Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help finding a course!!

• 02-05-2015 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    Its 4 weeks away now to the leaving cert and im still not sure about courses. I find that when i know i want to do a course, i have alot of motive to study to get the points but when im not sure what i want to do i kinda brush off studying and dont feel any need for it.

My problem is i cant find a course thats fully suits me. My interest is computers but also drawing/sketching. I love messing around on solidworks from DCG in school, and its something similar to the DCG project id like to do as a job , design and create stuff from sketch then to modeling on computer and possibly making it.

Im okayish at Maths (HL), got a C1 in the mock. DCG i got an A1 and Physics B3.
    I have been told engineering but i know i wont be happy to go into college in september to a bucket load of calculus and complex numbers :/

If anyone could give me advice it would help alot!

Thanks

Subjects:
    English
    Irish
    French
    Maths
    DCG
    Geography
    Physics

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Architectural draughting?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 markysull123

theres no jobs for architecture anymore

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not sure that's true - maybe a couple of years ago, yes. Quite a few jobs on jobs.ie which I doubt is the main recruitment site.

but do you think architecture would suit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Or maybe some form of computer animation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

There'll be plenty of architectural jobs in the future, especially since new regulations are coming in that forces everyone to have proper builders and architectures when building a site. It looks like that could be something that would suit you, and I'd imagine architecture will all be done via computers in the future as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

In four years time things could have changed. Not saying there are no jobs there now.

Don't pick a course on job availability or salary.
    Pick a course that you will get a job doing what you like and enjoy every day.
    No point being unhappy in college and later work doing something you hate.
    If the op is interested in architecture then he should pursue it.

Thanks for all the replies :) EoghanIRL you have a fair point that you should get a job doing what you like.
    My interest is electronics and my ideal dream job would be to design phones, laptops etc.
    I saw a course in Dublin Design & Communications which looked promising but a portfolio must be submitted , and its too late now :/
    I looked at product design in some colleges but my Guidance councillor said that product design is a joke and that id be better off doing engineering????

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

Thanks for all the replies :) EoghanIRL you have a fair point that you should get a job doing what you like.
    My interest is electronics and my ideal dream job would be to design phones, laptops etc.
    I saw a course in Dublin Design & Communications which looked promising but a portfolio must be submitted , and its too late now :/
    I looked at product design in some colleges but my Guidance councillor said that product design is a joke and that id be better off doing engineering????

Guidance counselor is wrong. Product design is hardly a joke. If you think it looks interesting and would like to study it, do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

Would product design and technology in UL be of interest? A friend does it and there's loads of solid works and designing different things. Its a tough course with a lot of work involved but worth it if that's what you like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement