Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can visitors to Ireland take out money from their accounts?

Options
  • 03-05-2015 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello, just wondering if anyone knows if tourists or immigrants to Ireland can access their money here. My girlfriend is coming from Venezuela and has a Maestro card with Mercantil bank in Venezuela, can you access your money from all atms in ireland? regardless of where your account is in the world and the currency of the country of origin?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

She should really check with her own bank, but probably..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

kop1121 wrote: »
    Hello, just wondering if anyone knows if tourists or immigrants to Ireland can access their money here. My girlfriend is coming from Venezuela and has a Maestro card with Mercantil bank in Venezuela, can you access your money from all atms in ireland? regardless of where your account is in the world and the currency of the country of origin?
    Thanks

Generally, it shouldn't be an issue when the ATM has a Maestro or MasterCard symbol on it, but as above it would be wise for her to check with their bank in case there are any particular restrictions on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kop1121

Ok thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I strongly suggest she checks with her bank, Venezuela had in the past restrictions on what their citizens can withdraw on foreign ATM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Also the atms in ireland do not give you the option of selecting savings or chequing accounts, they default to chequing accounts. I had issues with my canadian card as it was setup for a savings account, had to get them to switch it over to chequing for it to work here

• Advertisement

Double check it with your own bank. Maestro works here in general but the Bolivar has had such problems that banks may be reluctant to deal with it. Also, if they do deal with it, the rate might be very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Also the atms in ireland do not give you the option of selecting savings or chequing accounts, they default to chequing accounts. I had issues with my canadian card as it was setup for a savings account, had to get them to switch it over to chequing for it to work here

That's not a issue with Irish ATMs as they do allow multiple linked accounts for their own cards. However, those features aren't supported by the international networks so, if you're using your cards abroad in general you'll be unable to access linked accounts.

Basically ATMs here will accept Visa, Visa Debit, MasterCard, MasterCard Debit & Maestro, most will accept American Express and JCB cards.

If your card doesn't have one of those brands, it may not work outside of your own bank ATMs as it won't be recognised by other ATMs

Check with your back as there's no reason why Maestro shouldn't work here. Fees and rates charged by some banks can be quite high so again you'll need to ask.

Advertisement