Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Part Time LLB

Options
  • 02-05-2015 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I am considering starting the Law Part Time LLB (which is, I understand, run in the evening, rather than during the day).

I am wondering what the quality of lecturers/ notes is like? Are the lecturers academics, or are they practitioners? If they are practitioners, are they well established, or would they be newer? Is the course semesterized, or are all the exams at the end of the year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 coopersock

Hi There,

I'm just about finished my first year of the Part-Time LLB in Griffith College Dublin.

The quality of the lecturers vary - most are practicing barristers, some only at the bar a year or two and some established practitioners also. A handful are academics on staff here. When I say quality, IMO I mean lecturers that make the lectures interesting, engage with the students and give help and good feedback. That said the ones lower down in my list give perfectly good lectures and notes. However, Law is such that you can get on perfectly fine attending no lecturers and just using the notes. I've found that the notes are generally of a high standard across the board.

First year exams have recently been changed from Semester 1 exams (January) and Semester 2 exams (May) to one just in May covering the whole first year course. I think the reasoning was that an exam at Christmas having only studied law for a couple of months was a bit overwhelming for some. First year marks don't count towards your final grade anyway. Then in year 2 and 3 the exams are in January and May, each covering their respective semesters.

Griffith is a good choice to do Law in P/T as they house the Irish Innocence Project, they also encourage you to get involved in mooting and FLAC etc. It's also a smaller "community" so easy to stand out/get a place on something/get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

Interesting. I had heard that Griffith College do depend a lot on practitioners, and that is something I have wondered about. I'm not saying the quality of lecturer would be lower, if they are a practitioner as opposed to an academic (especially if they are only a solicitor for a year or two), but is that not a possibility?

I see sense in their exam model, but does that mean years 2 and 3 are effectively semesterised?

Extra curriculars sound good. I did know vaguely about the Innocence Project (vaguely), but what are "mooting and FLAC"?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

How their degree stand out there, I read the degree can be see a a low degree ? Is that right ?

Advertisement