Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bike to work - do i get extra relief as a contractor?

• 03-05-2015 8:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been covered....

I'm a contractor under an umbrella company as a PAYE worker, so as well as paying all the usual taxes , I also have to pay employers PRSI.

Does that mean instead of getting a 52% discount, it will be more like a 60% discount ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

cojomo2 wrote: »

I'm a contractor under an umbrella company as a PAYE worker, so as well as paying all the usual taxes , I also have to pay employers PRSI.

Does that mean instead of getting a 52% discount, it will be more like a 60% discount ?

Thanks

No. The company has the liability to employers PRSI not you personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

bazermc wrote: »

But if s/he is the company? Do companies get part of the bike-to-work relief?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I pay the employers PRSI myself..as strictly speaking, I am the company.

I pay the employers PRSI myself..as strictly speaking, I am the company.

You may own the company but in a strict legal sense they are different entities. Hence the reason why you operate through a company in the first place.

But if s/he is the company? Do companies get part of the bike-to-work relief?

No relief only applies to employees PRSI and income tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭chickenlicken2

Yes it will work the same as any other expense. Deduction from your invoice value and remaining balance is then between gross & er prsi.
    Make sure you get it in company name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

You may own the company but in a strict legal sense they are different entities. Hence the reason why you operate through a company in the first place.

The point I'm making is that employers PRSI comes out of my pocket , from money I have earned ..so, if I buy a bike for 1k, this will be taken out of my gross monthly wage, and so surely I won't be paying employers PRSI on on that 1 k ,that I otherwise would ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭chickenlicken2

Assuming a monthly invoice value of €4,500 and a bike for 1000 paid in one month. Ignoring other expenses and management fees.

Invoice value less expenses 3500
    Gross pay 3,160.27
    Er Prsi 339.73

If no bike
    Gross pay 4063.20
    Er prsi 436.79

Btw of you are paying management fees to a company offering the payroll service or umbrella company service your fees should include answers for questions such as these.

The point I'm making is that employers PRSI comes out of my pocket , from money I have earned ..so, if I buy a bike for 1k, this will be taken out of my gross monthly wage, and so surely I won't be paying employers PRSI on on that 1 k ,that I otherwise would ?

Ah i get you,

From; http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/benefit-in-kind/faqs/cycle-work.html#cycle4

What are the benefits of the scheme for employers?
    The employer benefits in that the employer’s PRSI is not payable on the cost of the bicycle and/or safety equipment.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We have a megathread

It's linked in the FAQs

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement