Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Clare stopped Dowling from open play, but were giving away handy frees.

Dowling played well against Tipp last year, but only scored a goal from play; in fairness to ye, ye kept a decent leash on him. He still set up a good few scores though.

I'd agree with this, largely because of the Tipp backs, full back seems to be the only potential weakness.

Surprisingly, Limerick had the largest spread of scorers of any team in the league. We get (maybe rely on) quite a few points from our mids and half backs, so if Dowling is held we will still build a score. But we also lob a few wides from the middle of the field and I'd generally prefer to see us giving better ball to our forwards than shooting from distance. Dowling was essentially double marked against Clare while Lynch was left in loads of space. Tipp are more likely to trust their backs to go man to man and will close down Lynch more but may leave more space for Dowling. It's a big ask to mark all of Dowling, Hannon, Mulcahy and Lynch out of the game IMO.

At the other end Bubbles and Bonnar are the major threats. McCarthy does well on Callanan.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

I wasn't aware of what way the qualifiers were working out this year, so I looked up the draw. Here it is:

Round 1
    Round 1A Clare v Leinster Quarter Finalist
    Round 1A Leinster Quarter Finalist v Leinster Quarter Finalist
    Round 1B Munster Semi Finalist v Leinster Semi Finalist
    Round 1B Leinster Semi Finalist v Munster Semi Finalist

Round 2
    Round 1A winner v Round 1B winner
    Round 1B winner v Round 1A winner

The two Round 2 winners go through to the Quarter Finals to play the losing Leinster and Munster finalists.

Round 1 really should be open draw!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

donnem33 wrote: »
    Round 1 really should be open draw!!

Seems a pretty odd draw alright, not complaining as a Clareman but if the above is correct the provincal semi finalists look to have a much higher chance of an extremely tough game first time out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wasn't aware of what way the qualifiers were working out this year, so I looked up the draw. Here it is:

Round 1
    Round 1A Clare v Leinster Quarter Finalist
    Round 1A Leinster Quarter Finalist v Leinster Quarter Finalist
    Round 1B Munster Semi Finalist v Leinster Semi Finalist
    Round 1B Leinster Semi Finalist v Munster Semi Finalist

Round 2
    Round 1A winner v Round 1B winner
    Round 1B winner v Round 1A winner

The two Round 2 winners go through to the Quarter Finals to play the losing Leinster and Munster finalists.

That's wrong afaik.

Round 1 will involve 2 pots . Pot 1 3 Munster teams and 1 leinster Prem round team. Pot 2 4 leinster teams. They will be paired with one another

Munster team Vs leinster team
    Leinster Prem team Vs leinster team

Round 2 4 winners of round 1 paired off. 2 winners go to qf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Latest scores from the LSHC:
    Laois 0-25 Offaly 0-18 (Throw-in 15:40)
    Westmeath 1-12 Wexford 1-23 (Throw-in 15:30)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Good result for Laois if they hold on, seem to be continuing their upward curve

It's nearly over and Laois are winning 0-28 to 0-19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Well done Laois! Jesus Offaly just seem to be goin tru the wars last few
    Years

Full-time: Westmeath 1-16 Wexford 1-24

Wexford to play KK in the Leinster semi-final. Westmeath join Dublin, Clare, and Offaly in the qualifier series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

What an absolutely unbelievable result for Laois. First win over Offaly since 1972. They just needed to get a big scalp under their belt and today is that day. I know Offaly are no great shakes but it's still a win vs. a local rival in the Championship. Great stuff :)

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I think laois will have a big summer dis year. They will beat offaly and won't hold any fear in the semi final. I think at home they could beat a Munster team
    What's your basis for that?

In NHL 2015, they lost to Limerick, Wexford, Waterford, and Offaly. And the only games they won were against Antrim (twice). Overall they only scored 4-115 and let in a whopping 12-119.

And in the round robin series of the LSHC, they lost to Antrim, and only narrowly beat Carlow and Westmeath.

(And Antrim appear to be very poor this year).

What Munster team could they beat? :confused:

Great prediction PTH2009.
    I'll hold my hands up, I really wasn't expecting Laois to win today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Will Kerry compete in Leinster next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Was telling people yesterday that Cheddar would get his big win and fair play to himself and the Laois team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

ya watch that drivel from the Aviva stadium put on by overpaid prima donnas, then a few hours later Waterford v Cork, amateurs giving everything for their jersey!

well done Laois!

Will Kerry compete in Leinster next year?

Yep, Kerry in Leinster in 2016.
    Fair play to them. It's well deserved.

Antrim will be in the Christy Ring Cup in 2016.

Derry are playing Carlow in a promotion/relegation play-off AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Yep, Kerry in Leinster in 2016.
    Fair play to them. It's well deserved.

Antrim will be in the Christy Ring Cup in 2016.

Derry are playing Carlow in a promotion/relegation play-off AFAIK.

Mad Ted. Not sure Leinster is the most apt name anymore but as you said fair play to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

You'd have to be crazy not to jump on Tipp for Munster and the AI now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Vanolder wrote: »

Madness, Tipp will be doing well to beat Limerick.
    Not impossible, but we really need to stop conceding so many frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Does anyone know when the qualifier draw is being made?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Patrick Wheelock

Tssk wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the qualifier draw is being made?

We all know what'll happen.

Offaly will get the handy draw (as usual) vs Westmeath

while Dublin and Clare will have to fight it out.

The Biffos will win with a last minute poxed goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Westmeath would beat Offaly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Are Offaly now in the round robin next year? With laois straight into the Leinster championship proper

But how are they going to win Munster and the AI if everyone has jumped on them. They'd be kind of squished and sore.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

KevIRL wrote: »
    Are Offaly now in the round robin next year? With laois straight into the Leinster championship proper

Yes Offaly in round robin with Westmeath, Carlow and Kerry. Only way they will get out is if they beat the team in quarters like what Laois did today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Highly unlikely as there will be 8 teams in the qualifiers ( all beaten quarter and semi finalists) . Group 1 has 4 beaten Leinster teams and Group 2 has 3 beaten Munster teams and 1 Leinster team. 4 Group 1 teams vs 4 Group 2 teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Why not just put Kerry in the Munster championship where they belong. OK that Munster is very strong but we all want them in there and surely they want to be there too? Congrats to Kerry BTW, Munster hurling Abú!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

O Riain wrote: »
    Why not just put Kerry in the Munster championship where they belong. OK that Munster is very strong but we all want them in there and surely they want to be there too? Congrats to Kerry BTW, Munster hurling Abú!

Kerry with the greatest respect to them and I'm delighted they won let's be realistic and logical about this have little chance beating limerick cork waterford clare or tipp now to be fair
    And while they won't beat KK Dublin or wexford or Galway at least have chance v westmesth offaly carlow etc and possibly in time Laois

Ideally one day I suppose but it'll surely be of more benefit to them in the short/medium term at least to be playing with the second tier leinster sides where they could be competitive and possibly pick up a few championship wins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Mad Ted. Not sure Leinster is the most apt name anymore but as you said fair play to them

If Antrim didnt get relagated, there would be a ream from every province in Leinster next year. :-)

But to be fair, I think the Leinster qualifying group has been a good success. The teams in it get more competitive games at their level which is what they need. Laois and Westmeath played well today and have improved. I think the next round is Westmeaths 5th championship game this year which is good, the are making good progress under Michael Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

If Kerry finish in the top two of the qualifier group they enter the Munster championship. Read it for yourself in the "CCCC proposal 2014 to 2016.pdf" document (throw it in to google, will be the first result)

One change has been made to the structure outlined in that proposal (which was ratified in 2013) and that was following a suggestion made by the 20:20 review released earlier this year; the Leinster qualifier group will not reduce to 3 teams as was originally envisioned from next season and the relegation/promotion play off has been abolished, the Ring champion now automatically taking the place of the 4th placed team in the qualifier group.

It was stipulated that if a team from the qualifier group defeats one of the 10 teams who automatically qualify that that those teams would effectively swap status, so people are correct in stating that Laois don't have to qualify for Leinster next year and that Offaly do.

However, the GAA have form here, they have moved the goalposts before to suit the top 9/10 counties before now and I suspect something may be done for the benefit of Offaly over the winter and we may be faced with another amendment to the format.

One oddity which most likely wont occur (but at the same time can not be ruled out) will be what happens if Offaly win their first qualifier match against one of the Munster teams? Then you could end up with a qualifier group containing Kerry, Carlow, Westmeath and one of Cork, Limerick, Clare or Tipperary! It wouldn't really be fit for purpose then, the first three would be ate alive by the other Munster team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

We do? They do?

They'll get hammered in Munster, against Westmeath, Offaly, Antrim, Carlow and Laois they'll be competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Its a pity The Sunday Game didn't show longer highlights of the Westmeath V Wexford and Laois V Offaly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Its a pity The Sunday Game didn't show longer highlights of the Westmeath V Wexford and Laois V Offaly

Yeah Laois got some incredible long range points that weren't shown at all including a 100 yard free converted by the 'keeper.

Thank god waterford are not in the qualifers there's going to be some hard games in that. Cork, clare or dublin will be out of the championship by Munster final day.

I'd expect Galway to beat Laois but you never know. I have a feeling Wexford will beat Kilkenny. A laois vs Wexford Leinster final would be something

Hard to know who will win the other Munster semi final. I think it will be a draw and tipp will win the replay. If it's a Tipp vs waterford Munster final it will be Limerick but waterford would not mind playing it in thurles .

Think Galway will win the all Ireland this year

• Advertisement

Thank god waterford are not in the qualifers there's going to be some hard games in that. Cork, clare or dublin will be out of the championship by Munster final day.

I'd expect Galway to beat Laois but you never know. I have a feeling Wexford will beat Kilkenny. A laois vs Wexford Leinster final would be something

Hard to know who will win the other Munster semi final. I think it will be a draw and tipp will win the replay. If it's a Tipp vs waterford Munster final it will be Limerick but waterford would not mind playing it in thurles .

Think Galway will win the all Ireland this year

Tipp will trounce Limerick and are massive faourites for the All Ireland at this stage.

The back door is gonna be a nightmare- More than likely gonna be pot1. Clare, Cork, Limerick and W. Meath - pot.2 Dublin, Offaly, Wexford, Laois. A trip to Croker or Wexford park would be a real horrible fixture for any of the teams in pot.1... The second round get's even more brutal - you could have Cork, Clare, Limerick and Dublin vying for two spots. All great for the neutrals I suppose.

Alanhooly wrote: »
    Yeah Laois got some incredible long range points that weren't shown at all including a 100 yard free converted by the 'keeper.

Last week they showed highlights of Fermanagh and Antrim in the Ulster Football Championship and the game was analysed after, yet they only show short highlights of hurling games outside of the big teams games,its a bit lop sided coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Last week they showed highlights of Fermanagh and Antrim in the Ulster Football Championship and the game was analysed after, yet they only show short highlights of hurling games outside of the big teams games,its a bit lop sided coverage.

And the thing is the full Fermanagh Antrim game was shown on BBC NI anyway...:confused:

I did see someone saying that one thing that is probably keeping the bottom-tier football counties from coming out more strongly in favour of a an intermediate/B competition/ 2nd tier All-Ireland is the fear that RTE will treat it the same way as they treat the non-Liam McCarthy hurling competitions.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    And the thing is the full Fermanagh Antrim game was shown on BBC NI anyway...:confused:

I did see someone saying that one thing that is probably keeping the bottom-tier football counties from coming out more strongly in favour of a an intermediate/B competition/ 2nd tier All-Ireland is the fear that RTE will treat it the same way as they treat the non-Liam McCarthy hurling competitions.

That Leinster qualifying group gets very little coverage as well,we only saw highlights of the last round of games,all be it probably 5 minutes of highlights,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Tipp will trounce Limerick and are massive faourites for the All Ireland at this stage.

The back door is gonna be a nightmare- More than likely gonna be pot1. Clare, Cork, Limerick and W. Meath - pot.2 Dublin, Offaly, Wexford, Laois. A trip to Croker or Wexford park would be a real horrible fixture for any of the teams in pot.1... The second round get's even more brutal - you could have Cork, Clare, Limerick and Dublin vying for two spots. All great for the neutrals I suppose.

Tipp were meant to trounce Limerick the last two outings in the Munster Championship and look how that worked out. Tipp could come out and trounce Limerick in the same way that Limerick could trounce Tipp. Tipp could be very leggy due to the training camp underway and I suspect that we may be caught short against Limerick.

I would have Tipp as favourites but this early in the year Tipp are a bit of an unknown quantity in the sense that they have been caught out at this stage before only to come back and end up in an AI final through the back door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭danceswithwolf

Does anyone know who was number 12 for Laois yesterday? Not sure if he played, small detail is annoying me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Does anyone know who was number 12 for Laois yesterday? Not sure if he played, small detail is annoying me.

Cha Dwyer Harps Gaels up to U21 then Ballinakill Senior.

i think the all ireland semi finals will be

Wexford (Leinster champions) vs Clare
    Tipperary (Munster champions) vs Kilkenny

Clare vs Kilkenny final with kilkenny winning

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

I think your mad

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

thesamster wrote: »
    I think your mad

Only joking Clare will be booking the holidays for September. they might watch it in a beach bar somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

When & where is Galway playing their next match?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

RubyGirl wrote: »
    When & where is Galway playing their next match?

Next saturday June 20th against laois in Tullamore at 5pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

i think the all ireland semi finals will be

Wexford (Leinster champions) vs Clare
    Tipperary (Munster champions) vs Kilkenny

Clare vs Kilkenny final with kilkenny winning

General Public be warned: PTH has got the worst record on Boards of predicting the outcome to any GAA contest.

I've never known the Tipp camp to be so quiet, they are coming out blazing for Limerick.. Limerick on the other hand are in disarray- training has been a shambles and not helped by injuries. Those bellies and arses are getting bigger... I expect Tipp to blow Limerick away in the opening 10/15 minutes, there will be some serious home truths delivered to the Limerick camp on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I've never known the Tipp camp to be so quiet, they are coming out blazing for Limerick.. Limerick on the other hand are in disarray- training has been a shambles and not helped by injuries. Those bellies and arses are getting bigger... I expect Tipp to blow Limerick away in the opening 10/15 minutes, there will be some serious home truths delivered to the Limerick camp on Sunday.

Lad you're incredibly boring with the sarcasm/attempt to build Tipp up. Give over

• Advertisement
Advertisement