Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats 8 - Brussels Sprouts 2

Options
  • 03-05-2015 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

So upset this morning to discover that all but 2 of my young Brussels sprouts plants (they were about 15cm tall) have been eaten overnight - just forlorn stumps left. I could have cried! They were semi under cover in a lean-to cloche. Fortunately the other young plants were untouched (beetroot, spinach, broad beans, leeks).
    99.9% certain rats are to blame as we've seen them athletically scaling our bird table and also around the compost bin (we have a stream bordering our plot and they come up from the river bank). Our (terrier) dog is a useless ratter unless they throw themselves at him and we can't get a cat so am thinking I'm going to have to resort to bait traps somehow...sigh.
    We stopped feeding the birds a week ago and so the rats must have decided to punish me!
    Any recommendations/other suggestions please? :mad:

Advertisement