Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC EPL Champions 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Worst champions ever (ignoring Man Utd 2012/13 and Leeds and Blackburn, oh hell.).

Probably the worst team ever full stop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Combination of Chelsea game and Palace game. Had they beaten Palace would have made it a little more difficult for City the draw just handed it to City on a plate.

Losing to Chelsea cost Liverpool the title, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Worst champions ever (ignoring Man Utd 2012/13 and Leeds and Blackburn, oh hell.).

I don't know I hear The Wednesday team that won it in 1903/04 were a little sterile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Utd 95/96 82 pts,
    Utd 96/97 75pts,
    Arsenal 97/98 78pts,
    Utd 98/99 79 pts,
    Utd 2000/01 80 pts,
    Utd 2010/11 80 pts,

We've got 83 so far, we're better than all of them, we're some way off the best champions ever but sure theres always next season. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Utd 95/96 82 pts,
    Utd 96/97 75pts,
    Arsenal 97/98 78pts,
    Utd 98/99 79 pts,
    Utd 2000/01 80 pts,
    Utd 2010/11 80 pts,

We've got 83 so far, we're better than all of them, we're some way off the best champions ever but sure theres always next season. :pac:

When you've won as many as United there's bound to be a few worse ones. Law of averages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I'd rather be the worst champions than not champions...

Some people's memories are just not long enough to make that statement ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Will Liverpool be giving us the guard of honor nest week?

When you've won as many as United there's bound to be a few worse ones. Law of averages :)

They all count, whether its a 90 pts total and you win by 10pts or 79pt total and you win on GD.

All that matters is the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Utd 95/96 82 pts,
    Utd 96/97 75pts,
    Arsenal 97/98 78pts,
    Utd 98/99 79 pts,
    Utd 2000/01 80 pts,
    Utd 2010/11 80 pts,

95 in '05? Next year? I bloody hope not!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

niallo27 wrote: »
    Have a read back son. I didn't bring up a single game from last year that apparently cost liverpool the title. I was replying to that post. I never knocked his tactics I was just wondering why he changed a winning formula half way through the year.

Ok you must be blinded by rage, I wasnt talking about last year at all, I was talking about your post I quoted everything I refered to is this year.

• Advertisement

Yup but it doesnt really matter IMO.

Liverpool have more to play for, theyve to win every game and hope Utd lose at least 1 and drop pots in another.

Both sets of outcomes are highly unlikely as Jose will field a strong side.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I can't believe 75 won it one year. Some years that wouldn't get you CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ok you must be blinded by rage, I wasnt talking about last year at all, I was talking about your post I quoted everything I refered to is this year.

The post you quoted from me was a reply to a post about Rodgers from last year. I never said you were talking about last year.

L'prof wrote: »
    95 in '05? Next year? I bloody hope not!!!

96pts in 04/05 :P

We drew one or two games that we shouldnt have, could have been more, although Cech did save us a few times.

I cant see that total being beat in a while, the league is too competitive now.

Few people have mentioned that. There is no bad blood between Liverpool and Chelsea. Why would it be a big deal.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I can't believe 75 won it one year. Some years that wouldn't get you CL.

League has moved on, the gap in quality is still large but even the poor sides can give a championship side a bloody nose, look at Burnley this year for example against and City home and away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

96pts in 04/05 :P

We drew one or two games that we shouldnt have, could have been more, although Cech did save us a few times.

I cant see that total being beat in a while, the league is too competitive now.

Twas 95 that year, the only game we lost was after 6 or 7 games if I remember correctly, to a dog **** City side. Also only 15 goals conceded. To me, that's the most effective team in the PL ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Few people have mentioned that. There is no bad blood between Liverpool and Chelsea. Why would it be a big deal.

Ha, you wouldn't think it by reading this thread :pac:

Twas 95 that year, the only game we lost was after 6 or 7 games if I remember correctly, to a dog **** City side.

Oh s**t ya, we needed 96 to beat that record, my nad.

Think we drew to everton away 0-0 and Drogba had a goal or two wrongly ruled out also.

• Advertisement

Broadcasters will make something of it, nobody else.

Ha, you wouldn't think it by reading this thread :pac:

Touché.

I'm only coming across as bitter if I keep going. Well done Chelsea. I'd love to be in your position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think these guys were

ireland-liverpool.jpg

They didn't even get a trophy for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Not saying its a big deal i was just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Well deserved winners. Every other team that thinks they can challenge next year really need to up their game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Going to be one hell of a knees-up tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

DVDM93 wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan I seen my team play some of the best football I've ever seen played last season. They finished second.

This year, people argue that Chelsea played quite the opposite style of football (after Xmas) They won the league.

I know which of the two I'd rather, ten times over. A league title please and I wouldn't give two ****s if people called it boring. I'd argue that deep down everyone else feels the same but are just a little upset as Chelsea are unlikable at times, similar to Mayweather as they were compared to earlier. I doubt Mayweather cares that he didn't please people with a fight you'd see in a Rocky film. 48-0 and 120ish million better off, Premier League champions and 3 games to go. Why would you give a fcuk what anyone else thinks?

Congratulations Chelsea, and a fair amount of that done without their main striker. Worthy champions. They could only beat what was put in front of them, and they did. Whether or not the standard of the league was the worst in years is another question.

Enjoy Chelsea.

Great post, couldn't agree more. I've often found that people (pundits excepted because they are paid to be contrary) bleating on about how sport should be entertaining first and foremost are likely to not have played competitive sport themselves. Chelsea in every sense as a club have put the required work in and have reaped the benefits. They haven't been lucky, they are deserved champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

At the end of the day deserved champions , Jose and his staff got the team grinding it out after Christmas once a good lead was built up. That's how you win leagues even if you do go into boring mode as some people call it. At the end of the day they are champions and are worthy champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No great surprise, expected to be champions for months now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Brilliant in the first half of the season awful but efficient in the second

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well done to Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Well done Chelsea. The best team by miles over the course of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

My point was they were winning the league playing that way. Why change what's working.

An 8 point lead was wiped out in 2 and a half weeks. We all know that you only comment to provoke a response(which is great for the lads behind who are lapping up activity on the site) but at least have a bit of insight into what you're nitpicking at. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

It's not hate at all. I just don't know why Chelsea fans find it hard to admit they are terrible to watch for the majority.

They're better to watch this season than Liverpool :p

Love you Niallo. You're the only reason I sign in, to read your witty, insightful and all-knowing footballing opinions. :)

Don't ever change.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

The Invincibles were dull as dishwater at times and had a load of draws.
    12 of 38 games to be precise.

They also lost more games that year than Chelsea have so far but we won't mention that at the moment.

Don't want to bring the thread off topic and congratulations to Chelsea on winning the league, deserved winners this season. I don't think that they will have it as easy next season though.

But no way were the invincibles dull during that season ffs, they played entertaining and winning football at the same time. Doesn't matter about the amount of draws, they went for the win in basically every game that season, sure they won the league and with four games to spare, so as dominant as Chelsea have been this season.

Yeah Gav they may have lost more games that year but lost precisely 0 games in the league, something that may never happen again. Got further in Europe, further in the FA cup that season than Chelsea did this season, fair enough Chelsea did a double this year with the League cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Not in Barcelona's case. They won plenty of fans over with their easy on the eye style of play. Ditto Arsenals 'Invincibles'.

Eh ... I beg to differ there ... I know plenty of people myself included that <insert banable content here> ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Yay! :D same place, same time next year?!

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    An 8 point lead was wiped out in 2 and a half weeks. We all know that you only comment to provoke a response(which is great for the lads behind who are lapping up activity on the site) but at least have a bit of insight into what you're nitpicking at. :)

City came into form as well. The league was competive up to Christmas due to the lead being wiped out. Is Chelsea's form that much better in the second half of the season than the first. I think Chelsea were unnecessary defensive in the second half of the season which cost them in the CL and might cost them in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

City came into form as well. The league was competive up to Christmas due to the lead being wiped out. Is Chelsea's form that much better in the second half of the season than the first. I think Chelsea were unnecessary defensive in the second half of the season which cost them in the CL and might cost them in the future.
    Look what happened to Chelsea last season. Were top at the end of February (by about eight points or something) and managed to throw it away. I think that's why Mourinho was obviously afraid of that happening again so it's probably why he deliberately battoned down the hatches.

Personally, I would love it if we could play free-flowing football and win the title at a canter but it wasn't to be. Especially considering what happened last year, I'm perfectly happy for us to close up shop in order to guarantee the title, which is what we did. Also, it was completely essential to deny Man U and Arse points in those two games. If we had opened up and played expansive free-flowing football, we could easily have lost both games, especially with the form both teams were in at the time. By playing our way, we got four points and our rivals took one out of a possible six.

If you don't like it, fine, but I'm absolutely delighted to have a title, even if we did it in a boring way, than getting all the plaudits for playing free-flowing football but ending the season trophyless.

And I guarantee you every other Chelsea fan agrees. Surely as a Liverpool fan, you can understand why people would feel that way? Not having a dig, just generally trying to appeal to you in some way so that you might understand why Chelsea fans accept this style.

@halloween jack . As a Liverpool fan I would accept having to batten down the hatchets towards the end of the season to win a league title. Jose learned a valuable lesson last year and wasn't going to be fooled again.
    Last season Liverpool would have won the league if they had the ability to Batton down the hatchets but they didn't they had to play all out attack because it was the only way they could win it.
    Football is a game of two core things good defence and good attack and Chelsea showed both of these this year and are deserved champions. Maybe a few managers should look at Jose and say he has got a good balance to it.

• Advertisement

Look what happened to Chelsea last season. Were top at the end of February (by about eight points or something) and managed to throw it away. I think that's why Mourinho was obviously afraid of that happening again so it's probably why he deliberately battoned down the hatches.

