Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for somewhere lowcost as a work-from-home alternative in city center

Options
  • 03-05-2015 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Our home is getting renovated and I'm going to be without internet for a few weeks. At the moment I'm between jobs, looking for employment in the IT/Web Development sector. I spend most of the day working on personal projects to improve my portfolio and being unable to do so for the next while is going to be a serious setback.

Is there anywhere in the city centre, kind of like a coffee shop with free wireless, where I can setup for the day without having to shell out for beverages all day? For reasons too long to list I can't join the library but are there any similar options available?

I know this is a long shot, I just thought I'd ask and chance my luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Libraries are best really, you don't need to join to use reading rooms I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

you dont need to join a library to use it. you only need to join to take books home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tiptoetwirl

mhge - From what I've read you need to be a member to access the wifi? Unless there are certain libraries where this is not true?

bpb101 wrote: »
    you dont need to join a library to use it. you only need to join to take books home.

As I said to mhge - what about wifi? Don't you need to be a member to access it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

mhge - From what I've read you need to be a member to access the wifi? Unless there are certain libraries where this is not true?

I don't think I needed my card to access wifi in my library but just give them a call and ask.

Thanks mhge, I'll do that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

You could go to any college and ask for the wifi password.

They all have rooms for laptop users to work uninterrupted.

As I said to mhge - what about wifi? Don't you need to be a member to access it?
    afaik no. i think you have to book desktops but wifi is free to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you can certainly use the wifi in the ILAC library without being a member.

Also if your home broadband is with Eircom you can use any of their hotspots listed here

• Advertisement

eeguy wrote: »

colleges all have their own unquie login per student . There no one password
    You could go into them however and lan in but they dont like that

loyatemu wrote: »
    you can certainly use the wifi in the ILAC library without being a member.

That's great to know because that's the one I was thinking of using. Thank you!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

eeguy wrote: »

Third level institutions' WiFi usually require a student username and password.

OP, bear in mind that it's exam period and that libraries will be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

If you were willing to buy a dongle, which I think you can get reasonably cheaply with a monthly rolling contract, it wouldn't matter whether you were a member of the library or not.

Also, check out local enterprise centers. I think they often have space for any kind of entrepreneurial activity.

could also see can you find a few horizon wifree spots if your with upc

Advertisement