Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relieve dog's itchy ear.

• 02-05-2015 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

His ears are really red with no wax or smell but he's been scratching all day to the point where he's leaving marks on the skin of his ears.

With the vets not being open until Monday, is there anything to soothe the itch to stop the scratching in the mean time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Canaural, you might be able to get it in a pet shop if you run... Sounds like he has ear mites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Is there black, coffee granule like discharge?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wupucus

try cleaning his ears with warm water and a small amount of salt dissolved in it- do it gently - use your little finger and just try and get into all the little crevices in his ear- he may well have mites- if so you will have to get medication from the vet- it is applied to the back of the dogs neck, its quite messy- you could also try trimming the hair on the inside of his ears- if his ears are really hairy they can irritate their ears-

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shaymus27

Some vets in Dublin use a shared emergency vet place.

Other vets in Dublin and vets outside of Dublin have an emergency number where one vet is on call. You could ring and speak to them if your vets is a vet with it's own emergency contact number. Don''t be afraid to ring your vet emergency no. They are not afraid to charge you large fees for little work if they are typical vets and if they care about animals at all should be only too willing to offer advice.

Google the problem but I would guess you might get a lot of answers and not know which is correct. Googling might give you a general soother for red/itchy ears. Just be careful and don't believe everything you read.

Check for mites. Small orange dots on the edge of the ears are harvest mites. I think other mites are black.

It could be an infection. If sudden itchiness less likely to be an allergy unless something went in to them that your dog is allergic to.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cebili5

Thanks for the replies,
    @Chloris not near any pet shops unfortunately. Used canaural a few ears ago for an ear infections; the infection had a lot of black waxy discharge, this times its just red and itchy.

@wupucus water and salts probably all I can do until Monday. Is there any issue with water making the his ears worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wupucus

no shouldn't be a problem- sometimes their ears are just full of dirt- its a catch 22 they scratch their ears with paws full of dirt that makes them itshy- the salt and water will just clean any crap out- also it will clean any small nicks caused by his nails scratching his ears- just use a small amount- just enough to clean them- then dry them out with cotton wool or a small bit of soft cloth - DO NOT use human ear buds- you could damage his ears- cotton wool or a soft cloth will do the trick- works for my retriever- her ears are full of crap after she scratches- also I get that stuff for mites twice a year and treat her-

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP,
    I'd strongly recommend that you at least call an out-of-hours vet, if only to check what's safe to use between now and seeing your own vet.
    It could be anything, and there is nobody here who can really safely offer you advice.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement