Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner car for short/petite person?

Options
  • 02-05-2015 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All,

So after test driving Fiesta, I ended up not getting it. I really like the look of it but when I sat inside, it was low on the ground and I can't reach the pedal. The wheel is closer to the driver and pedals are far to reach. Even my husband whose average height is uncomfortable with it. Seems like the car is only for tall people!

I created a poll about the three best learner car to drive that I am interested with and Yaris was the winner but does it suit shorter person like me (5ft) or can you suggest a learner car that would suit me where wheel can be adjusted and pedals can be easily reach? My budget is €2,500 max.

Also, does older Yaris (1999-2002) have ABS?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What height are you and your husband? My sister is about 5 ft 3" and has no complaints with her Fiesta. I'm 5 ft 7 and never had an issue with it. Did you try messing around with the seat/steering wheel adjustments? Maybe try the likes of the Panda. Clio or Jazz.

ABS was only made mandatory on cars from 2004 onwards. Up to that point it was generally only available on cars from the next class above the Yaris/Fiesta and even some of them did not have it. Its very unlikely you will find ABS in a pre 2004 Yaris unless the original owner paid extra for it when new.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ABS only came standard on the Yaris in mid 2003.
    Base model Yariss don't have a height adjustable seat.
    You need to get a Strata/Sol/Blue model for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

My missus is 5"1' and has an 06 Yaris without the height adjustable seat, and has no issues.

OP is looking at old model Yaris though.
    aygo might be a good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 teddyhenry

bazz26 wrote: »
    What height are you and your husband? My sister is about 5 ft 3" and has no complaints with her Fiesta. I'm 5 ft 7 and never had an issue with it. Did you try messing around with the seat/steering wheel adjustments? Maybe try the likes of the Panda. Clio or Jazz.

ABS was only made mandatory on cars from 2004 onwards. Up to that point it was generally only available on cars from the next class above the Yaris/Fiesta and even some of them did not have it. Its very unlikely you will find ABS in a pre 2004 Yaris unless the original owner paid extra for it when new.

Hi bazz26, thanks a mil again for response. I think he's might be around same height as you or 5'9 (I think). I didn't mess with steering wheel as I was put off by how far I have to reach the pedal. I felt like I'm laying in a sun bathing chair! Lol! That's interesting about ABS but I saw an ad for 2002 Yaris with ABS and Isofix on it. Not sure if the seller just put it by mistake?

Are Clios reliable? Heard bad about Pandas so it's not option. I will consider Jazz if I see a good price :)

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    OP is looking at old model Yaris though.
    aygo might be a good call.

Well in fairness she started the thread about the best learner car for a small person. The Mk1 Yaris was an afterthought at the end.:) Aygo is a good call. They usually go for a good bit cheaper than the Yaris.

Thanks everyone for replies. I should've been more specific with my post. Looking for budget max €2,500 :)

Clios are a good car, Renault always seemed to get them right. Aygo is a good shout too, a little smaller than the Yaris and Clio but that might suit you better.

Thanks Pablo128. Can I fit a toddler and baby car seat and buggy with it? Seems quite small. Also is there isofix in them?

• Advertisement

Peugeot 107 here too:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-107-se-2006-1ltr-5dr-nct-05-16-tax-02-16/9280566?offset=4

It's the exact same car as the Aygo but with slightly different styling.

Aygo is tiny though. Not really suited to carrying all that stuff.

Daihatsu sirion perhaps.

ABS only came standard on the Yaris in mid 2003.
    Base model Yariss don't have a height adjustable seat.
    You need to get a Strata/Sol/Blue model for that.

Thanks colm_mcm. You mentioned Sol for height adjustable seat. Is this applicable to old Sol trims or just Yaris Sols rom 2003?

teddyhenry wrote: »
    Thanks Pablo128. Can I fit a toddler and baby car seat and buggy with it? Seems quite small. Also is there isofix in them?

I genuinely dont know. I would imagine it has isofix and you would fit the seats in, but it would want to be nothing more substantial than a stroller to fit in the boot. The rear seats in the Yaris can slide forward a bit to fit more in the boot while still useable. I don't know if you can do that in the Aygo.

As someone else has mentioned, the Peugeot 107 and Citroen C1 is exactly the same car as the Aygo, so don't rule them out.

teddyhenry wrote: »
    Thanks colm_mcm. You mentioned Sol for height adjustable seat. Is this applicable to old Sol trims or just Yaris Sols rom 2003?

Sol right from the start had it. They're rare enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Peugeot 206 is another contender. Pedals are close together, seats are adjustable. Some give problems with electrics, but we had one that gave very little/no trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Seat on the fiesta should be height adjustable it is on my mk6 (03) if any thing I find I don't have enough leg room and I'm just shy of 6ft

How about Skoda Fabia or Nissan Micra? Are they the same seat as Fiesta? If it is, then I wouldn't put it on my list but if they have good seating for petite then I will consider it. Just wondering how reliable they are and do they have visibility for learner car? I read before to stay away with 03 Micras as they have issues. I wonder if it is true.

I wouldn't bother with a fabia or micra of that age tbh.

I wouldn't bother with a fabia or micra of that age tbh.

Thanks colm_mcm :) I will be in hunt this weekend and will make list of cars to test drive. How about VW Polo? Do they have abs, adjustable seat, power steering and are they reliable? Lest say post 1999 model?

• Advertisement

The polo and Fabia are essentially the same thing and share a not very good 1.2 engine.

Put a Daihatsu sirion on your list to drive

OP, very few cars the size you are looking at had ABS fitted back then.

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, very few cars the size you are looking at had ABS fitted back then.

Thanks bazz26, Is it better to learn in car with abs or not? To be honest, I'm leaning toward yaris though I haven't tried it yet due to reliability as what I have read. Just wondering what is the difference of Yaris with vvti and the one without? Also, is there difference/s between Toyota Yaris or Vitz?

All petrol Yariss are vvt-i
    Vitz is a Japanese import Yaris. Keep it simple and don't bother with one of those.
    If you can afford a car with ABS then absolutely get one. It's invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

My misses is 4ft 11in and she has no bother driving any car she's driven. Jeeps, m3's, bmw's clios, ibizas and her recent car a 2011 focus.

They've all got height adjustable seats so she's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I wouldn't think many cars of that age would have isofix as standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Mrs. Dord is learning at the moment and driving our 2011 Fiat Panda. She's 5' 1" and doing fine in it. There isn't isofix in it though from what I can tell.

Thanks everyone. I ended up getting a yaris! Perfect for me & I s a great learner car. I forgot to check the isofix though but what's important for me at the moment is learning to drive :)

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement