Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

A mate was killed today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I could not believe it when I saw it lads. Saw the report on the news but there was no name. Then saw a post here and that was that, it all clicked with me.

I met Aidan a couple of times and he treated me like he knew me forever. He was with Alan McAffrey in Cork for the An Post Rás, the cycle race and they were marshalling it so I popped over to where they were staying for a natter. Helped them out once with the RevUp when it was in Cork and that was brilliant.

I feel really saddened about it so I can only imagine what his closest friends and his family feel. He was an outstanding guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Caught the procession around Citywest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKQmGCm3W20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Caught the procession around Citywest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKQmGCm3W20

Crikey. Respect!

Wish my bike was running, would have loved to join it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Aidan got a great send off, the amount of bikers out was astounding, RIP Aidan, you'll be really missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Hi all,

Not a biker and have no connections to the biking scene but have spend everyone of my 40+ summers in Kilkee so I just wanted to log on here and pay my respects.

The huge convoy bringing the man on his final journey was one of the most powerful images I have ever seen. It was a credit to the biking community and reflected very well on Aidan. From reading about him last night and today the world has lost one of the good ones.

Condolences to all of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Terrible loss. Anyone that did have the pleasure of meeting him will know that he made you feel like his best mate from the first conversation.
    I have known Aidan for years and I'm truly shocked at his loss.

The world was a better place with him in it.

Rest In Peace Magnets. You will never be forgotten .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I too have no connection to the biking community and wouldn't know Aidan except by reputation. Close friends of mine benefitted hugely from the work of Aidan and his fellow fund raisers in recent years, after their little girl was born with DS. They themselves say they couldnt have done it without DSI.

Losing a selfless man like Aidan in any circumstances is just so hard to get your head around.

Keep fighting the fight and do it for Aidan, as well as all those families.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Owen101

NIMAN wrote: »
    May he rest in peace. Just reading the news stories he will be such a loss to so many. Thoughts are with his wife and kids at such a sad time.

Makes You really question God, if he does exist how can this be explained away, taking such a good man who did so much for others.

I never met Aidan but this great man packed more into his few years than I or many more could ever hope to. Even if had 10 lifetimes. Be thankful for the time he was with us, the great work he started and the beautiful memories he left. They will live forever... we are only here but for a moment.
    His story truly is humbling and in it are many lessons to be learned. Consider others, be thankful for what you have, make the most of every day you are here. RIP Aidan, I wish you well on your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thegreek

There are many people who will think of Aidan as their closest friend.
    I am lucky enough to be one of them.
    I was driving one of the support vans on this years Rev-up as I have for the previous 3. And another 4 on bikes.

I and my friends are devastated by the loss but nothing compares to what his wife Nikki and his 3 wonderful kids Harry, Jake and Robyn must be going through.

Ride on Ted.
    Zorba

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

thegreek wrote: »
    There are many people who will think of Aidan as their closest friend.
    I am lucky enough to be one of them.
    I was driving one of the support vans on this years Rev-up as I have for the previous 3. And another 4 on bikes.

I and my friends are devastated by the loss but nothing compares to what his wife Nikki and his 3 wonderful kids Harry, Jake and Robyn must be going through.

Ride on Ted.
    Zorba

We'll have crossed paths so.

Although I wasn't to go on the run, I was slagging Aidan that it was for richer bikers than me but he had talked me into registering for the Cycle De Gaps for DSI on May 16th.

In the Gypsy Rose on Sunday we were swapping stories from the old Barnstormers Bar days to more recent times.

I'll never forget receiving the news from my brother (Aidan called him 'Snails' because he's so fecking slow on his bike.. He's an MCI paramedic too).. "Have you been on facebook?"... "no, why" "Aidan was .............."

And the world became a darker place.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thegreek

Maki I have no doubts that are paths have crossed.

We may even find ourselves looking at each other and saying "oh that's who you are"

Pete The Greek Trevaskis
    Dead Duck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Hi Pete, Jay Nolan - jaycen from the old biker. ie days.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

We may even find ourselves looking at each other and saying "oh that's who you are"

Pete The Greek Trevaskis
    Dead Duck

Well if you're even in the Gypsy Rose you'll find me at the door, and sometimes press ganged into tending the bar when they're stuck.

