Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your avg speed per bike?

• 03-05-2015 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭

My do-all steel Genesis Croix de Fer on 35mm slicks (commuting + long(ish) distance): 26.26kph

The same bike on underinflated knobbly tyres (CX training + racing) or heavy studded winter tyres: 22.44kph

Interesting. I was expecting bigger difference to be honest.

http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/annualSummary.php > Annual Speed By Bike

(based on Strava)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Alek wrote: »
    My do-all steel Genesis Croix de Fer on 35mm slicks (commuting + long(ish) distance): 26.26kph

The same bike on underinflated knobbly tyres (CX training + racing) or heavy studded winter tyres: 22.44kph

http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/annualSummary.php > Annual Speed By Bike

(based on Strava)

it's the engine that matters most. which I why across all my bikes my average speed is ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

True, but I'm still interested in differences between bikes using the same engine :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Road bike around 28-29 km/h
    Track bike around 34-35 km/h
    TT bike around 38-39 km/h

(although all have dropped a little over the past year or so)
    ;)

I would expect track bike to be on par with TT, no?

Impressive Beasty - are they from the tool above or your own calculations? Strava is quite funky in the way it calculates average speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

Normally on a long distance spin 26-28kmh.I did a fast 40km with a group recently and we averaged 32kmh surprised myself.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I log pretty much all my rides. This last year has been all about recovery from my accident and the road bike will have averaged a couple of km/h less than I indicated above during that period. Previously it benefited from the fact I used to treat pretty much every commute as a TT and also did a lot more road racing.

TT bike is based on what I achieve in the TTs adjusted for a bit of warm-up. The track bike involves a lot of training which will be in the low 30s. Races can often be in the low to mid 40s, but will be quite tactical. Will often be hitting the high 40s/low 50s in the sprints on the track. When I get my dedicated pursuit bike up and running I would expect it to be averaging 45 or more....

Of course pretty much the entire reason for the differences in my case is not the bike, nor indeed the engine. It's down to the discipline in which each bike is used, which was the reasoning for the smiley in my earlier post

averaging 45 or more

Hello from my universe! (waves)

;)

I count every bike activity in that 26.3kph, including shopping rounds and hangover commutes. Anyway I don't really think it would be higher than 28kph if I include only serious rides :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

2015 - 24.66Km/hr - 1250Km with 1000Km of that commuting. All on a Cube Peloton Race
    2014 - 25.29Km/hr - 2500Km with 650Km of that commuting. 2300Km of that were on a single speed and the remainder on the Cube. (started recording in July)

Should get to see more non commuting distance on there with exams finishing up soon and also feeling stronger on the Cube these days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Average speeds range from slow on my road bike to slower still on my hybrid. About 22kph over 100k-150k on the road bike with a couple of hills thrown in. Maybe 15kph-18kph on the hybrid off road on the likes of the canals, faster if its dry, slower in the mud. Both bikes are set up for comfort over speed, much like myself.

Hello from my universe! (waves)

I count every bike activity in that 26.3kph, including shopping rounds and hangover commutes. Anyway I don't really think it would be higher than 28kph if I include only serious rides
    In 2012 I averaged over 30 km/h across everything (including a wind assisted KOM harvesting commute - 23km at 38 km/h). That dropped to around 29 in 2013 as I was doing more specific training for racing

The benefit I have is a long enough commute away from the city centre where I can put a decent effort in without overdoing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I'm actually surprised the difference is that much, assuming all 3 tyres are 35 mm. I estimate the difference in average speed between my road bike (23 mm) and CX bike (35 mm knobblies) at only around 2 km/h on same routes. Different bikes I know, although same crappy engine.
    Does your data take into account different routes? For instance, are you using the underinflated tyres on tough CX routes, where your average speed may be lower anyway, regardless of tyre?

Does your data take into account different routes?

Yes! CX average is mostly from off-road rides, CX racing, snow&ice in Wicklow, etc.

Or commuting on studded tyres (1kg each).
    assuming all 3 tyres are 35 mm

The ones I use on the road are super light slicks (330g each - and this is for 35mm!), so they ride VERY differently from knobbies. Tailwind-assisted, I've done 200km with 34kph average on them :) Not a chance on CX tyres, unless towed :P
    I estimate the difference in average speed between my road bike (23 mm) and CX bike (35 mm knobblies) at only around 2 km/h on same routes.

Tried that too, CX tyres are approx 2kph slower indeed, everything else being equal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Colnago Master 29.54
    Felt Dispatch 24.46
    Felt Dispatch Commute 25.97
    Felt F1 26.39
    Focus Mares CX 18.67
    Focus Mares Commute 25.47
    PX Exocet 2 38.12
    PX Ti Sportive 23.11
    PX Ti Sportive Commute 24.00
    Raleigh Road Ace 24.75

I've two retired bikes on Strava that the list didn't include.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Only 10 bikes Taxman?
    What about all those classics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

outfox wrote: »
    Only 10 bikes Taxman?
    What about all those classics?

Only 7 bikes in my list. Some of the older stuff had rides that weren't recorded. Some I've yet to ride.:o
    I don't have the room to have built up bikes at hand to use, so some have been dismantled for storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fuji 25.9
    Ridley 27.8
    Fixie 27.7

(The Fuji would be used on long rides/Audax/sportives which probably explains the slower speed. The Ridley as a general commuter/all rounder. The Fixie on relatively shorter rides).

(Data doesn't seem to include 'retired' bikes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Here are my stats:

347484.png

All of my activities are included in there and range from races to slow meanders.

Polish bike? You got me curious :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Polish bike? You got me curious :)

It's my bike that my wife and in-laws bought for me to cycle when we stay at their place in Poland. It's a specialized allez sport. I've explored lots of northern Poland on it!

I was hoping you'll introduce me to some mysterious brand of super fast bikes made in PL, and all you had was a spesh....

:pac:

• Advertisement

I was hoping you'll introduce me to some mysterious brand of super fast bikes made in PL, and all you had was a spesh....

:pac:

Do you WANT to get sued?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

Average Speed (km per hr) 2013 2014 2015 Total
    Winter bike 26.98 26.27 25.61 26.14
    Summer bike 27.22 27.50 27.19 27.32

Winter bike is pretty decent, steel so slightly heavier but components are similar to summer bike. I've been trying to find as many hills as possible this year, which probably explains drop in speed on winter bike compared to other years. Surprising how consistent the summer bike averages are

Valuable reminder about wet conditions effects on average speeds this morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Valuable reminder about wet conditions effects on average speeds this morning...

I find i go faster in the rain, less people in the bike lane :)

Advertisement