Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a really thorny bush

Options
  • 03-05-2015 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Couple of neighbourhood kids are starting to pass over the back wall at a gap in the ivy "hedge", through the garden, and so I'm looking to fill the gap. Barbed wire, and glass n cement are ideas that would probably only get retribution from said kids.

Thus, looking for a thorny busy. Preferably one that doesn't need much nurturing, or has already grown a bit, to ensure it's not killed off by the kids before it even starts to grow. It'll be getting a decent amount of sun, and the soil is good. As it's outside the main bit of garden, we don't mind if it's bramble.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Pyracantha. Grows like billy-o, and very very thorny. Fairly nice looking as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

I'll second Pyracantha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Pyracantha. Grows like billy-o, and very very thorny. Fairly nice looking as well.

billy-o ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Sea Buckthorn is another good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Third pyracantha, or hawthorn or blackthorn or sea buckthorn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

I like the Hawthorne and blackthorn.
    Using cement and glass would have a serious legal side should one of them be injured

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

If you've got room, a rambling rose, it's lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Another vote for blackthorn and Holly would be a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

I like the Hawthorne and blackthorn.
    Using cement and glass would have a serious legal side should one of them be injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'll also add Berberis thunbergii 'Atropurpurea' and what imo is the thorniest berberis Berberis Julianae.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Gorse. Looks great in full bloom and impenetrable by kids. I use it for the same reason and it works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Am currently cutting back a pyracanthia and will -ouch!- vouch for this. You'd want to be wearing full armour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I have nothing to offer in the way of gardening advice, but I can get you plenty of black grease. A smear of that all over their Sunday finest and they'll think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Pyracantha here as well, flowers in summer, berries in winter and evergreen. Grows very well and nice long thorns. Normally trim mine every two years or so to keep it tidy and always dread it as the thorns really hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Pyracantha is a vicious plant, thorns are incredible I hate trimming ours.

I'd hate the thoughts of jumping into one over a wall or through gap in hedge, perfect for your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

this should put manners on them-it did on a neighbouring farmer.....

https://gardeningattheedge.wordpress.com/2011/07/18/the-killer-rose/

Prunus persimilis is excellent too-great fall colour and berries

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

pablo128 wrote: »
    I have nothing to offer in the way of gardening advice, but I can get you plenty of black grease. A smear of that all over their Sunday finest and they'll think twice.
    Something like this will only garner retribution for the local kids. One of the veg has already "disappeared" (hole left behind), so anything non-nature won't be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

And the lovely apple-smelling-in-rain wild rose eglantine - though when I say wild, I mean wild. You'll have a good time cutting it back as it roves all over the place, plucking at sleeves.
    What does your garden back on to? A friend had the same problem with her garden and a football field in Corcagh Demesne and the Corporation fixed the fence, which kept her free from retribution.

Advertisement