I've marshalled on a few runs too ~ usually accompanied by a warning from Chevas 'NO F*CKING WHEELIES LENNY' lol

The bike is off the road at the moment, booked in for a clutch replacement so I'll be in the cage tomorrow and wishing like hell I was riding with you guys.

Be safe man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Tragic loss of a righteous man.

RIP Aidan, condolences to his family & friends at this saddest of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Just back from the funeral there at lunch time, some turn out and a fitting miserable morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

The last few days have been an incredible testament to an incredible community, have the utmost respect for the biking community after what I witnessesed over last few days. What a send off for an amazing man. The sense of pride among the bikers I spoke with brought me to tears many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

traineeacc wrote: »
    The last few days have been an incredible testament to an incredible community, have the utmost respect for the biking community after what I witnessesed over last few days. What a send off for an amazing man. The sense of pride among the bikers I spoke with brought me to tears many times.

Any man who can reduce a pair of FJR1300 dog-bones to fragments during a lively gallop of the 'Della commands respect. :D

So long Magnets. Goodbye boss.

What a bloody send off, boy God that was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jonny1gixer

What a bloody send off, boy God that was amazing.

Its good to hear he got the send off he deserved. I'm sorry I never got to the funeral (work) but for a man that gave so much to get the send off he deserved is great to hear.

The more I hear about Aidan the more I think there should be a day organised respect him like he deserves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Independent.ie have a report on Aidan being laid to rest, and a gallery of images showing just how many people turned out to say their farewells - the sheer scale is itself a powerful image, IMHO. I couldn't make it myself, but saw good representation from the group I'd have met Aidan through, and they look to have been but a small part of the overall crew paying their respects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Was that Aidans old gsxr thou in the pictures? The Schwatnz rep?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

From the other bIker site.
    credit to wes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Pete The Greek Trevaskis
    Dead Duck

Think that might be true about a lot of us on here over the years.

Saw this on the DSI Facebook page earlier, don't think anyone will mind me putting it here ........

The Angel of the open road
    Came for my friend one day
    She pulled along beside him
    Said "It's time - you cannot stay'
    These earthly, winding, twisting bends,
    You've chanced them with your biker friends,
    But there are others I can show-
    Come ride with me, we have to go"
    He asked if he could say goodbye
    To those he'd leave behind.
    She smiled and said 'They'll hear you friend
    Within their heart and mind.
    So open up that throttle now
    And set aside your fear.
    We'll ride beyond the rushing wind-
    Don't worry I'm right here
    Lay down your earthly body now,
    Your spirit's safe with me".
    She led the way, he followed on,
    And now my friend is free.
    Aidan - Our colleague, our friend, our inspiration, taken too soon, sleep tight, Rest In Peace.

RIP Aidan and Sympathies to his Family and Friends.

Joe CMCC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There is an old Viking prayer. I last posted this in honour of Marco Simoncelli. It seems appropriate here:

Lo there do I see my father;
    Lo there do I see my mother,
    my sisters and my brothers;
    Lo there do I see the line of my people,
    back to the beginning.
    Lo, they do call me,
    they bid me take my place among them,
    in the halls of Valhalla,
    where the brave may live forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

lennymc wrote: »
    Was that Aidans old gsxr thou in the pictures? The Schwatnz rep?

Yup , stuie was riding it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Never posted in this forum but my god I am so very sorry. RIP. It was on the front page of Boards...so so sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Didn't get to go on a DSI run yet but I do hope Aidan's good work continues for many years to come

My Thoughts and condolences are with all his family and friends

Keep safe all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

I hoped to get up to the funeral , couldn't but watched the online feed from the church . Very poignant .
    Aidan was a man who made a huge difference to so many.
    I have been meaning to do the Rev-Up for years, and next year I will, to honour a better man than I could ever hope to be .
    RIP Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AD!

Rippy wrote: »
    I hoped to get up to the funeral , couldn't but watched the online feed from the church . Very poignant .
    Aidan was a man who made a huge difference to so many.
    I have been meaning to do the Rev-Up for years, and next year I will, to honour a better man than I could ever hope to be .
    RIP Ted.

Well said. I'm in the same boat as you so I will make the effort next year to honour him.
    RIP

Advertisement