had her possessions placed in storage while she was directing the film Impulse (1990). Locke dropped the suit in 1990 in exchange for a multiyear development-directing pact at Warner Bros. According to Locke, the deal was a sham, and she discovered that Eastwood was compensating the studio to keep her out of work by rejecting any and all projects she pitched. In 1995, Locke sued Eastwood a second time, for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. In 1996, just minutes before a jury was to render a verdict in Locke's favor, the two parties agreed to settle for an undisclosed amount.

Not exactly the stand-up guy he plays in his films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Aidan o Brien horse trainer
    Jimmy McGee
    Larry Gogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Gay Byrne

Can't stand that man

• Advertisement
Advertisement