Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet network security

Options
  • 03-05-2015 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

we use the same router in the house. When I was on my computer my house mate email came up on my computer as admin is he looking through folders on my computer or internet history because it came up and then disappeared im sure hes doing something. Can he do that? What access has he got to my computer? Any help would be great thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

If you are part of a Homegroup or Workgroup in Windows, then anything on your computer that is selected to share can be viewed by others on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AndThatsAFact

how do I unshared this? it wont let me? can he mess around with my android phone too because a few times he had it he was looking through try to "figure out" who owned it

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RossD12

Got this from Microsoft's website.

Open HomeGroup by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, typing homegroup in the search box, and then clicking HomeGroup.

Click Leave the homegroup.

Click Leave the homegroup, and then click Finish.

thanks also on my computer all the computers names come up all the computers have passwords but mine is open to all documents everything how do I stop this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Activating AP isolation on the router is the best solution but in the meantime just create a password for your account on your computer, make your account an Administrator and disable the main Administrator account just in case he knows the password if any.

It's very easy to get into someones computer on a network, by default the C drive is shared but hidden. A simple network scanner or the computer browser will give the computer name or IP address. With this it's just a matter of typing \\<computer name>\c$ in an explorer window to get access. Enabling the password or changing it, if you already had one set, will thwart that kind of access.

Ken

• Advertisement

Thanks very much, he's constantly at it

I don't know how to do that on the router hes the administrator. i click network and on my computer the names of the computers are on it all have passwords but mine does not does this mean they can all look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

ZENER wrote: »
    Activating AP isolation on the router is the best solution but in the meantime just create a password for your account on your computer, make your account an Administrator and disable the main Administrator account just in case he knows the password if any.

It's very easy to get into someones computer on a network, by default the C drive is shared but hidden. A simple network scanner or the computer browser will give the computer name or IP address. With this it's just a matter of typing \\<computer name>\c$ in an explorer window to get access. Enabling the password or changing it, if you already had one set, will thwart that kind of access.

Ken

It certainly is not shared by default. The public folder is the only shared folder by default, and even that is disabled unless a Homegroup has been set up.

OP, go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Advanced Sharing Settings. From there turn off Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing.

When i go to unshare those folders evertime i go to check if it has been done it somes back up as shared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Aside from any technical solution, you need to discuss this with your housemate and ask why his email popped up on your computer and why he keeps messing with your phone. If he denies all and you catch him at your phone again, tell him you will involve the police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I don't know how to do that on the router hes the administrator. i click network and on my computer the names of the computers are on it all have passwords but mine does not does this mean they can all look at it.
    Yours isn't going to come up as locked when your on it and using it. You'd need to use some one else's machine and trying to look at yours.

when ever I go to unshared in network options the folders just keep coming up as share when I go onto them. how do I password my computer from him accessing it an stop an access to my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

this or similar

https://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

set a password

I have avg will that effect anything

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

maki wrote: »
    It certainly is not shared by default. The public folder is the only shared folder by default, and even that is disabled unless a Homegroup has been set up.

OP, go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Advanced Sharing Settings. From there turn off Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing.

Have you done this? This is literally all you need to do. All network sharing will be disabled.

yes but there names still appear from time to time under my pictures documents etc and when a couple of times it had been turned off and i had to turn it on again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

From what you describe you have Homegroup set up and you are seeing your friends' homegroups as well which will appear down the left side of the explorer window.

How To Disable Homegroups on your Windows 7 PC.

How to set a password on your User Account.

If your housemate is remoting to your computer then you need to disable remote desktop and remote assistance. In Control Panel open the System panel. Click the Remote Settings link on the left side of the panel.

Uncheck the box beside Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer.

In the bottom section of the same window titled Remote Desktop select the Don't Allow Connections to this computer. button. This will depend on which version of Windows you are using of course and may not be visible on your version.
    Originally Posted by maki

Correct unless you're used to dealing with Domains, where it is enabled and accessible by the Admin account but thanks for pointing out that it's not on by default on stand alone pcs.

Ken

how do I password my computer on the network and how do I know no one else is in the group etc?

how do I know there is a password to get onto my computer through the network.network my computer is set private and it says allow windows to manage homegroup settings

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Have you tried conforming your house mate asking why or if they are accessing you computer?

Do you have a password on you computer ?

Also make sure you have file-share disabled on you computer.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=disable+file+share++home+network+windows+7

• Advertisement

i have a password to log onto my computer yes is this what you are talking about

Advertisement