Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not-for-profit Apps

Options
  • 03-05-2015 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows off any organisation or similar which funds the development of non-profit mobile apps?

Basically I have an idea for a get-home-safe type app which would allow users to 'ping' a friend they're concerned about to ask if they got home safely.
    If the friend in question doesn't reply within a specified time frame then their location is automatically sent to the user.

This is a pretty basic description, I can provide user stories and functional specs if anyone's interested.

From research there doesn't seem to be anything like this currently available which doesn't require active response from the friend in question - not very useful if they're passed out somewhere.
    I think it would appeal to people on nights out and parents of teenagers (I know I would have made great use of it when I was in college!)

The obvious issue is that while potentially useful I can't see any financial potential from it - aside from funding it myself I don't see any way of getting it made.

If anyone has any ideas (or think it's a good/awful idea for an app) I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

thats a lovely idea, towards late summer i could help code it if you wanted. Then again i am a novice coder and also am only able for android

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows off any organisation or similar which funds the development of non-profit mobile apps?

Basically I have an idea for a get-home-safe type app which would allow users to 'ping' a friend they're concerned about to ask if they got home safely.
    If the friend in question doesn't reply within a specified time frame then their location is automatically sent to the user.

This is a pretty basic description, I can provide user stories and functional specs if anyone's interested.

From research there doesn't seem to be anything like this currently available which doesn't require active response from the friend in question - not very useful if they're passed out somewhere.
    I think it would appeal to people on nights out and parents of teenagers (I know I would have made great use of it when I was in college!)

The obvious issue is that while potentially useful I can't see any financial potential from it - aside from funding it myself I don't see any way of getting it made.

If anyone has any ideas (or think it's a good/awful idea for an app) I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

I've seen a few apps doing something similar, have you researched these and how would yours compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

IF you want to go talk to people and organise a team to get together and build it, and dont mind it being open source, then go along to this crowd:
    http://codeforireland.com/

You can get up and give a description of your app and if people like the idea of it, they'll join your team, and you can all work together on it.
    They won't give you any funding though.

Advertisement