Personally, I would love it if we could play free-flowing football and win the title at a canter but it wasn't to be. Especially considering what happened last year, I'm perfectly happy for us to close up shop in order to guarantee the title, which is what we did. Also, it was completely essential to deny Man U and Arse points in those two games. If we had opened up and played expansive free-flowing football, we could easily have lost both games, especially with the form both teams were in at the time. By playing our way, we got four points and our rivals took one out of a possible six.

If you don't like it, fine, but I'm absolutely delighted to have a title, even if we did it in a boring way, than getting all the plaudits for playing free-flowing football but ending the season trophyless.

And I guarantee you every other Chelsea fan agrees. Surely as a Liverpool fan, you can understand why people would feel that way? Not having a dig, just generally trying to appeal to you in some way so that you might understand why Chelsea fans accept this style.

I'm not saying you shouldn't accept this style. I already said I would love to swap with you. Arsenal and Utd is fair enough but yesterday Chelsea were at home to a team already on their holidays, midweek two goals up against a team in the relegation zone. You not think its unessarly defensive.

@halloween jack . As a Liverpool fan I would accept having to batten down the hatchets towards the end of the season to win a league title. Jose learned a valuable lesson last year and wasn't going to be fooled again.
    Last season Liverpool would have won the league if they had the ability to Batton down the hatchets but they didn't they had to play all out attack because it was the only way they could win it.
    Football is a game of two core things good defence and good attack and Chelsea showed both of these this year and are deserved champions. Maybe a few managers should look at Jose and say he has got a good balance to it.

What games do you think Liverpool should have gone defensive in as matter of interest. Chelsea have the defenders to do it I don't think liverpool have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It isn't an either or situation. It is possible to do both and the truly great teams do so.

That's not to say congratulations are not in order for winning the league but there is absolutely nothing wrong with declaring it boring. It is humourous how most Chelsea fans refuse to realise that and need to defend their win as an either/or situation.

As said in January, a Chelsea fan took offence at me calling Mourinho the ultimate 1-0 manager. Look at his results in the past month. Perhaps some Chelsea fans think he is a revolutionary or 'special' manager, but he isn't. Some of them believe they never had a chance last season when in reality they blew it trying to do the same thing.

It worked this season, congratulations. It'll be the same next season, it'll even likely be the same 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'm not saying you shouldn't accept this style. I already said I would love to swap with you. Arsenal and Utd is fair enough but yesterday Chelsea were at home to a team already on their holidays, midweek two goals up against a team in the relegation zone. You not think its unessarly defensive.

I think if costs or Remy were fit the last 4 or 5 games we may have seen a different approach in a few of the games. Arsenal away was always going to be defensive and against Utd mourinho was happy to let utd keep possession . Chelsea have the players and the manager at their disposal to take both approaches none of the other top English sides do.

What games do you think Liverpool should have gone defensive in as matter of interest. Chelsea have the defenders to do it I don't think liverpool have.

Towards the tail end of the season BR should have decided I'll take a draw from Chelsea it was good enough. Then he could have closed up shop against palace and done the job against Newcastle and LFC where champions. The reason why Gerrard slipped was ye fact LFC where trying to force the game too much on Chelsea and got punished big time.

Towards the tail end of the season BR should have decided I'll take a draw from Chelsea it was good enough. Then he could have closed up shop against palace and done the job against Newcastle and LFC where champions. The reason why Gerrard slipped was ye fact LFC where trying to force the game too much on Chelsea and got punished big time.

I don't agree liverpool were comfortable against Chelsea until they were gifted a goal. Gerrard slipped because he slipped he was under no pressure. When do you go defensive against palace at 1-0 2-0. Maybe he should have gone defensive against City and settled for a draw. Gone defensive against Norwich at 2-1 and could have drawn 2-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You can say what you like about Chelsea as a club and their fans etc, but on the pitch, they certainly aren't boring. That's just a Mourinho stereotype. They have been pure quality this season and dug out the results when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Wouldn't be a big fan of Mourinho at all in terms of personality or anything but at the end of the day he sets his team up accordingly. It may not be easy on the eye given the high quality of players they have at their disposal. However, it's effective. They did it in a way that worked and now look at them.

It's a moot point but if West Ham employed stifling tactics and it won them the league, it'd be praised to high heaven and beyond.

Overall, it has been a pretty poor season but that's not Chelsea's fault. Just nobody there to consistently challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Yeah, I'd rather we played in a different way (I've already mentioned this) but it got the result.

You could see yesterday the team was nervous and as the game wore on and we were holding on to the lead, it was almost natural for us to fall back and grind out the result. If we'd opened up, Palace could easily have done us. They are a decent side under Pardew after all. I'm quite happy for us to rest on our laurels and get the job done.

Again, after our colllapse last season, I'm quite happy to get it done right this year. I would like to see more goals in the side and more adventure but if this style is winning us trophies, I can't really complain. Bear in mind our 20-goal striker is out and our back-up striker is also returning from injury so we've been playing with a 37-year-old who is well past it. This needs to be addressed for next season as it happened again last year. He kinda addressed it this year but it obviously wasn't enough if it's happened again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Job Done by CFC...Congrats!

Advertisement