Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Luton

Options
  • 02-05-2015 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys, Im new to this so not sure if im posting in the right place. Basically, I am moving to Luton for a new job in September. I've heard that it is full of Irish people, but to avoid living there at all costs. I hope to rent somewhere within a commutable distance, I suppose nearer to london if possible. I will be moving over with at least one other person. Should we avoid living in Luton at all costs?
    TIA!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

irel10 wrote: »
    Hey guys, Im new to this so not sure if im posting in the right place. Basically, I am moving to Luton for a new job in September. I've heard that it is full of Irish people, but to avoid living there at all costs. I hope to rent somewhere within a commutable distance, I suppose nearer to london if possible. I will be moving over with at least one other person. Should we avoid living in Luton at all costs?
    TIA!

I'm not sure I understand you. Luton has a large immigrant population it's true, but the largest majority are either Afro-Caribbean or Asian. It's not the nicest place to live, but not the worst either.

Ask the mod to give you your own thread and get it moved to the UK forum. Click on the triangle. In the notes ask the mods to split out your post and move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Moved to UK forum.

Please note the charter there.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

irel10 wrote: »
    TIA!

The Irish people in Luton aren't Irish really, mostly 3rd and 4th generation at this stage, a large number of sink housing estates. Luton has some serious problems, it's the home of the English Defence League as well as some radical Islamic extremist groups.

It's also incredibly dull unless a night out at Wetherspoons followed by some scummy nightclub with metal detectors is your idea of a good night out.

Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

The best and most accurate advice that I can give you is that Luton has rapidly declined over the years and is now a complete and total ****hole with absolutely no redeeming features whatsover - l wouldn't consider living there under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I came to type 'You poor bastard'

But it seems everyone else got here first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

For what it's worth, it shouldn't be too hard to commute there while living somewhere closer to London for work purposes - for instance, you'd be half an hour by train from the West Hampstead Thameslink station.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mb20064

I hate to put a downer on your prospective new life, but considering everyone else is, I may as well tell it to you frankly!!!! I've been to Luton a fair few times when I was younger as I had family who lived there - now every single one of them have moved away because of the decline of the place. Most of them went to Bedford but theres a few in London as well. Last time I went there was a couple of years ago and it is a bit of a dire place - has it's nice moments too though. As regard to the Irish immigrant part, theres no more there then their is anywhere else in the UK and as NoCrackHaving says most of them are 3rd/4th generation. I think the most common ethnicity there is Indian and Middle Eastern.

Having said that though, don't let that put you off. You're moving over with a friend and you've already got a job sorted so you're in a good situation. If the two of you can get a spot in Luton together and take it, would be my advice - I wouldn't mind being in your position myself!!! Haha!

Best of luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

mb20064 wrote: »

Having said that though, don't let that put you off. You're moving over with a friend and you've already got a job sorted so you're in a good situation. If the two of you can get a spot in Luton together and take it, would be my advice - I wouldn't mind being in your position myself!!! Haha!

Best of luck!!!

Well that's all very upbeat but my advice would be that basically life is too short to spend any of it in a place as grim as Luton has now become. If the indigenous locals are all moving out what does that tell you ? ? *mod snip*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I live in Luton and have done for 26 years - like everyone else, avoid. South Luton, completely crap. North Luton, mostly crap with a bit of vaguely nice scenery for the retired rich (who have a lot of burglaries). The town centre is a hell hole with a vast array of weirdos and criminals. There are plenty of nicer places around here - Harpenden, Hitchin, St Albans for instance they're all quite expensive generally but not completely. Just don't touch Luton, it's bad enough and only getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Oh and there are hardly any Irish about anymore. Though we do have an Irish shop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Right, let's keep this back on the specific topic of advice about moving to Luton or otherwise. Badmouthing companies/former employer and UKIP-style complaints about foreigners in general are not the purpose of this thread, nor should they be considered suitable topics for digression.

Advertisement