Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From weeds to grass

Options
  • 03-05-2015 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

Hi, First time gardening post ( must be getting old ).

I have a garden area under half an acre which is now full of weeds ( especially those tall ones with the bright yellow flower/ head ).
    I had it cleared ( surface scraped with a jcb bucket last summer ) down to the soil but of course it's growing back as I didn't have the time nor money to tackle it since.
    I now have my petrol multi strimmer on the way this week so I'll give it a good clearing but long term what needs to be done to stop the weeds growing and grass start ? Maybe spray or something ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Depends on what "degree" of grass perfection you're looking for :)
    If you just want a green and grassy area with some daisies etc allowed then regular mowing will kill all of your noxious weeds and leave you with a perfectly passable grassy area. You can feed the grass too which will encourage it to grow and smother the weeds also.
    I'm a bit curious though when you say a JCB scraped off the top of it -- did you remove soil etc etc too? If you did then the remaining soil will be poorer and less suitable for grass and will possibly need more feeding and seeding.
    On the other hand if you want a grassy area thats like a putting green then you are in for a lot of killing, raking, seeding, feeding, rolling etc and might need expert help for such a big area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

No a putting green type scenario wouldn't be needed, just as you said, grass and a few Daisy's.

Yes the JCB did take a bit of soil when clearing but generally the soil looks ok, just needs to be loved and cared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Forefron t (spelling could be wrong) spray should do the job..
    Done 4 x 1acre paddocks and left a lush grass

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Forefron t (spelling could be wrong) spray should do the job..
    Done 4 x 1acre paddocks and left a lush grass

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Did you actually plant grassseed/lawnseed after clearing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

gk5000 wrote: »
    Did you actually plant grassseed/lawnseed after clearing it?

No, I had planned to rotavate it but really did not have the time to get to it.
    I'm not too bad now in regards to time and making a start at it.
    To be honest I wasn't too sure how to approach it.

Thespoofer wrote: »

Ok, others may give a more comprehensive response but something of the lines of

1. Strim and clear all cuttings
    2. Spray with weedkiller and wait a week or so - This may be an optional step
    3. Rotavate a few times in dry weather - to crumbly loose soil
    4. Rake and clear all rubbish, roots, stones, grass, weeds etc - weeds/roots should be on the surface after the rotavating
    5. Rake nice and level
    6. Spread lawnseed
    7. Wait

Thespoofer wrote: »

4. Rake and clear all rubbish, roots, stones, grass, weeds etc - weeds/roots should be on the surface after the rotavating
    5. Rake nice and level
    6. Spread lawnseed
    7. Wait

Spray with Weedkiller - Optional in my

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

gk5000 wrote: »
    5. Rake nice and level
    6. Spread lawnseed
    7. Wait
    Spray with Weedkiller - Optional in my

If you were going to use weed killer then don't strim first as the plants need some greenery to take in the chemicals.
    If you rotavate you will bring more seeds (and cut roots) to into germination. So maybe wait till after rotavation and surface prep to kill weeds off. If you use glyphosate at that stage you could spray weeds (when dry and growing) and sow grass in close succession.
    HTH

Advertisement