Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a house on RAS, what next?

Options
  • 03-05-2015 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    I have applied for the RAS and they said I have to find a house, so now i've found one, where do I go from here? can I move in while waiting for them to process it, like on the rent allowance or do I've to wait. The landlord wants to sign a contract tomorrow. with several people to choose from, i'm worried if I wait, i'll lose it and i don't have long to be out of my current home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

You can't move in while the RAS is being processed.

You have found a home; your next step is to inform the council-give them the Landlord's name and the address of the property.

They will enter into negotiation over the phone with him regarding the rent the Council is willing to pay (usually less than the Landlord wants).

If he agrees to it, you will have to wait up to 8 weeks for the Council's inspector to come and inspect the property; make sure it's up to standard, has it's BER rating and make a note of things that need to be done.

While you're waiting for the inspector, you cannot move into the property and no rent will be paid to the Landlord while this is going on.

So, essentially, it's up-to-an 8 week waiting game before you can move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JessicaH1991

oh crap I haven't got 8 weeks, do you think it'd be a problem if I just pay myself till the process finishes? how do they think landlords will wait around for 8 weeks :O

oh crap I haven't got 8 weeks, do you think it'd be a problem if I just pay myself till the process finishes? how do they think landlords will wait around for 8 weeks :O

No way, you cannot do that.
    And I know 8 weeks is a long time to wait, but it's one of the downsides of the RAS scheme.

i've 4 weeks till i'm homeless. I've been looking for months! no way she will wait that long :(

i've 4 weeks till i'm homeless. I've been looking for months! no way she will wait that long :(

Did you research RAS before you went looking?
    And how long have you been on the housing list?

You do realise once you sign for RAS, your name is removed from the housing list, don't you?

There isn't anything you can do about the 8-week wait but you could tell the council about your predicament and maybe they could speed it up?

• Advertisement

I done some research but there's little info on it. I've been on the list 3 years and signed up to ras and got accepted a few months ago.
    yeah I guess i'll just have to ring and hope for the best, it would have to be a bank holiday wouldn't it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Make sure its within limits set out and you check it well for anything that may stop them allowing you take it (to big for you,smoke alarms,mould etc) basicaly up to standard.

Its hard to find places that accept RAS,RA etc so snap it up if suitable and contact your local TD to try fast track the process (not sure but threshold,the hub or few other places may be able help advise with fast tracking it).

Also if LL allows you wait till its processed they also will have alot paperwork pluz the council inspection and negotiations(if was already on RAS scheme might be faster) make sure you pay your portion of the rent.

I would take it only if you can afford pay the LL full rent until payment comes through and can see no reason it they would refuse that property.

goodluck

Th3B1tcH wrote: »
    Make sure its within limits set out and you check it well for anything that may stop them allowing you take it (to big for you,smoke alarms,mould etc) basicaly up to standard.

Its hard to find places that accept RAS,RA etc so snap it up if suitable and contact your local TD to try fast track the process (not sure but threshold,the hub or few other places may be able help advise with fast tracking it).

Also if LL allows you wait till its processed they also will have alot paperwork pluz the council inspection and negotiations(if was already on RAS scheme might be faster) make sure you pay your portion of the rent.

I would take it only if you can afford pay the LL full rent until payment comes through and can see no reason it they would refuse that property.

goodluck

You can't do this; it's fraud.

The OP is applying for a home through RAS.

Part of the rules are that you have to wait until the inspector is finished with his inspection; you cannot move in while that's being done.

What happens if the OP moves in and then when the inspector has been, he deems the property unsuitable?
    What will happen to the OP then?

And as for you not seeing a reason for them refusing the OP the property, they could very well refuse it if the place isn't up to standard and the LL isn't willing to make the alterations.

PS If you are approved OP, and the whole thing goes ahead, you are not allowed to pay any money to the LL. You will pay the Council 10% of the rent, they'll pay the rest.

well my plan was to put a deposit on it and pay the rent till the inspector comes and views it. that way she will keep it for me, I can't see why they would say no to the house. It will be hard money wise for a month or 2 but I'm really out of options and have my heart set on this house! even if I have to pay the rent and not move in till it's done. i'm not sure if that's a good move or a desperate one.
    thanks for your replies :)

well my plan was to put a deposit on it and pay the rent till the inspector comes and views it. that way she will keep it for me, I can't see why they would say no to the house. It will be hard money wise for a month or 2 but I'm really out of options and have my heart set on this house! even if I have to pay the rent and not move in till it's done. i'm not sure if that's a good move or a desperate one.
    thanks for your replies :)

Fine but if the council find out you've been paying the rent, you'll be in trouble. By the way, the rent your LL wants is not the rent the council will pay. Say your rent is €900, the council will most likely offer a rent of €750/800.
    And if that's the case, you are legally not allowed top up the rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

I lived in a RAS house, we sourced it ourselves, spoke to landlord, council contacted him and we moved in a week later. The inspector was out in this time and advised on couple of things to be done to bring it up to their standard, these were done within a few days and that was that. It can be done fairly quickly. We've come off the scheme now but still in same house as landlord kept us at same rent council was paying him.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Fine but if the council find out you've been paying the rent, you'll be in trouble. By the way, the rent your LL wants is not the rent the council will pay. Say your rent is €900, the council will most likely offer a rent of €750/800.
    And if that's the case, you are legally not allowed top up the rent.

yeah I know it's not exactly 100% legal but if the option is homeless and sticking to that rule or doing what I can to find a home for me and my son, I might have to go with that. I know i wouldn't be the only one either as most people are in the same situation.

fima wrote: »
    I lived in a RAS house, we sourced it ourselves, spoke to landlord, council contacted him and we moved in a week later. The inspector was out in this time and advised on couple of things to be done to bring it up to their standard, these were done within a few days and that was that. It can be done fairly quickly. We've come off the scheme now but still in same house as landlord kept us at same rent council was paying him.

I really hope this is the case!

Advertisement