Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troubleshooting old self-build

Options
  • 03-05-2015 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

A few years ago I built a PC with help from this forum.

Being in the spare room and having a laptop and a phone, I'd forgotten about it for years until recently. Problem is it won't boot up. Everything is as I left it the last time. I've checked for lose connections, all fans start up, num lock key on keyboard works, there's no sound coming from the hard drive. The cd/dvd drive makes a sound that repeats maybe every second but it won't open (the green light flashes once when I press the button).

Any ideas where the problem could lie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Anything on the display?

Try removing the ram and reseating it, or without ram, and then one stick at a time. Clearing the CMOS might work, there's a little silver, disc shaped battery in there. Remove it and wait 10 minutes, then push it back in and try again

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

Thanks DS. Nothing on the display. Reseating the ram didn't work. And taken the battery out... didn't work either.

Any beeps when you try to boot it with no ram?

Nope

Likely the motherboard then, though its possibly the PSU. Any friends or shops where you can test a different PSU?

• Advertisement

We may have some lying around at work from old PCs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Unplug the dvd drive as i've seen a dodgy one causing a pc not to boot.

I'm afraid I tried that also...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Remove psu and plug it in onits own. See if fan of light comes on. If it makes a noise its probably working. Check fuse in psu plug too.

Advertisement